Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2012, 01:00 PM

Good boys!

Well, good Jake... and kind of good Arrow

I was in the garden hanging washing out this morning, and Arrow was playing on the grass... next thing, I see a black thing in the corner of my eye, and Arrow bouncing along behind it. I looked, and it was a bird!

I noticed the wing was injured, so I grabbed Arrow and put him in the house, and grabbed a towel. I tried to catch it, but it went through a wee gap in the fence. I carried on what I was doing, but worried about the poor thing being played with by a cat.

I went in to get changed to take Jake for his walk, and I looked out the kitchen window... and there was the bird again. So, I grabbed the towel and tried to catch it again... again though, it got under the fence.

Off I went with Jake, and on my way back what do I see wandering towards me down the pavement... the bird! This was two hours later, and a fair walk for a bird... I was then worried because we had a wall at one side, and the road at the other. I had my zipper tied around my waist, so I took it off and got as close as I could.

I was worried about Jake too though, he likes to chase things, and I was trying to hold his lead as short as I could in case he tried to grab it. But, he was brilliant! He just stood there, watching it I managed to get the zipper on it, and Jake had a sniff as I was picking it up but he didn't do a thing!

I was so pleased with him! I don't trust Jake around animals like that, so he exceeded my expectations with the bird! He even sat nicely and watching while I popped him in a box etc. The bird looks to be missing some feathers, and we are currently waiting for the SSPCA to pick it up. I think it is a jackdaw.

Jake did brilliantly though, and Arrow, well he did well to let me see that the bird was injured
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Well Done Jake!

Louie would've eaten it. He's a fan of live prey first the baby pheasant (I feel awful about that) then a pigeon I found him plucking up the garden. So Yes, Well done Jake!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Aww good dogs
Not sure what mine would do - if it wasnt moving then they would likely not hurt it - but scare it to death
if it was moving tho I doubt it would stand a chance
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Maybe Jake thought "oh well it'll be a nice replacement for Arrow ". But seriously what a funny little bird to keep coming back for you to catch, hope he's ok
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Well Done Jake!

Louie would've eaten it. He's a fan of live prey first the baby pheasant (I feel awful about that) then a pigeon I found him plucking up the garden. So Yes, Well done Jake!
If it had been a rabbit, it would have been a goner

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Aww good dogs
Not sure what mine would do - if it wasnt moving then they would likely not hurt it - but scare it to death
if it was moving tho I doubt it would stand a chance
I definitely thought he would have had it... he loves to chase any bird in the park. This one wasn't moving fast, but because it couldn't fly away, it was flapping about and trying to run, so I thought that would get him wanting it.

Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
Maybe Jake thought "oh well it'll be a nice replacement for Arrow ". But seriously what a funny little bird to keep coming back for you to catch, hope he's ok
Haha, oh I bet that is so true
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Well done boys.

I'm afraid birdie would have been lunch for my 'orrible lot, depending on who got to it first.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2012, 02:47 PM
The SSPCA came and got the bird... The guy thinks the wing is broken and if it is (which I expect the guy is right), he will have to be PTS. At least he won't suffer a long death, either by struggling along for days or being played with by a cat, before death.

On a plus point, the dogs got a big fuss off the guy and he said he has a black and white BC, and we talked about how people keep asking what Arrow is crossed with because of his colour
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Well done Jake and Arrow and you for rescuing the bird

Birds are about the only thing Ted doesn't chase which is nice as we get quite a few visit the garden.