Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
i never said those without them have problems...just what they are used for(and hence why they often rip).
Yup, that's why he kept damaging them - he's a ball obsessive kinda guy.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-04-2012, 09:29 PM
i keep dew claws nice and trimmed,they catch in material,threads and carpets.it was a snag in a carpet that damage one of my dogs d/c
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-04-2012, 09:41 PM
thanks rune,here in can/its more widly excepted than in the u//k i think.but change has already begun,the us.i would say,its slowly happening as well,im going to look it up,and see whats happening ,with crop issues.soon ,i feel it will be illegal to own as well.and i would also say that my cropped dogs do not head into town to be seen,im not tatooed,dont sell drugs,im not the image some would think and iv got no issues with my manhood!im on the fence about the crop issue ,because iv got 2.this is all good info and thanks for shareing
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
I don't like 'chopping bits off just in case' either which is why I wont chop his balls off without reason If he had retained one or any other sound medical reason he should have been neutered then fair enough, I would, as it would be for his benefit, otherwise it would just be 'chopping bits off just in case'

If I neuter my dog or if I dont it will make no difference to the amount of rescue dogs that die every day so I just dont see the sense in me doing it to him.
I understand what you are saying, but not everyone has a choice in the matter.

I don't know if my opinion would change if I was given a choice over whether my dogs were neutered or not, but I have met dogs on walks that are in season... and I often wonder, what would have happened if Jake had been entire... I, afterall, had no idea they were in season until the owners have happened to mention it. I've learnt with many things, that other owners can't always be trusted to do what, IMO, is the 'right' thing to do... like not walking an in season bitch off lead in a busy dog walking area...

Then of course, there are the stories of how far some dogs will go when they catch the scent of an in season bitch... Again, that may be something that my opinion would change on if I had an entire male... and I imagine is different depending on the individual dog. I do believe though, that as long as a male is entire, then there will always be the chance of them mating and producing more dogs into the world...

I think some people who neuter are responsible but some arent. Different people do it for different reasons. But the lab that has been allowed off lead and out of sight to charge my dog over and over as well as crossing the road to get to him and other dogs, are they responsible dog owners, since their dog is neutered? not IMO or experience they are not. For many its seen as an easy way out, an excuse and a fix-it-all cure, which is not. Others may have very valid reasons for neutering and be responsible about their decision.
I don't see the point with the reference to the Lab? What has that got to do with him being neutered?

I know people with entire dogs who are, IMO, irresponsible. One guy I know lets his dog hump the majority of females in the park, they haven't been in season so no risk of unwanted litters in those cases, but it isn't fair on the females. They are constantly trying to get away from him, and he is so incredibly persistent. He even grabs their tails because the majority of them are much faster than him, and if he gets a good position, he holds on to them so tightly... so much that he gave one of the dogs painfully looking red marks from where he was holding on. He is a heavy dog which makes it worse...

Anyway, this thread is about ear cropping, not neutering... I just posted about neutering in response to the comment comparing the two.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 10:50 PM
Just want to add..... When I was 13 I went on a school trip to Paris and we visited a famous (now gone*) French department store, Samaritaine. This was around 1974.

Me and a friend went up in the elevator to the pet department and I will never forget what I saw... A puppy (Dobermann) on sale with stitches all around the edges of its ears.

At the time I felt truly sickened, I couldn't imagine why or how someone might have taken a needle and thread to a dog's ears like that

Of course I knew nothing about ear cropping and had never seen a cropped dog, since it had been banned in my country in 1899, I had no idea it had ever happened, or existed anywhere in the world.

*despite its policy of selling pets, that store was an amazing place - I revisited a couple of times in the 80's and 90's - untouched architecture from the Art Nouveau period and I was very sorry when I heard it had closed down for good.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 10:57 PM
Ive never actually heard of a dobe having arthritis around the toe joints due to front dew claw removal. This is a pretty standard procedure for dobe pups. and I think saying cut off all their toes just in case is taking things a bit far...its obvious to me the difference between the front toes and the dew claws how potentially serious injuries may occur.
The stidues were done on agility dogs in America I think. Basically the idea is the front dew claw is attached properly then the bones all mesh together in the wrist like a nice jigsaw - each one supports the other. So if you remove one then, especially when the dog is turning at speed, the wrist can twist slightly - and of course over the course of many years each slight movement can a tiny bit more wear out the joint
As I read it it is not a case of removing them will CAUSE arthrite in all dogs, just that it increased the odds a little

Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post
My dog has injured her front dewclaws several times, involving trips to the vets, and lot of discomfort - she certainly would have been better off without them.
Yup I have seen it sometimes too and it is not nice I know, all the dogs I know are firmly attached and close to the leg, it is possible that we are breeding some dogs badly in respect to the dew claws? imo perhaps that should be addressed rather than chopping them off
My dogs very much use theirs and (touch wood) no problems. Mias are not as well developed as Bens and do not wear down as much as his but they both very clearly use them

Two of my dogs that have had their front dewclaws removed have no joint instability or arthritis. Strange or what?
From what I read it is not something you would be able to see, its just a tiny minute rotation, so not strange, its a long term increase in the likelyhood of arthritis rather than a guarantee

All my dogs are able to hold onto a bone to gnaw, dewclaws or no dewclaws.
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I was quite surprised when I first noticed just how much dexterity those with their dew claws had over the others, I guess it's like us eating an apple if we had no thumb, we'd still be able to do it just not quite as well as with the thumb intact.
Yes exactly If we had not had a thumb from birth we wouldnt seem like we missed it, if asked we wouldnt have a problem because we wouldnt know anything different, it is natural to be adaptable to things like this, but it dosent mean they should be without them
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
My Mum's collie ripped his dew claws off twice and had to have them surgically removed which took ages to heal. The vet said he thought certain types of dog were generally more prone to ripping them and would like to see them removed routinely as pups in some breeds and when the claw doesn't lie flat to the wrist. Two of my dogs have rear dew claws, one has firm ones, one floppy and neither have caught them as they are not energetic dogs that charge around. Docking isn't something I have a problem with in working dogs and I wish the law didn't involve showing docked dogs as it's very unfair. Cropping is something I see no need for at all.
Yeah interesting the vet is finding it worse in certain breeds, to me rather than thinking of having to operate on them all I would say shouldnt we be looking at breeding them so they dont have these issues?

Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
My Mum's collie doesn't seem to have been affected by having his dewclaws removed - he still jumps, twists and turns like before. Maybe it's subtle but certainly he can still chase and catch his ball.
Yup, my friends 3 legged cat can still bring down birds

I think its a bit odd that people can say docking tails and ears is barbaric but removing the dogs thumb is OK, I know kids who have their ears operated on to make them look better, and many people have holes put in their ears, but I dont know of anyone who would choose to have a thumb lopped off - and thumbs can be damaged too, my mums is deformed after trapping it in a car door
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Two of my dogs that have had their front dewclaws removed have no joint instability or arthritis. Strange or what?
Same here, I know lots of dogs with dew claws removed, and funny enough joint instability or arthritis of that area is not something I have never heard owners say that!

Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
3 of mine have had their dew claws removed and 3 still have them, none of them have injured or damaged them in any way and none have arthritis either but the three that still have them use them while holding onto their bones to gnaw and they act exactly like a thumb would do.

So do mine!

All my dogs are able to hold onto a bone to gnaw, dewclaws or no dewclaws.
Ditto

Originally Posted by 3dognight View Post
its not the dogs that are illegal.its the proceedure,where i live...in the u/k can you own a cropped dog at all.?respectfully.

Yes you can, you can import a cropped dog,

We have a few cropped Boxers (studs) here , that have been imported from abroad.

Originally Posted by rune View Post
Yes--you can import from some countries where it is legal. You do get a lot of anti feelings from other dog owners and you can do nothing with them at any events.

rune
Do you? I know a few who own cropped dogs, and they never mention being the recipient of "anti feelings"
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-04-2012, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by 3dognight View Post
thanks rune,here in can/its more widly excepted than in the u//k i think.but change has already begun,the us.i would say,its slowly happening as well,im going to look it up,and see whats happening ,with crop issues.soon ,i feel it will be illegal to own as well.and i would also say that my cropped dogs do not head into town to be seen,im not tatooed,dont sell drugs,im not the image some would think and iv got no issues with my manhood!im on the fence about the crop issue ,because iv got 2.this is all good info and thanks for shareing
Just a question, cant really gage from your posts if you agree with cropping or simply that you ended up with cropped dogs...

But do you buy the excuse that cropping the dogs benefits them in the work they do, OR do you think, said dogs could work equally as good with normal ears.

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
The stidues were done on agility dogs in America I think. Basically the idea is the front dew claw is attached properly then the bones all mesh together in the wrist like a nice jigsaw - each one supports the other. So if you remove one then, especially when the dog is turning at speed, the wrist can twist slightly - and of course over the course of many years each slight movement can a tiny bit more wear out the joint
As I read it it is not a case of removing them will CAUSE arthrite in all dogs, just that it increased the odds a little
Maybe the sport they are doing plays more of a part in the injuries than the removal of the dew claws.

The average dog in its lifetime does not have to contend with the pounding/pressure on joints an agility dog does.......
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Do you? I know a few who own cropped dogs, and they never mention being the recipient of "anti feelings"
Would be interesting to find out if the dogs get pitying looks and if the owners are aware of people talking in low tones once they pass them.

I know that that would be my reaction. I wouldn't be able to keep the look of pity off my face (no matter how I tried) and would probably say something like, poor dog, once I'd gone past it
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Front dewclaws are a fifth toe and have muscular control. They are used when the dog runs and turns at speed and often when gripping. I can't see any reason to cut off a toe, in fact, just the opposite.
Page 7 of 18 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »