Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
tbh, I have a dog that has been docked and his dew claws removed. Apparently the dew claw removal is much worse.

I am personally glad that my dog has his dew claws removed. I asked a vet about this, if they thought it really mattered and they said that they did see a lot of injuries and that it was far kinder to remove at 3 days old than at 3 years and the pain and healing time...the way my boy runs around in the woods I'd say theres a definite peace of mind that he doesnt have any to rip while having fun.

Tail issue is another matter/discussion altogether, last thread on that, that I was on got deleted
I was just expressing my opinion on it... I don't like us chopping off bits of animals 'just in case'. I do, however, see neutering as being different, since a ridiculous number of dogs are dying every day in kennels... Just mentioning neutering coz some people see that as being 'chopping bits off' too... I do agree, but see the reasons behind it making it a different issue.

People who couldnt care less what their dog does all day will not neuter anyway. People like me who have an entire male and care about being responsible is why he is not and will not be neutered, unless for medical reasons. He still wont be running around making puppies though!

Females suffer Pyo much more often than a dog dying from something to do with the testes so I do think I'll be spaying a female but not until she has fully matured and there isnt any other reason indicating I shouldnt.
Do you think people who neuter are responsible?

I did mention about the spaying of females for health reasons, and I didn't mention anything about the neutering of males for any health benefits... I would always, 100% spay a female. I have neutered Jake because I had to. I would have neutered him eventually anyway though.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 07:12 PM
I dont like the look of cropped ears and i'm glad it's banned in this country. However, having said that, we dont have the kind of game or current law that allows UK dogs to need ears cropped. Maybe if I lived in a country where dogs hunted big, dangerous game and i'd had experience of how the ears can be damaged then maybe i'd think differently.

I liken it to tail docking - many people who are against tail docking do not understand the true role the dog plays in it's field and have probably never witnessed tails damaged from the dog doing it's job. They see it merely as unnecessary mutilation whereas I see it as a completely viable alteration to the dog. The same goes for dewclaws - I am for the removal of them in working dogs.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 07:14 PM
As previously said, in my opinion, if a dog needs to be surgically altered to carry out a job, it shouldn't be doing that job
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-04-2012, 07:15 PM
to compare would be wrong,i agree,im just throwing a curvball,so to speek,we alter animals for our needs,cropping, docking is one of them. sorry but im tring to look a bigger picture of how ,we,humans,alter animals for our needs,happens eveyday..im injoying all of the coments as well,its all good info and i like the respect we are showing to one another.i was expecting a blow out of b/s
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-04-2012, 07:17 PM
heres an other idea,iv never had a dog with cropped ears,ever ,get an ear infection,many with dogs who have full ears...any thoughts?
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 07:44 PM
I personally do not like ear cropping even if it's done by a vet. I like dogs the way they are supposed to look. I'm so very glad it's illegal here. I don't believe in operating on a dog for any other reason than for medical purposes or neutering. I think it's cruel and unnecessary.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by 3dognight View Post
heres an other idea,iv never had a dog with cropped ears,ever ,get an ear infection,many with dogs who have full ears...any thoughts?
Yes my idea is that people who own dogs with "flat ears" check them and wipe them out when needed. And although you may not have experienced it I am pretty certain that cropped dogs get ear infections.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-04-2012, 07:48 PM
My lot have never had ear infections either, Rio is an obsessive ear cleaner.
No offence but I really dislike cropped ears.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 07:48 PM
I love the look of cropped ears.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-04-2012, 07:51 PM
tbh, I have a dog that has been docked and his dew claws removed. Apparently the dew claw removal is much worse.

I am personally glad that my dog has his dew claws removed. I asked a vet about this, if they thought it really mattered and they said that they did see a lot of injuries and that it was far kinder to remove at 3 days old than at 3 years and the pain and healing time...the way my boy runs around in the woods I'd say theres a definite peace of mind that he doesnt have any to rip while having fun.
I have dogs whose dewclaws have been removed, one whose haven't. I am pro removal as the pain associated with ripped dewclaws is longer lasting than the pain associated with removal. She has caught her dewclaws on a number of occassions. She's also cracked them. On each occassion she would feel sorry for herself for days.

I also prefer the look of docked and cropped dogs, but would have never had either done to my dogs.
Page 4 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »