View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-04-2012, 02:19 PM
there are only o couple of provences that do this in can.some breeders will cross lines to get it done.or, in the back yard!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 03:50 PM
I give you the Weimaraner.

the Canine equivalent of Dumbo (the top of the ear should be an inch or two from the nose) which was bred to track wounded stag and wild boar and keep them at bay until the hunter joined them, rid land of vermin (including foxes and cats) and works as a roughshooters dog going into deep cover etc.

Never needed their ears cropping. The same applies to Spaniels which flush in deep cover and other HPRs.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 04:07 PM
I am glad cropping is banned here and I wish that would be extended to unnessesarry removal of dew claws

Personaly I see no sport in sending one animal after another in that way

as for it making their dogs look 'hard' my friend is well over 6 foot tall, wide as a jcb scoop and covered in tattoos, and he is man enough to happily walk his wives tea cup yorkie
Dogs should not be used to make up for peoples tiny penises

I know it takes time if you are always used to a 'look' there are rotties and JRT's with tails around here and it looked odd to start with
Now I love it, dogs free to express themselves as nature intended
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 04:54 PM
In my opinion cropping ears is barbaric, whether it is a "backyard" job or whether a vet does it. A dog can look and be alert and be a competent guard without cropping its ears. It seems to me that it is important to some folk to own a hard and tough looking dog. Possibly these men (and they nearly always are males) are not too sure of themselves and need something extra to project a tough/hard image of themselves in an attempt to gain confidence and status. I believe it is a misguided and somewhat challenging attitude to have. There are many effective hunting and guarding breeds who don't have cropped ears. I don't buy the reasoning that it is done to save the dog being damaged during the hunt. I think people have these large dogs and crop their ears in an attempt to add to their own machismo image - I pity the ignorance.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-04-2012, 05:26 PM
altering a dog,spay and neuter...is that nessesary?taking body parts from a dog, so you will not have to be as responcible.makes life easyer,is there a difference, some would say its the most responcible thing to do.if your not so responcible yourself.just a thought.so..is this butchering your dog as well, maybe,but its eccepted,is it a nessesary proceedure?nope
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Well, I like the look of dobes when their ears are cropped, but no I wouldn't do it. Also when their ears are back, it doesnt look better cropped, or more alert...if I lived in a country where my next pup could be cropped then no, I wouldnt do it. Its cosmetic and a risk from GA and infection for nothing basically. Unlike docking which is done so young, cropping isnt carried out until the pup is much older, around 3 months I believe where the pup is much more aware and its also something that takes a long time to heal..and then your 'posting' and cleaning etc for a long time..

Anyway, if this came at you would you hang around to see if his ears were up? I dont think so.

(btw he is playing and only doing "speak" for his toy here before anyone starts! )

Most people love his ears

He is very relaxed here.
When someone comes to the garden or near us on a walk, he is alert anyway and his ears are carried very differently to either photo. What's not to like?
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-04-2012, 05:40 PM
stunning dog.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 05:43 PM
OMG, those poor dogs, especially the one who was cropped without anaesthesia.

Personally, I would cut - slowly and with a very blunt knife - the testicles off any man who could do such a thing to a dog. It is absolutely appalling, and totally unnecessary - I am not a huge advocate of castration, I prefer not to chop any parts of my dog off - but there can be no comparison between a dog being castrated by a vet, and this mutilation - even by a vet under anaesthetic.

It is wrong, vile and obscene.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I am glad cropping is banned here and I wish that would be extended to unnessesarry removal of dew claws

Personaly I see no sport in sending one animal after another in that way

as for it making their dogs look 'hard' my friend is well over 6 foot tall, wide as a jcb scoop and covered in tattoos, and he is man enough to happily walk his wives tea cup yorkie
Dogs should not be used to make up for peoples tiny penises

I know it takes time if you are always used to a 'look' there are rotties and JRT's with tails around here and it looked odd to start with
Now I love it, dogs free to express themselves as nature intended
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by 3dognight View Post
altering a dog,spay and neuter...is that nessesary?taking body parts from a dog, so you will not have to be as responcible.makes life easyer,is there a difference, some would say its the most responcible thing to do.if your not so responcible yourself.just a thought.so..is this butchering your dog as well, maybe,but its eccepted,is it a nessesary proceedure?nope
Some people do feel routine neutering is the equivalent of docking and cropping, and a mutilation, so they would agree with you.

I don't agree with cropping or docking or hunting with dogs for fun, no different from dog fighting if the dog is used in the kill imo, only difference is one of the animals is of a different species.
Page 2 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »