register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-08-2013, 05:30 PM
Jenny, there aren't many places that sell gentle leaders, and I have found them the best apart from Dogmatic, which were pretty expensive even then, and mine kept chewing the dangly bit and I kept having to take them to the cobblers and get the restitched, which is how I discovered the gentle leader because I needed a stop gap.
You can get them in Wilkinsons Stores or on ebay. Pets@home used to sell them, but they don't know, they have Halti's and their own version of Halti's, which really ride up into their eyes and causes even worse tantrums.
The best of the lot is actually dogmatic, but like I say they weren't cheap (I got 2 with matching training leads for my birthday lol)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...l_62ed60ksbp_e

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beaphar-Gent...=gentle+leader
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2013, 06:03 PM
Thanks June that is really sweet of you and so nice to get a recommendation. I'll have a look at sizing etc. My only concern is what if the dog pulls backwards should there be an attachment from the headcollar to their lead?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-08-2013, 06:05 PM
I finally made it to the macolet! Mind you it took me four attempts because the first three times as soon as Xanadu's front wheels hit the steep bit I did not like the sensation of not being upright so I chickened out, turned round and came back indoors.

Fourth time I kept telling myself that it is only just over a metre and Xanadu does have anti-tip wheels, so actually managed it without tipping backwards!

Actually coming down it was worse as the new pavement [square bricks laid square instead of the previous rectangular bricks which were laid diagonally] are still covered with sand which will [supposedly] gradually fill the small gaps, so very skiddable on, and I had to make almost a right-angle turn to get on the steep bit of the ramp. Very scary. And very dangerous as people have already slipped and fallen.

There is no way I could get The Silver Monster out as he cannot go along the pavement to the tractor path [which of course has a nice wide dropped kerb - spit] and I have no intention of driving him off the edge of the pavement down onto the road, possibly causing damage to his underwotsits. I used to have a concrete mini ramp from the pavement to the road for him but of course they ripped it up.

But at least I was actually able to get to the macolet at last!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Oh Malka, well done, just relieved you are in one piece, you have been silent all day and I was thinking the worst.
Please please please be VERY careful doesn't sound very safe at all, and their excuse will be that they told you not to use it
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-08-2013, 06:17 PM
The headcollar clips round the back of the head (I always thread it through the collar first as mine had a charming habit of flipping their paw over their head, and they were FREE ) and then you have a piece under the jaw with a ring on and your lead clips onto that.
When I found the gentle leader link on Amazon I was amazed at the price, because they are £10.99 in Wilkinson, so quite a bit cheaper.
Oh you'll have some tantrums alright, but I just stand there till they've finished rolling around then walk off, you will also get the paw on the nose trying to pull it off, but I keep them walking so's they don't get chance.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2013, 06:47 PM
Evening everyone

Have read through and inwardly digested but there is far too much to comment on - I wouldn't finish until bedtime I do however, want to say how relieved I am that it was not an earthquake shaking the foundations this morning, but merely Nippy and her classmates

Also, H - yes I did see A & E last night (I love that programme) and that lady was wonderful wasn't she. Most of the more mature patients are it seems, and it's only the young ones that kick up a load of fuss and demand things. Substitute the gin and tonic for whisky and ginger, and yes...that would be me Regarding Zena's paw, I would have thought that pink was healthier than white, so will be interested to hear what your vet says about it. I suppose that it is not like a relatively shallow surface cut or abrasion which heals fairly quickly - that there 'ole will probably be mending gradually outwards.

After a wet start here, the sun came out and it became steadily warmer throughout the day - obviously nothing like you are suffering Tang, I really don't think that I could cope with that and I know Jimmi would hate it.

We had the grandsproglet here today, and will have him again tomorrow He is lovely, but oh so tiring He just doesn't understand that granny is not up to playing hide and seek/cowboys and indians/football etc. etc. for hours on end!
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2013, 06:55 PM
So glad you managed to get to the Macelot Malka. Still sounds a bit of a trauma but at least you know you can manage it now.
Ive read all the posts but too many to comment on now. Ive not had internet all day with the Decorator here till 3 pm. The front room's painting is finished & the decorator is coming back on Tuesday to strip & prep the back room. We got a plasterer out today to look at the damp in the internal wall. Now we've moved the units its dried out so it looks as though the air couldn't circulate which is what caused the damp. He looked at the chimney & said it wasn't coming from there. Anyway he can only come maybe the week after next to do it - he's from the council & is doing a foreigner The decorator can finish off the painting apart from the bit that needs plastering & I'll do that as the plaster will need about 2 weeks to dry. so its going to be nearly a month yet till its all finished
Taff was driving the decorator mad all day. Everytime he went outside for a cig Taff followed him wanting to play ball Good job he's got a dog at home.
Its been a glorious day here today - lovely & hot Hope it stays like this all over the weekend.
Grandson got his GCSE results today 5B's 2C's & 1D. Not too bad but if he had tried he could have done better but its enough to get into 6th form.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2013, 06:55 PM
Yayayayay Malka you escaped at last
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-08-2013, 06:56 PM
LOL Sally, can OH not play footie with him, or has he suddenly got a series of Important Meetings
Never mind, Friday tomorrow, then a 4 day week and the kids are back to school, phew
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2013, 06:57 PM
Obviously worse than I thought because Helena is bang on with the timing and so the thunder and my exercises do actually coincide
They are very gentle exercises and I have enjoyed my weekly sessions until today when she said we are thinking of introducing some Zumba next week
Lovely afternoon though, my Niece from Derby is in the area holidaying and popped in with her hubby and 3 kids A lovely, lovely family and really made my day

Please don't say anymore about A&E I have recorded but not watched it yet.
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >