Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 12:44 PM

Do your dogs have a toy box?

Tonks has a toy box in the kitchen next to her crate. I had a suspicion that she doesn't rummage in it much when i am away so i pullled loads of things out of it today and have unearthed lots of old bones and chews, even one from when she was a little puppy, which she never showed interested in before, but has just chewed the end of it.

What's in their toy box?

Tonks has -

- bones
- chews
- wiggely giggely
- a pair of chewed child's wellies
- teddies
- raggas
- socks tied in knots
- old plastic milk bottles that i put treats in
- a hard plastic garden trowel
- a huge fury orange spider that was a child's dressing up hat.
- a flannel (no idea why)
- a pair of work gloves (i push treats in the fingers and she rips them out.
- a kong, which she never touches

I think it is time for a chuck out!

ooo i forgot the tennis balls, squeeky balls, balls on a rope and rubber rings.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Toy box is on the living room and next to the sofa.
List of what is in it is far too big to catalogue.. but madam has been known to check everything is still there

magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Just put Kismet's favourite toys back in the box... She usually empties it daily. So Okay, I'll have a look... She has:

Half a rubber dinosaur
Mr Pinky the furry flamingo
snowflake ropey
Rubber chewey bone
squeaky Santa (probably the loudest most annoying squeak in the world!)
Tigger hot water bottle cover stuffed with squeakys
Plastic coke bottle with a bit of kibble still in it
a rope curtain tie back (not originally a toy, but is now)
Her knotted kibble towel
The other half of the rubber dinosaur
Three hollow bones. (That get bread and sardine spread in them as puppy sandwiches)
A pink cloth - now where did that come from?
Three squeaky tennis balls (That's where they went)
A Kong (she hates it)

I think I need a clear out too!
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-09-2008, 12:57 PM
'Ella has a toy box, but she tends to hoard her favourite toys in her bed!
I think in the toy box there are:
some tatty tennis balls
a rawhide "shoe" which we got when we collected her: she has never shown any interest in it
a squeaky stuffed toy that no longer squeaks
a squeaky santa with his hat chewed off (really needs binning!)
2 rubber bones

In her bed, she has several rope toys, an "indestructa-ball", her puppy teething bone (£2 from Asda and it's been a firm favourite since she was tiny!), the remains of a bone from the feed store, a leg from a stuffed toy which has long since been binned but somehow she keeps retrieving the leg and her Kong. Needless to say, she only sleeps in her bed during the day, and tends to spend most of her time in her bed gnawing on various toys - at night 'Ella and whatever toy is favourite today end up on our bed!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
Toy box is on the living room and next to the sofa.
List of what is in it is far too big to catalogue.. but madam has been known to check everything is still there
My what a lot of toys she has, loved the video of her checking that they're all still there

I only recently introduced a toy box - most of the toys are outside and OH was moaning that he spends ages clearning away before cutting the grass, so toy box was started.

Have to say, its been brilliant - Hoki will wonder over and its so funny watching her deciding what she wants (normally the thing at the bottom so she has to pull everything out ). It's also given a renewed interest in the toys she was bored of and never played with when they were lying on the grass.

Stumpy never gets a toy out herself - she just waits to see what Hoki gets out of the box, then pinches whatever it is when Hoki isn't looking

I've yet to teach them to put their toys away afterwards though (now that's something to work on )

As for what's in the box -
several footballs, tennis balls, ex-squeeky toys (lost their squeeks), the inners of a baseball and various bits of rope toys.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Hehe nice to see others have things in their dogs toy box that they have no idea were in there. Both Tonks and Kismet have chosen a pink cloth/flannel (little girlies!), and they both hate their kongs!

Blimey! Misse's toy box is huge!!!!
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-09-2008, 01:01 PM
How did you encourage interest in your dog's toy boxes? 'Ella never even looks in hers, so we occasionally swapped a few toys around in the beginning, but I would rather be in a position where she gets out whatever she wants to play with, and I can just chuck them back in the box and know that she won't spend ages trying to find a toy substitute when she realises they've all been put away!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Hali, i taught my mum's dog to put toys away, and once i have perfect hold with Tonks i will expect her to do the same .....she must keep her bedroom tidy now!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Sez & Amber View Post
How did you encourage interest in your dog's toy boxes? 'Ella never even looks in hers, so we occasionally swapped a few toys around in the beginning, but I would rather be in a position where she gets out whatever she wants to play with, and I can just chuck them back in the box and know that she won't spend ages trying to find a toy substitute when she realises they've all been put away!
Well with Hoki I just kept putting her favourite toy in there and then, told her to get it and praised and played with her when she did.

Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Hali, i taught my mum's dog to put toys away, and once i have perfect hold with Tonks i will expect her to do the same .....she must keep her bedroom tidy now!
yes, I think I will work on this... Hoki knows that her garden toys stay outside and will drop them on the patio before coming in the house, so i just need to teach her to drop them back in the box instead. Sounds easy enough (but I'll reserve judgement for the moment )
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Yes we have a toy box, it contains kongs, hav-a-ball, dino nylabones, balls, tuggy, empty plastic water bottles and bones, a sock and a tea towel and a dust pan and brush.
Rio will put things away if I tell her to, the boys are more likely to empty it again as soon as I've cleared the floor. Diesel and Frank climb in and have a good old route around They will all pick things up and walk them over to the box but Rio's the only one so far who will actually put them back in it.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >