Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Absolutely agree. If she lives in the town though and that cockerel drives her nuts, if it were me Id take steps to stop it. You should always be accepting of things that are part of the area you live in, providing of course those thing should be there!
If it were kids being rowdy, or motorbikes charging up and down, Im sure most people would take issue.

That's a good point Dawn, and moving forward on that point, we come to the question of do foxes belong in towns? The answer has to be no they don't ... however, they would never have moved into town in the first place had they not been persecuted by man in the countryside through hunting, shooting, snaring and poisoning. O what a tangled web we humans do weave!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Foxes were once prey to wolves in UK - although, of course, that was two centuries ago.
I don't think they would have been prey - more likely is that they were killing foxes because of competition for food and territory. And I believe the last wolf in the UK was killed in something like the 16th century?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I don't think they would have been prey - more likely is that they were killing foxes because of competition for food and territory. And I believe the last wolf in the UK was killed in something like the 16th century?
From some google searching it would seem there are various dates and places being stated as the last time a wolf was either see or killed. One source suggests the last wolf was killed in England between 1485 and 1509, while in Scotland, it is said the last wolf was killed in 1743 by a hunter called MacQueen. However, other records indicate that wolves were seen in the wild in the Highlands as late as 1848.

So no-one seems to really know
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2012, 01:43 PM
From some google searching it would seem there are various dates and places being stated as the last time a wolf was either see or killed. One source suggests the last wolf was killed in England between 1485 and 1509, while in Scotland, it is said the last wolf was killed in 1743 by a hunter called MacQueen. However, other records indicate that wolves were seen in the wild in the Highlands as late as 1848.

So no-one seems to really know
I can believe that there could have been one or two stragglers hanging on hidden in the wilds of Scotland until well into the 19th century. How very sad that these beautiful animals were wiped out though in the UK - through man's ignorance. I would hate to see the red fox go the same way
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2012, 01:47 PM
I can believe that there could have been one or two stragglers hanging on hidden in the wilds of Scotland until well into the 19th century. How very sad that these beautiful animals were wiped out though in the UK - through man's ignorance. I would hate to see the red fox go the same way
It would be incredibly sad I don't think it will happen with the red fox though, as they are such adaptable creatures. No matter that people have been trying to wipe them out for years, they still continue to thrive.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2012, 02:12 PM
That's a good point Dawn, and moving forward on that point, we come to the question of do foxes belong in towns? The answer has to be no they don't ... however, they would never have moved into town in the first place had they not been persecuted by man in the countryside through hunting, shooting, snaring and poisoning. O what a tangled web we humans do weave!
Are you saying because of hunting, shooting etc.. Foxes had the presence of mind to say, "come on then, lets move into the towns cos we wont get shot or chased there" ??? Seriously??

Or could it be perhaps that they are opportunistic feeders who quickly realised that humans meant food?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Are you saying because of hunting, shooting etc.. Foxes had the presence of mind to say, "come on then, lets move into the towns cos we wont get shot or chased there" ??? Seriously??

Or could it be perhaps that they are opportunistic feeders who quickly realised that humans meant food?
No, I'm not - more that during the chasing process, they discovered what a glorious world of dustbins there was in the human world! Foxes are extremely intelligent opportunists, they will always look for the easier meal.

But I think it was probably man's activity that caused them to discover the joys of take-aways!!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2012, 03:45 PM
I think it is more the fact that towns have encroached upon tr countryside; we have moved to them and they have adapted. It is starting to happen with badgers.

We are not top of the food chain. Disarm us and we are easy prey. A gun does not put us at the top; nature puts us as prey.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
That is near me...

The place in question is a very large game hatchery (that has been going since the 60's), that supplies estates etc with thousands of birds every year - when at capacity, they have 1.5million birds. They have excellent fencing, electric and otherwise, motions sensitive lights etc... however, what they can't risk is continuous fox attacks, where the foxes kill hundreds of birds - that's an entire family's livelihood, not to mention the local people they employ.

If there is a fox in the area that has been killing domestic animals/livestock - they will shoot it. If the foxes are taking their food from someone's garden/small holding, then they are more likely to come onto the hatchery's property too.

We live in a very rural area - there is plenty of 'wild' food around (rabbits etc) that they shouldn't need to come into gardens etc and eat people's chickens.
But foxes are an intelligent predator, why chase a rabbit when you have a whole load of chooks sat there that can't get away, and of course they would be drawn to a large hatchery, just as they will be drawn to large chicken raising facilities. But a large hatchery isn't a typical shoot, I don't know of one shoot that's got a team of employees driving round on quad bikes shooting foxes. I know plenty of shoots that control problem animals, and keep the population down which is simply good business.

Originally Posted by spot View Post
How do they know which fox has taken the birds whatever in question or do they just indiscrimately shoot any fox they see? No I dont expect them to know just as I dont expect a fox to know the difference between domestic kept animals and those that are kept for 'sport'.

I am amazed at how people seem to attribute human sort of logicical thinking onto a wild animal.
Because foxes are creatures of habit, the same fox is likely to come back and predate again if it has been successful. Also, when asking someone to come in and control foxes, where possible a description of the fox is given, they vary considerably in size and colour, and environmental factors can play a part in that, such as the type of soil their earth is in, it can colour their fur.

Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Are we top of the food chain? Really? I would like to see a human stand up against a tiger, or a curious shark. We have opposable thumbs and have created weaponry as a result but that doesn't make us top of the food chain.

As for me being naive- it is naive in the extreme to judge another species's intelligence through a human test ( as in your example of a fox doing algebra; tip that on it's head and let's see you escape the hunt.) Intelligence tests measure one chosen thing: maths, English, verbal or non verbal reasoning, emotion....even humans do well in some but not others. One person's view of intelligence is entirely different to anothers. To judge another species by our standards is arbitary and not useful.
"I am amazed at how people seem to attribute human sort of emotions onto a wild animal." Tarimoor.

Yet it is okay to do it with human measures of
intelligence which is just ad hard to measure ( if
not more so) as emotion?
I don't need to evade a hunt, as I said, we're top of the food chain. As for a human standing up to a tiger or shark, I believe we've almost driven them to extinction, so it's not really that difficult to see that we already can and do.

Originally Posted by Malka View Post
When does a cute fluffy creature become vermin?

Tiny mice are cute and fluffy until they come into your home and wreak havoc.

Domestic cats are cute and fluffy until the unwanted kittens end up as the feral cats that rip through window and door screens to get into your home and wreak havoc.

Foxes are cute and fluffy but they carry mange which can get passed onto pets, as some Dogsey members are well aware. And yes I know that there is no rabies in the UK but there is here and it is carried by foxes, so those cute and fluffy foxes are not welcome in my back yard.
As a good gardener friend once told me, a weed is a plant in the wrong place, vermin are animals that through no fault of their own are in the wrong place. If it were an endangered species you'd relocate, but it's simply not practical to relocate foxes to anywhere, culling is the only sensible way of dealing with the problem.

I have already explained the difference ... as I perceive it ... between a rabbit being pursued and a fox in a later post, so I won't bore you by repeating myself.
I keep quoting and then forget your quote doesn't show all of your replies, so I'll probably miss most of your post out I'm afraid. But I can't recall you explaining the difference between how a rabbit and fox will perceive being hunted, which is the question I asked. You see a difference from your perspective, as indeed we all do, because one is edible, and the other isn't. However, I don't think a rabbit being chased down and just about to be eaten by a pet dog will have a last thought of 'never mind, at least I'll get eaten'.

They do indeed. Mange being one of the more serious ... leptospirosis is another danger. However, as far as I know, not many mangey or lepto foxes will come and jump on my plate of food like flies will. Flies are the biggest spreader of disease, and if you eat fly-blown meat or fish you will be extremely ill. mange whilst very unpleasant - I know, I've had it - will not kill you. Cats carry and have mange, so do many pet dogs, so it is not fair to pick on foxes for spreading mange. Lepto you would have a point with, but I do not have my dogs vaccinated every year, and our vet has said that their main risk is from lepto. However, in the 15 years we have dogs in our current house, where foxes come into our garden a lot as we are right on the edge of open fields, not once has any dog ever got sick, so the risk is very small, far far smaller than the risk of a blow fly contaminating my meat!

You are correct about wasps!!
Blow fly? I could be wrong but unless you're outside the UK I don't think you're at any risk.

I didn't say a fox would jump on your plate of food, just using the analogy that one is a pest when it flies into your house and dares to land on your food, and for that you are willing to kill, the other is a pest (in some circumstances) that you want to see live for no good reason I can see.

There you go again ... the ARROGANCE of human beings!! All Charlie is trying to do is to earn his living. So is the landowner with his pheasant shoots. Ipso facto, the landowner should fence in the young pheasants in large pens until they can fly well enough to get away from the fox ... as our local estate do. There is a huge copse which is surrounded by electrified fencing to a height of about 12 feet so Charlie cannot get in. The pheasants are raised safely in there until they are big enough to fly up into the trees at night to roost, when the fence is turned off. Simples!!

Just because I believe in the rights of wildlife does not make me a member of the fluffy brigade! I am anything but!! I know you are not accusing me per se, but by inference ... please stop!!
A lot of assumptions, the shoots I know do fence in their poults, there are bound to be some that don't do this very well, I'm not responsible for all their actions I'm afraid, as I, like you, support prevention rather than persecution in this instance. But I still can't agree that fox numbers should be allowed to increase in numbers that are unsustainable in any area, whether that's urban or countryside, whether it's on or near a shoot or not, numbers should be kept at a level that ensures the population overall survives in the best health possible, and maintains a healthy fear of us, after all, the more fearful they are of us, the less likely they are to come into conflict by taking poults etc.

Estates employ gamekeepers to snare, shoot, trap and lamp foxes. It is a large part of their job.
Wrong job description, that's a vermin controller, it is part of a gamekeepers' remit to control vermin as and when necessary, but that's not their sole job. I don't actually know any gamekeepers that lamp for foxes on a regular basis, that's usually down to those who have permissions from land owners.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2012, 04:15 PM
It would be incredibly sad I don't think it will happen with the red fox though, as they are such adaptable creatures. No matter that people have been trying to wipe them out for years, they still continue to thrive.
And of course they don't have the completely erroneous reputation of being a Granny eater like the Big Bad Wolf!
Page 12 of 31 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »