Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 01:17 PM

Working or showing background....?

This is a question to ease my curiosity really What make the best pets? I regularly go on setter rescue pages and there is always both working and showing background dogs featured...
I have seen a working type English setter (Laverstoke) in real life and she was leaner and less hairy than my babes.. so if in the future I was able to take on another setter babe, could I take on a working type (ooh less grooming )
Does it all depend on the breed of dog?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Firstly, I think a lot not only depends on the breed of dog, but also the individual dog and also the kind of "pet" home.

Some working bred dogs (our working collies spring to mind) would not do well at all in a pet home that didn't exercise them (mentally and physically) on a daily basis and a home who didn't understand their inherent herding instincts. Many working bred collies need a job to do, and some are never happy unless they are working sheep. There are then certain work bred collies who are more than happy with a more laidback, lazy kind of a lifestyle and would run a mile from sheep It is an individual thing - although I would steer most pet-only homes away from a work bred dog, and probably suggest they speak to show breeders.

My GSDs are (for all intents and purposes) bred more for a pet market - although some siblings do work. My ex OH had working line bred GSDs for police work. These dogs would do okay in a pet home that was a very active pet home - again with the dog being given plenty to do. My longcoats tend to be fairly laidback, and so perhaps make a better pet for the average family.

I only know one working bred English setter (owned by a friend of mine who works her) and I have to say, my friend has said she would not really make a good pet, as she is pretty hyper! This could just be this line or this individual bitch though.

So, after saying all that, I don't think there is a definitive answer either way.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-12-2008, 03:11 PM
It would all depend on the breed I was looking at.

For instance gundogs... I would always go for a show type.. simply because , 1) I prefer the look, 2 ) more likely to have been health tested, 3) hopefully slightly less work motivated... and as I would not be looking for a dog to work... then it is the obvious choice.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 03:18 PM
There are very good working border collies(a well know excellent working dog & sire spring to mind)that can work all day & also switch off from wotking. My first such BC male was like this & not only did he work, he trialled(successfully), worked in Obedience & Working Trials plus won in the show ring & he was an ISDS who I registered with the KC.

My current dogs are a mix of one pure ISDS & the others a mix of Obedience, show & ISDS. I will be looking to buy in an ISDS only bitch to breed my young dog to in due course. I much prefer the ISDS dogs from good producing pedigrees
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 03:52 PM
Claire - personally with setters its the show type for me - whilst in Irish and gordons there is not such a divide but have heard if from strong working lines they need more training and exercise on the whole.

They possibly are more prone to that selective deafness we so love in the setter but x that up by 100 to what you have now !!! As you have experience with setters now then you might be ready for one

I personally am not keen on the working English look and to some extent some of the working lines but there are some lovely Gordons who are from working strain.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Thanks guys I regularly look at the rescue pages, and have seen the working type English, and also Irish, not the Gordons though... I do prefer the show types I must admit... but I have a hankering for a liver belton working type and just wondered 'if' in the future one came up in rescue and I was in position to have him/her, whether it would be feasible??? I thought recall would be better with a worker maybe not then!!!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
There are very good working border collies(a well know excellent working dog & sire spring to mind)that can work all day & also switch off from wotking.
Ours are like this ... but the point being that they work all day and then switch off.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
one came up in rescue and I was in position to have him/her, whether it would be feasible??? I thought recall would be better with a worker maybe not then!!!
I don't see why it wouldn't be feasible, providing you can offer the dog a home where it will be well exercised - mentally and physically I think a good recall is all down to the work you put in (and finding what motivates the dog) ... whether working or show strain
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 07:00 PM
I have a working english setter. She is a really cracking dog and full of personality. She is a fantastic worker but incredibly sensitive. I really love her to bits and have to say, she has been easier than the working pointers. She at least does as she is told lol. She is just incredible to see on the grouse.

She is very active and does need a lot but she will also crash out in the kennel and switch off.

I knew someone through the internet who had a working english setter as well and she was mainly a pet. She was having incredible trouble with recall as the dog wanted to go off and hunt all the time.

I also know of someone else who has a working english setter and I think she does better with her, although she does trial her as well.

BTW, my setter comes from the Upperwood kennels, who also have the show lines.

Helen
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I have a working english setter. She is a really cracking dog and full of personality. She is a fantastic worker but incredibly sensitive. I really love her to bits and have to say, she has been easier than the working pointers. She at least does as she is told lol. She is just incredible to see on the grouse.

She is very active and does need a lot but she will also crash out in the kennel and switch off.

I knew someone through the internet who had a working english setter as well and she was mainly a pet. She was having incredible trouble with recall as the dog wanted to go off and hunt all the time.

I also know of someone else who has a working english setter and I think she does better with her, although she does trial her as well.

BTW, my setter comes from the Upperwood kennels, who also have the show lines.

Helen
Oh wow, do you have any pics?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >