View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
presley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2005, 10:29 AM

undescended testicles - allowed in showing/stud?

Thank you jackie but I'm also worried about his nads not dropping like they should. would I still be able to stud him if they don't? I'm just a worrier really!!!!!! lol lol lol!!!!!!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by presley
Thank you jackie but I'm also worried about his nads not dropping like they should. would I still be able to stud him if they don't? I'm just a worrier really!!!!!! lol lol lol!!!!!!
You can show him in breed even if he isn't entire, but obviously he would be faulted. For any other competitions then it doesn't matter at all.

As for breeding from a non entire dog well that's up to you but you would be passing the fault onto another dog in the future
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2005, 11:05 AM
Having one not dropped is a hereditary health problem and therefore responsible people would not consider breeding from a dog that has a retained testis. If he were mine I would consider having the one that is retained removed but leave the other there, vet may try to persuade you to have both removed but if he were mine I would stick to my guns and say no.
presley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2005, 11:27 AM
how come you would have one removed is it dangerous for the dog? How soon will I be able to tell? I didn't think that it was passed down I just thought it was a few one off's thats why I asked about breeding. Can he still do agility and fun shows without one or both of his bits?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2005, 12:09 PM
the answer to both questions is yes, the retained one may become cancerous and yes you can do agility and fun shows, they do not count the dangle bits.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2005, 03:12 PM
Presley...Am I right in thinking your pup is only a few weeks old? you really don't need to worry yet.As long as the testicle is there it has PLENTY of time to drop!!! I wouldn't start to worry until he was 5-6 months old and wouldn't consider having it removed till he was about a year.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2005, 06:47 PM
Oh! Agree Archer, if it is a 8 week old Staffie I would forget it for another year, did not realise that, time to start training now the earlier the better but forget about the dangly bits for a long while yet
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2005, 08:30 PM
Don't think the pups even 3 weeks old yet!!!!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2005, 08:33 PM
Ah, bless, don't think you should even thing of groping yet, poor little thing what would it need them for at 3 weeks.
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2005, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by presley
how come you would have one removed is it dangerous for the dog? How soon will I be able to tell? I didn't think that it was passed down I just thought it was a few one off's thats why I asked about breeding. Can he still do agility and fun shows without one or both of his bits?
Hi Presley,
isnt he still only a baby, I thought he was 12 weeks or under and if he is still only a babe i wouldn't worry about this until he was 6months or slightly over and then if they still having come down I would desexed him 1 for his own health and 2 because I wouldn't use him in stud because he can pass that problem on.
again i dont know if you have neuter classes over there but we do so he could still be shown but would never be awarded points