View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-08-2005, 01:46 PM
lin not all people who show are like it i show mine but would never interfere with the other dogs in the ring.
some take shows very seriously but not all, the way i see it a show is a day out to meet other people and dogs if you get placed its a bonus at the end of the day every judge is different and will place the dogs in their order on the day.
please dont get put off showing you should have fun and enjoy the day with your dogs.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2005, 02:33 PM
some one stood infront of me last year when the judge was lining up ..she stepped 4 steps forward to block us out .....i tapped her in the back and said move !!!!!! .....she was so surprised she did it ..after we came out of the ring she threw me a dirty look but tuff if she had a good dog she would have not needed to make herself seem IMOP
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-08-2005, 02:35 PM
thats it if there dog was a great dog they wouldn't need to do such things at the end of the day it just shows you they think your dog is better......lol
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2005, 02:35 PM
Some exhibitors are bitchy and some judges are bitchy! Just enjoy what you are doing and your dogs!
It is a 'hobby' for some, but others take it further! (And in my opinion, ruin it). I am not saying that people should not take it seriously, just dont ruin it for others. (Sorry if I have upset anyone).I just feel the showing world has taken it too far. Interbreeding to get the perfect shape, markings etc, has caused problems in alot of breeds (both health and personality).
Am I being simplistic and ignorant to hope that showing will judge on condition and happiness of dog AS WELL as a good breed standard. It does not seem to in all cases.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2005, 03:55 PM
Unfortunatly there a few really up their own a**es people in the breed of labs. Very snobby and very rude! dont give up jess!
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2005, 03:58 PM
Thanks for all the comments and opinions We haven't been put off showing, the dogs love it and it IS a good day out, but we have been put off showing at that level. As people have said, some people take it far too seriously (intentionally interfering with other dogs i consider to be taking it too seriously) and it seems just a bit too stressful compared to the open shows we've done. I really do enjoy showing my dogs, they always seem to try their best to do what they should! And they certainly enjoy playing up to the judges But i think we can have just as much fun with the open shows, without the bitchiness that comes along with the champ shows

Oooh, and the woman who stuck herself infront of Meg didn't get anything either! So it really didn't help her anyway
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2005, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Jessica
Oooh, and the woman who stuck herself infront of Meg didn't get anything either! So it really didn't help her anyway
Think that is the point we were making, judges are not that stupid.

It is up to you of course, However if your pups are winning not only breed classes but doing well in group and stakes it would be a loss to the breed not to get them out at the Champ Shows so people can see them. Mind you in most breeds there are dogs that are early fliers and others who do not bloom until they are over 2 years, so even if they don’t do well as pups there is time when they develop for them to come into their own.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-08-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by lin
Jess welcome to the world of dogs you will never meet as many nasty people in one place most are out for their own means and most do things that are only for their own good in the long run get out while you can Lin
Sorry you have had such a negative experience Lin ..there are friendly and not so friendly people wherever you go dogshows included ..I find if you take the trouble to chat to people most are very nice. At shows once you get over your feeling of being new and go and talk to exhibitors on the benches , the majority are only too willing to help, advise and will talk to you all day about their dogs the breed and showing in general .
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Which other shows have you entered...any more champs? Maybe you will have a better experience there.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2005, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Archer - like you I go to shows to enjoy myself, but if you are being treated like the dirt on peoples shoes that must be difficult.
Yes ...I agree but to be put off by one experience is sad. Not all people are the same as we know and once they realise shes not going to put up with the crap things should change,
I would ask NICELY BUT FIRMLY that the offending person move and then avoid standing next to them in the future.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >