Female 

26-09-2012, 11:00 AM

Zoopharmacognosy events 2012/2013

http://www.ingraham.co.uk/course_online.asp
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2012, 01:51 PM
Well I was wondering whether or not I would be well enough to attend the event tomorrow, however I have managed to go a couple of hours without coughing so am going to wend my way up the M5 slowly this afternoon.

I have already booked on the practical weekend in February and received my book on canines which I have to say I find fascinating.

Hopefully this will give me yet another tool for my box.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2012, 02:14 PM
This is the one I am going on tomorrow:

1 Day Seminar on Zoopharmacognosy

In the wild animals instinctually know which plants help them to maintain health but domesticated animals don’t often have theaccess to what they need. Essential oils, plant essences, clays, specific tree barks, berries, seaweed...the list goes on. By understanding better these compounds and why animals select them we can help to better understand our animals health and create a richer envioronment for them.

· Why do animals select certain types of plants to eat and not others?

· What is it within these plants that can help them to regain their health?

· How do they know what to select to help heal their bodies?

· How we can we help our animals by having a better awareness of what they may need in their environment?

This fascinating 1 day seminar is a rare opportunity; the world renowned Caroline Ingraham (Director of the Ingraham Academy and Author of the book ‘Animal Aromatics’) will be speaking on ‘Zoopharmacognosy’; the process by which non-Human animals self-medicate, by selecting and using plants, soils, and insects to treat and prevent disease. Coined by Dr. Eloy Rodriguez, a biochemist and professor at Cornell University, the word is derived from roots zoo ("animal"), pharma ("drug"), and gnosy ("knowing"

This jam packed day consists of :

Caroline giving an introduction and overview to Zoopharmacognosy, supported by power-point and videos and to include:

· How animals have the capacity for self selection from a caterpillar, to domestic animal to wild animal

· How animals have evolved to use plant compounds

· Difference between primary and secondary metabolites

· Botany

· How to make up preparations

· Routes of self administration

· Olfaction and the vomeronasal organ

· How to work with behaviour

· Enriching an animals environment

· Why animals may select a toxic compound
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Oh this sounds absolutely fascinating!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2012, 07:33 PM
I cannot tell you how FABULOUS I found this day. Unbelievable lots of theory, chat and then practical demonstrations on two dogs.

I am still zoned out on Valerian, Hemp and Hops.

It was great, if you get a chance to go, do it, because I learned SO much, the vids of an aggressive ram with Sarah Fisher and Caroline were staggering as were the vids of the dogs at Battersea.

I am, as they say, a convert.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Fabulous methinks ill need to make good use of this imminent year off work!