Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ste.n.steph
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2005, 11:28 AM

showing

Hey, i was wondering if you can help.
we was thinking about showing our cockers and cavaliers but dont even know where to start or how to lol i must sound so thick lol
but if anyone can give me advice or tips i would be very thankful.
also our draiman has had the snip due to a retained testicle can he show?
i dont think he can after reading the kc standards but just wondered if there is a group for them?
also is there any books i could read that would help to know how to groom and cut them right and show them?
thank you
Stephy
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2005, 11:59 AM
Start with going to a ringcraft class and reading Archers Article

You can show a castrated dog but have to apply for permission first from the KC, there is a form on their site.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2005, 12:17 PM
firstly we never cut coats when showing cavaliers ....showing is tough the breed standard for weight is between 12-18lb .....good mouth ....good pigmentation and correct gate and a fair judge on the day
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2005, 12:25 PM
If the breeders you bought your dogs from are showing people then they will help you with the preperation for the ring, grooming and the exercise required etc. You will also find joining one of the breed clubs will be of help.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2005, 12:27 PM
I was told a few years ago to go and have fun ....... remember your dogs faults and of course you always take the best dog home even if the judge dose not agree
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2005, 07:32 PM
The fact that your boy is castrated would not stop you showing hiw...but it will stop him from winning much I'm afraidas the breed standard stated he must have 2 normal testicles.You would need a letter from the vet to state he was castrated in order to get permission from the KC to show him.
The main thing is that if you dogs were not bred for the ring they are unlikely to be show standard....HOWEVER this does not stop you showing them for a bit of fun.
You will nned to find a ring craft class and a good groomer who can help you prepare your dogs.
I would also suggest that you visit some shows and see what the dogs look like and what goes on.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2005, 07:36 PM
Archer do not think you do need a vets letter, you just fill in the form and send it off, At least that was the rules unless they have changed of late. Will go and check now, i'll be back.

I'm back: This is the form you give the name of the vet surgeon and the date of the op but you do not require a letter.

Sorry to disagree again but there are dogs bred for the pet market who do very well in the ring and some who showed 'prommise' turn out to be useless for the show ring. Having said that having a dog castrated does not bode well for his chances in the ring unless he is a veteran, over 7 years.
ste.n.steph
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2005, 07:59 PM
thank you both for your replies.
i have noted the things you have said and i will for sure go to shows and see what goes on.
the boy who has been castrated is only 1 year and 9 months old.
i will have 2 cavaliers and 2 cockers who meet the standard for showing, their jaws are fine and are the right weight.
i still really dont know how to start showing so i will go to some shows and talk to people and take it from there.
thank you again very much
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2005, 06:37 AM
Yes, go to ringcraft, talk to your breeder if they show and attend some shows, that is the way we all learn. Would say that I would not try to show all 4 at least to start with, take them to ringcraft and get an idea of which of them may be the best prospect for the show ring. Even if the people are not experts in your breed you will find out if they move ok and if the general conformation is up to standard, the general breed things you will only find out about when you start to show.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2005, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Archer do not think you do need a vets letter, you just fill in the form and send it off, At least that was the rules unless they have changed of late. Will go and check now, i'll be back.

I'm back: This is the form you give the name of the vet surgeon and the date of the op but you do not require a letter.

Sorry to disagree again but there are dogs bred for the pet market who do very well in the ring and some who showed 'prommise' turn out to be useless for the show ring. Having said that having a dog castrated does not bode well for his chances in the ring unless he is a veteran, over 7 years.
Ahhh...no letter....just going on what I've been told since I don't show bitches.
As for pet bred doing well in the ring I think it is VERY unlikely with a breed like cavs due to the high entries and competition.Might manage the odd placing at open but would think much else would be unlikely
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >