Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-08-2004, 03:03 PM

Dont know what to do

I could really use your advice and experience please. For those of you who don't know, Ruby our Boxer has untreatable mammary cancer that has spread to her lungs. She also has mobility issues - up until recently mild.

Ruby's not doing good. The other night when Lisa came, Ruby got a bit chesty, probably unrelated to this, but worth mentionning.

Last night Ruby went over in the garden - her back legs couldn't carry her. After that, each time we stroked her, her hackles went up. We've noticed she's mainly hobbling on her back legs, but her front ones have definitely started to give her grief too, just not as bad (but that's new and worrying).

When she walks, her whole back end seems to be tilted over to one side (so looking at her from behind, her legs are on a diagonal
slant), and she's started to trip over herself a little bit and cross her legs when she walks. She doesn't seem as well built around the back end as she was, but with her not being up for treks any more that's not surprising.

She has also had sporadic and infrequent incontinence - mainly us getting up to find a huge puddle from through the night - like I said very infrequently. However, the other day she went out for a wee and came in still trickling a fair bit. Not like her.

A while back she went to the vets about this and he was reluctant to say if it was arthritis because it seemed to be caused by an injury (her limp was onesided then and she has a large scar on that hip). He said there was also a possibility that that scar was from a hip op, or a stitched wound. His theory at that point was that she'd been involved in an RTA or similar. We'll never know I suppose.

However, her symptoms now seem more like those of a degenerative problem. She is on 1500mg of glucosamine a day (pretty much the max) and also 1000mg CLA. She also has garlic.

I've been looking online and trying to work out what might be causing this and so far have come up with:

CDRM
Cushings
Spread in the cancer

Now I know that when she goes for her check, the vet is likely to suggest Rimadyl again. She had a short course of this, and we're very aware of the dangers, but needs must at this point, and she is in her final stages anyway. We have to put that aside because nothing else seems to get her back on her feet.

The thing is, this time it seems a bit worse. I'm scared that if we go this time, as fabulous as Rui is, he's going to broach the big subject. I could really use some ideas on a) what could be causing this and b) how I can help her with her pain and get her muscles back on her back end without making things worse.

I'd really appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance

Kathy
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-08-2004, 03:08 PM
Sorry - I should've put this on the Health board (didnt see it there).
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2004, 03:15 PM
sorry to hear this Kathy ...the time has come when you really have to decide whats best for her ..most pain killers are short term and really over look the real problems ..perhaps ask yourself if her quality if life is as good as it gets.........sorry no easy answers here wish I could wave a majic wand and make it better for you
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2004, 03:16 PM
Hi Kathy
has the vet mentioned any of the symptoms that Ruby now has as being part of her illness

I have no advice to offer but please give Ruby a Huge cuddle from us :smt058 I cannot imagine how horrible it must be to go through this with her
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2004, 03:16 PM
Have PM'd u Kathy
Fox
Dogsey Junior

31-08-2004, 03:20 PM
I'm so sorry Kathy. I can't give you any advice I'm afraid. Lots of hugs from Meg and I.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-08-2004, 03:20 PM
Hi Kathy, sorry to hear that Ruby is not doing well at the moment.

Sorry I cant be much help, but I know whatever you decide will be the best for Ruby.
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-08-2004, 03:38 PM
Thanks all of you.

I don't think she's ready to give up, but then knowing her she never will be. It sounds daft, but she keeps fighting and fighting and it seems to be to stay with us (I know how daft this sounds).

She's happy as long as she's here - she even stays happy when she's sore.

She doesnt realise her own limits and often pushes herself to do things she shouldnt. Many other dogs would just curl up depressed facing what she is, but she doesn't and it doesn't do her any favours unfortunately.

It would be so much easier to make *the* decision if she was depressed or had lost her will to get up and about. But she keeps going.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2004, 03:41 PM
Sending hugs and kisses to u both
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-08-2004, 04:12 PM
I've booked Ruby in for tomorrow night at 6pm. She's a bit low tonight, so I phoned the vet and he said to let her rest til then.

If anyone has any ideas that I could go armed with that would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >