View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2009, 11:07 AM

Sometimes people speak before thinking..

We've just come back from a long walk over the field and on the way back met and chatted to one middle aged lady, who made a huge fuss of Missy.

This lady told me the problem with my dog was I would feel devastated when Missy died - and that's the hard thing about adopting an oldie - I should have gone for a youngster.

I told her the real travesty would have been if this darling girl would have spent the rest of her life in kennels!

Why do people think like that?
Even if it all ended tomorrow, (please God it doesn't) we've had three and a half years of boundless love - more than some people get in their whole life.

I would do it all over again and told her so - and why.
I got a grudging "suppose so"
I wonder if it hurts, being dense?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Tis better to have loved and lost
than never loved at all....

silly woman. What a miserable little life she must have.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Tis better to have loved and lost
than never loved at all....

silly woman. What a miserable little life she must have.
So true could not have said it better.
except I don't think it hurts being dense, it is only the people that have to listen to the dense people
joto
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Maybe she had recently lost a dog and not come to terms with it yet.

Perhaps she was looking for a bit of sympathy or a chance to talk about her loss.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by joto View Post
Maybe she had recently lost a dog and not come to terms with it yet.

Perhaps she was looking for a bit of sympathy or a chance to talk about her loss.
Very charitable of you, and I sincerely applaud that.

But, I do know this lady - and she's always made a fuss of Missy, but never owned a dog herself.
She may have been justifying that , out loud . I just found the reasoning flawed.
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Very insensitive...............
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
We've just come back from a long walk over the field and on the way back met and chatted to one middle aged lady, who made a huge fuss of Missy.

This lady told me the problem with my dog was I would feel devastated when Missy died - and that's the hard thing about adopting an oldie - I should have gone for a youngster.

I told her the real travesty would have been if this darling girl would have spent the rest of her life in kennels!

Why do people think like that?
Even if it all ended tomorrow, (please God it doesn't) we've had three and a half years of boundless love - more than some people get in their whole life.

I would do it all over again and told her so - and why.
I got a grudging "suppose so"
I wonder if it hurts, being dense?
What a stupid sad woman, does she not understand that young dogs grow old at some point.

If I was to get a rescue, I'd look at an adult/older dog before a pup.

You've got to feel sorry for people that dense.
kingbenny
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Some peole love to have an opinion on everything. If it wasn't for people like you so many more dogs would end their lives in rescue centers or worse.

Silly comment to make..
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2009, 01:16 PM
I would love to be in a position to take on some rescues one day, and I think it would be nice to give a home to an oldie, because as you say, it's sad to think of them living their lives in kennels because people think they won't get their money's worth!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2009, 01:16 PM
I wonder if she was just trying to say that it is hard to lose a much loved dog? Therefore, if you had adopted a younger dog you would probably have more years to enjoy together. Nothing sinister, or personal, perhaps she just couldn't understand adopting an older dog, knowing how deeply we fall in love with our dogs, and are then devastated by their loss?

Of course, it is a shame that more people don't adopt the older dogs, like you have done, as they have so much to offer and, as you rightly say, deserve a loving home just as much as their younger counterparts.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >