Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 10:58 AM

Old Dogs...

Just reading about the old staffie that needs a home. So sad. There is something really special about older dogs, they offer so much and are such a joy to be around. They get to know your ways so well. They do ultimatly break you heart...but the joy of being around an older dog is something special.

I have to admit I probably shouldn't have read the thread as I have been missing the Biffters a lot the last few days.

So here's to the old dogs. Photos would be great. I'll start...with the Biffters. Much missed and very much loved.
AiredaleKate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-10-2009, 11:01 AM
We adopted our oldie - now heading for 13 - when he was 10 1/2 and would do it again in a heartbeat. I agree with everything you said in your post.

Here's Harry!

Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Oh Harry is adorable. What a happy face!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Here`s Bran and Laddie at Laddie`s birthday tea in July - he was 15. We think Bran is about 12
AiredaleKate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-10-2009, 11:08 AM
He's always happy. He's losing his sight now (cataracts) but still is always ready for anything, still has at least an hours walk every evening, running around like a puppy!

I know like you with your adorable boy we will lose him sooner rather than later, but we realised this when we adopted him, and have had longer than we hoped so all time with him is a bonus.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Here`s Bran and Laddie at Laddie`s birthday tea in July - he was 15. We think Bran is about 12
Oh Claire they are lovely
Originally Posted by AiredaleKate View Post
He's always happy. He's losing his sight now (cataracts) but still is always ready for anything, still has at least an hours walk every evening, running around like a puppy!

I know like you with your adorable boy we will lose him sooner rather than later, but we realised this when we adopted him, and have had longer than we hoped so all time with him is a bonus.
That is just brilliant for his age isn't it? How fantastic...and well done you for adopting an oldie. I think they are so deserving of home...I hate to see oldies in rescue.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Here's a photo of Kip.

He was at leat 8 years old (and according to our vet more likely 9 or 10) when we got him and we had 5 wonderful years with him.

No idea about his past life, but I could never understand how he ended up in rescue.

Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Hali, he was such a handsome boy. I always loved your photos of him, he had that wonderful old,soft intelligent collie look about him. I confess I had hoped you would post a pic of him
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 12:30 PM

Our Remy, who came to us aged almost 10 years old and who has been here over 14 months.... losing her will be so hard... but I would do it over again, she has brought so much joy and in some ways it is alot easier to cope with an oldie than a puppy, less messy!! Remy has shown us true devotion and love and when she goes I really will lose one of my bestest friends!!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post

Our Remy, who came to us aged almost 10 years old and who has been here over 14 months.... losing her will be so hard... but I would do it over again, she has brought so much joy and in some ways it is alot easier to cope with an oldie than a puppy, less messy!! Remy has shown us true devotion and love and when she goes I really will lose one of my bestest friends!!
Hugs. Loads of them. Such a lovely photo of her too.
I think taking on an older dog is an amazing and special thing to do...they offer so much and ask for so little don't they?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >