Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Briard Lover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-10-2009, 07:48 PM

Puppy Walking for the Guide Dogs

Has anyone ever done this, friends of ours are thinking of been a puppy walker and I just wondered what it was like, is it hard work and do you have to stick to a ridged routine with them.

I admire them for thinking about doing this, I couldn't do it I could never give the puppy back to them.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Yes I was a puppy walker for a long while and still board for them.
Yes..it is hard work...yes it is hard giving the pups back. It can be rewarding and it teaches you (well it did me) a great deal.

It also raises questions sometimes.

I am now happy with my very spoilt 'pet' dogs.
fluffybland
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Yes..it is hard work...yes it is hard giving the pups back. It can be rewarding and it teaches you (well it did me) a great deal
Agreed! It's not really like having a pet dog. There are guidelines to adhere to, and lots of environments and situations to introduce puppy to, and sometimes it is very very hard work. But it is also a very rewarding process to be involved with.

You also can meet like minded people, and sometimes make some very good friends,

It is heartbreaking when you let them go, but I just have to remind myself that someone else needs them more than I do.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Yes I was a puppy walker for a long while and still board for them.
Yes..it is hard work...yes it is hard giving the pups back. It can be rewarding and it teaches you (well it did me) a great deal.

I am now happy with my very spoilt 'pet' dogs.
Originally Posted by fluffybland View Post
Agreed! It's not really like having a pet dog. There are guidelines to adhere to, and lots of environments and situations to introduce puppy to, and sometimes it is very very hard work. But it is also a very rewarding process to be involved with.

You also can meet like minded people, and sometimes make some very good friends,

It is heartbreaking when you let them go, but I just have to remind myself that someone else needs them more than I do.
Never done it, but know someone who does and I think she would agree with the both replies xx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by fluffybland View Post

Absolute shame on me for not adding that in. You also sometimes...meet someone who is living a parallel existence, which is both weird and wonderful all mixed in together
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 11:01 AM
I haven't done puppy walking, but do board guide dogs here when owners are unable to have them. Some dogs have been with me 6 months, some only ovenight. I enjoy it, have learnt alot and met some lovely people as a result.

My opinion, your friend should go and make contact with guide dogs to find out more info on doing it, then make their decision from there. Best of luck to them!

Ramble, I'm curious as to what questions puppy walking raised for you. Where they on a personal level or with regards to dog training etc? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to get into it on this thread. x
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
I haven't done puppy walking, but do board guide dogs here when owners are unable to have them. Some dogs have been with me 6 months, some only ovenight. I enjoy it, have learnt alot and met some lovely people as a result.

My opinion, your friend should go and make contact with guide dogs to find out more info on doing it, then make their decision from there. Best of luck to them!

Ramble, I'm curious as to what questions puppy walking raised for you. Where they on a personal level or with regards to dog training etc? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to get into it on this thread. x
I'll PM you!
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 02:37 PM
i've also done it and agree with everyone else.

someone said to me one day that seeing me with a dog is like seeing his wife with a favourite handbag.
i was so touched!

its a rewarding thing to do knowing that your doing something for the less fortunate.

if i hadnt got 2 dogs of my own i'd do it again.
JaniceH
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Ive just become a Guide Dog Puppy walker, and our first pup arrives on the 21st October

Ive wanted to do it for a very long time, but I really wanted to go into it with my eyes wide open and find out as much as I possibly could. I spoke to quite a few people at length, and just because its a massive organisation it doesnt mean that everything is always 100%.

Ive just been through the assessment process and although it didnt take long, it was quite involved. Application forms, references, interview on the telephone, home visit etc. But its all worth while.

My main motiviation was that my Grandad was an incredibly active person but developed macular degeneration and lost his sight. He was told that there would be three years to wait until he could have a Guide Dog due to lack of puppy walkers. He adored dogs (he'd kept the bowl and lead from his last dog for some 50 years) a GD would have made all the difference to his life. He died nearly a year ago, without having moved to the top of the list. Ive had dogs a long time and I really enjoy dog training and Ive moved far away from my family and dont know many people so I thought it might be a good way of making friends as well.

I also think I watched FAR too many Blue Peter's as a child!!

We cant wait for Osborn to arrive, and although we have a dog of our own, we will be devastated when Osborn has to leave us. But its a bit like fostering children, you treat them just like your own, with love, attention and all the hugs and cuddles they need, but you know that they will be moving on to a different life where they will be loved just as much.
fluffybland
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2009, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by JaniceH View Post
Ive just become a Guide Dog Puppy walker, and our first pup arrives on the 21st October
Awww... Good for you! Welcome to the world of puppywalking!! Sounds like you've done your homework on the subject! Some people come into puppywalking with rose tinted glasses on...I think alot of the time the perception people have of 'Guide Dogs' is from the qualified sensible well behaved guide dogs,with amazing temperaments and loyalty, which is great for PR.... but some people don't realise how much effort and time it takes to get them like that!!! They're not born knowing how to be a guide dog just because they're bred by Guide Dogs, they're just puppies! Some are sweet and gentle, some are bonkers and off the wall... but its with the right upbringing and training that they transform into what will become someones eyes...

I'm sure your Grandad would be very proud of you, because without puppywalkers there wouldnt be any Guide Dogs, be sure to post a piccie of Osborn when he arrives! What breed is he?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >