Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 09:58 PM
A few quick thoughts on successful Recall teaching:

Set the dog up for success (so never call when the dog is for example about to play and you are not at the standard where you are one hundred per cent sure the dog will return. If necessary wait until he/she is tired from playing and recall, or go and calmly get the dog).

Use high value rewards - you can actually teach a dog to value certain toys etc by using them for special training rewards.

Practice often

Make it enjoyable for both dog and owner

Let the dog go back to play often, don't always put it on a lead when you practice recall.

TAke the collar as the dog recalls, give a reward, or click and treat, or have a game, etc

Use a release word to let the dog know he/she can go back and play

Dogs don't generalise well, so you start in the house,get perfect recall; go to garden, get perfect recall, go to quiet place (park?) get perfect recall; go to a more busy place, get perfect recall etc - with a puppy or untrained older dog, you may have to re-train from the beginning in many places before the dog understands recall in the park means the same as recall in the house.

When you are more confident, and recall is getting good, try doing some dog tricks which help with recall eg, get a friend and train dogs to recall moving towards and past each other (not crossing over though) and that kind of thing. Also, ultimate aim, train for the chase recall and later, emergency stop!

Clicker training is excellent for all of this, I did my training with clicker mostly. If the dog doesn't do as you ask there may be many reasons, eg lack of motivation, female hormones (is the dog due in season?), distractions (you have not trained for distractions well enough) etc etc etc

Keep training fun, motivation high and aim to be an excellent trainer!!

There's lots more but that's a few anyway
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-06-2006, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by Ulefos
Oh, I found that soooo helpful! Charlie has got a tad lazy with his recall, (or maybe it's me??) so will do some more training tomorrow.
Hi Ulifos you may also find this Dogweb article on Recall useful, why not print it out as a reminder...

http://www.dogweb.co.uk/dog-articles.php?t=8049
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2006, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg
Hi

I'm interested in that Gemma is 5 and wondering if she was ever good at recall or, whether she has ever really responded to you well (ie fast, fluently etc)?

If she has been good (or at least, better) in the past and has now become worse, you may need to ask yourself what (if anything) has changed.

Sometimes, a behavioural change in an adult dog can be due to a health problem (although this is in the absence of any other reason of course).

How did you train her initially?

What was her best Recall time (ie puppy, or age 2, 3, 4, etc?)

Have you ever told her off for not coming back, or has anyone else done so?

Do you keep calling her? (if you do this, ie "Gemma come, here Gemma, Gemma, oh Gemma here, come here..."
then she will be used to ignoring you

If she's got used to you calling her and she ignoring you, you may need to change the word you use, or even try whistle training as a complete change

Going back to basics may be best, but you need to be sure you totally understand the "rules" and best way to train for success! And make sure others do the same and are consistent.

There are lots of things you can do, for example go on strange walks, keep changing direction, do play training, teach seek and find, all these things help with the dog paying attention. Getting attention is part of the relationship as a whole, you want a dog who, when you call, looks up with shining eyes and says "wow, you want me? I'm coming NOW! "

I have a good recall and do lots of fun rewarding things. Many walks are also training sessions although there is lots of free running and play and sniffing allowed. I always think that if anyone wants a well trained dog, they need to train a little each day and have fun doing it. OK maybe not every day, but just a bit here and there
Thanks for your rreply ,i think you just gave me the kick start i needed,i will keep you posted on progress .
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2006, 08:26 AM
Good luck!!!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2