Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I have to ask, more because I'm curious really as I know I've always done the best by my dogs, but can you tell me how you would've handled the following situation.....

I was on nightshifts and when I arrived home one morning I walked in to find Pickles on his last legs, gasping for breath. It turned out that he had collapsed after his last walk and stopped breathing. My Mam revived him and he'd then struggled for breath all night. It was Sunday morning when I came home, my vets was shut and my elderly 15 year old dog was clearly suffering. I rang the emergency vets, took him down for them to have a look at knowing full well that I'd have to leave him behind. It broke my heart as I've always preferred to have my dogs PTS at home.

You say there is no need to take a dog to the vets to be PTS - so how would you've ended Pickles' suffering that day given that it was Sunday and the emergency vets didn't do call outs?
Oh blimey---I was answering A POST not being specific to every situation.

The situation you describe is one of the reasons I make sure my vets are there all the time and don't use emergency vets----but I QUITE ACCEPT AND UNDERSTAND THAT NOT EVERYONE HAS THAT CHOICE.

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
For the last time---I DIDN'T MAKE ANY JUDGEMENT ON ANYONE WHO CHOSE TO TAKE THEIR DOG TO THE VET TO BE PTS.

I don't normally get this annoyed by the fact that people are unable to follow a thread and read posts properly in relation to each other but this is REALLY getting up my nose!

rune
This is what you wrote Rune,for all to see and interpret as it was meant.

Originally Posted by rune
I have never taken a dog to the vet to be pts except one who was in the back of a car---since he lived in a car for many years he loved to be there. Also Rusty because he needed to see his owner in the home and he wasn't taken into the vets but was outside in the garden there.

My dogs are pts eating a pepperami stick or pate off a pepperami stick and are as relaxed as I can make them at home.

No reason to take a dog in to be pts.rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
OK, so for augments sake, you got a crash course on the benifits of euthanizing by slitting a dogs throat.

You have two options, 1) take the dog to the vet to be euthanized, 2) have a slaughter man come and slit your dog's throat!

Its a simple enough question, but one some are avoiding like the plaque , before the will answer.
You can't expect anyone to answer without having had your crash course!

It appears there is a big difference of opinion on the pain attached to having your throat cut.

Personally I would imagine it IS painful and might not be the best idea---but I don't have a clue really----do you?

rune
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 09:21 PM

The situation you describe is one of the reasons I make sure my vets are there all the time and don't use emergency vets----but I QUITE ACCEPT AND UNDERSTAND THAT NOT EVERYONE HAS THAT CHOICE.

rune
Oh blimey indeed!

Ah so what you actually meant is taking a dog to the vets to be PTS doesn't always have to be the only option? Given that quite a few people have opposed your post I think rather than getting irate you really need to think before you post. Just a suggestion.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
This is what you wrote Rune,for all to see and interpret as it was meant.
Why did you not actually copy everything? Did it not suit you to read my post IN CONTEXT?

What I wrote was this----if you check it was in reply to ONE post. The options given in the post I answered were just the two----I was pointing out that there are others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeybear
I would prefer its throat to be slit in situ to taking it to the vets where it could be in its home surroundings, amongst nature where they preferred to be and as relaxed as possible where they had not previous negative experiences as all animals have at the vets, even if they only get jabbed.

I have never taken a dog to the vet to be pts except one who was in the back of a car---since he lived in a car for many years he loved to be there. Also Rusty because he needed to see his owner in the home and he wasn't taken into the vets but was outside in the garden there.

My dogs are pts eating a pepperami stick or pate off a pepperami stick and are as relaxed as I can make them at home.

No reason to take a dog in to be pts.

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

11-05-2011, 09:23 PM
You can't expect anyone to answer without having had your crash course!

It appears there is a big difference of opinion on the pain attached to having your throat cut.

Personally I would imagine it IS painful and might not be the best idea---but I don't have a clue really----do you?
rune
No, but thats the point, knowing or not knowing, how painful or not it is..

To even think I would have someone come to my home and slit my dogs throat... before I would take him to a surgery to be euthanized by an injection, is abhorrent even thinking about it.

Who in their right mind would subject their dog /cat to having someone stick a knife in its throat to bleed it to death, before taking it to a vet and having it go peacefully to sleep.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 09:24 PM

rune
some people dont want that choice ... and there is nothing wrong in that.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

11-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Why did you not actually copy everything? Did it not suit you to read my post IN CONTEXT? What I wrote was this----if you check it was in reply to ONE post. The options given in the post I answered were just the two----I was pointing out that there are others.

Quote:
I would prefer its throat to be slit in situ to taking it to the vets where it could be in its home surroundings, amongst nature where they preferred to be and as relaxed as possible where they had not previous negative experiences as all animals have at the vets, even if they only get jabbed.

No reason to take a dog in to be pts.

rune
Rune, I copied what you wrote in all its context??
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Oh blimey indeed!

Ah so what you actually meant is taking a dog to the vets to be PTS doesn't always have to be the only option? Given that quite a few people have opposed your post I think rather than getting irate you really need to think before you post. Just a suggestion.
Did you actually bother to read the post I bothered to quote---or was it easier not to? If I had wanted to post it as a stand alone post I wouldn't have bothered.

If you'd like to check now it is just above as I have had to re quote it as Jackbox took it out of context.

rune
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Quote:
my dogs get jabbed at home,and alot of things that would normally be done at a vets...also for some of my dogs vet situations are almost like 2nd homes.
Page 31 of 41 « First < 21 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 > Last »