Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 11:36 AM

Feeding one meal a day to only one dog?

daphni has a bit of a weird eating pattern. i usually feed the dogs at anywhere between 8.30am and 10.30 am for their breakfast, and anywhere between 5pm and 7pm for their tea.

the boys eat whatever is in their bowl as soon as you put it down. however daphni seems to prefer her food later on. she will eat her breakfast at 12ish and wont eat her tea until about 9.30pm.

i thought about only feeding her one meal a day to see if this makes a difference?

how many of you feed one meal a day? i thought she could have her foor all in one go when the boys have their evening meal.

is it too long for a little dog to go without food do you think?

and what do i do with daphni when i feed the boys? i thought of maybe doing a bit of clicker training with her or something.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 11:44 AM
As you know, my 4 are on different times because two of them are elsewhere during the week.

Sadie is on one meal a day.
Benjie is free fed. (But not here)
Louie and Pennie are on 2 meals a day.

However I learnt something new the other day. Dogs can regulate their own glucose levels so feeding them on one meal a day is fine.

I say if she likes to be fed at the times you listed, feed her then..
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Millie was getting picky at meal times for a bit and I it felt like she was ready to go down one meal. SO

I reduced her evening meal by half, then gave her normal size breakfast at breakfast.

the 2nd evening meal was recuded a bit more and the spare portion was added to her breakfast the next day and so on till I felt she was happy with one meal.

She now gets a kong filling or a bone in the evening.

This has worked out really well and I find that she is even really responsive to recall training now, not sure if one has something to do with the other but 1 meal a day works for me and Millie and thats the way it will stay.
Seacrow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-07-2012, 10:02 PM
If it is too long depends a lot on the dog. From when we got her (age 4) to about 12 years old we fed Ellie (papillon) 1 meal a day. Then she started throwing up yellowish vomit in the morning. The vet said its bile, and its happening because she's going too long between meals. We switched to 2 meals a day - no more bile. The vet did say its more common in smaller dogs as they age, than larger, younger dogs but there's no way to predict which dogs it will affect.

Maybe doing some clicker training is ideal - she gets a tiny snack to keep her stomach ticking over, but not enough to keep her from eating her main meal with the boys.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 08:50 AM
thanks for the replies.. i think im going to start trying her next week with it and see how we go