View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2012, 10:44 AM
I give my 12kg terrier x 2 tablets every 8 hours on really bad days (he has a grass allergy). Sometimes this really knocks him for six so I tend to reduce it then to one. These are the Piriton tablets that have 4mg chlorphenamine maleate (this has a few different names but all based around the chlorphen- prefix). This was the amount and type prescribed by my vet. They basically said if it makes him really drowsy lower the dose if it doesn't don't go any higher than 2 every 8 hours.
kjones6670
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-07-2012, 01:28 PM
I have just been out and brought some Sudocrem for Ernie and the lady at work has really told me off and said that if I put that on him it will burn and he will lick it off and be really sick - now I am really confused!!!
parsonsmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Dermacton is good at relieving itchy skin......it didn't stop the problem with Dougs skin but it did soothe the skin and allow it to heal.
http://www.aromesse.com/skin-problem...og-canine.html

Episoothe shampoo is good too. I found it more effective than the malaseb(sp?) shampoo that's vets usually prescribe.
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-shampoos-...l-bottle-p-170

You can use chlorphenamine tablets(4mg) instead of Piriton.....they're much cheaper than the brand name. Local chemist or buy online.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2012, 02:02 PM
Hibiscrub just cleans the area he is scratching at to help combat secondary infections.
The real aim is to find out what causes it. Have you changed his food, treats or routine? Have you acquired a cat? It is possible to have allergy tests done but these are expensive so play detective first?
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by kjones6670 View Post
One of my miniature daschunds has got red blotches on his groin and under his arms. He is scratching them red raw and licking them. I have been to the vets with this problem before about one month ago and they gave him a course of antibiotics. I have put some tea tee cream on it and have ordered some medicated shampoo and vitamin e off the internet as I have been told that this may help.

Ernie has had this problem on and off for about 12 months (he is two years old). His brother Bert has no such problems.

I have also noticed that Ernie may be going slightly bald on his underside.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing this and is there anything I can do to help him?

When he went to the vet a month ago he was given Frontline so I do not think he has fleas or mites.

Thanks
From what you describe it does sound like a contact (environmental) allergy as opposed to a food related allergy.

My dog has a dust and stoage mite allergy and when his symptoms started 5 years ago, it affected his stomach and under his arms.

I use dermacton on Coles and I used to use episooth shampoo. Both of them work really well to help sooth the skin. Coles used to also take steroids for his allergy until I had the allergy testing done. I'm not saying get your dog on steroids as it may not be necessary for your dog.

I would take him back to the vets and see what the vet says. It does sound like an allergy.

Keep us updated and I hope his skin starts to get better.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Even thought it might not be food related, I would change to a better quality wet food that doesn't contain any wheat/gluten/cereals, and some meat, rather than a very low percentage of meat derivatives - just to eliminate any chances of it being this.

I feed my Chihuahuas Natures Harvest, but other good foods to consider are Arden Grange Partners, Natures Menu.....and Im sure other people can suggest some other good ones
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Even thought it might not be food related, I would change to a better quality wet food that doesn't contain any wheat/gluten/cereals, and some meat, rather than a very low percentage of meat derivatives - just to eliminate any chances of it being this.

I feed my Chihuahuas Natures Harvest, but other good foods to consider are Arden Grange Partners, Natures Menu.....and Im sure other people can suggest some other good ones
agree with this. The more you can boost his general health, the more his immune system will improve.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2012, 12:45 AM
Either ring your vet or go and see him and ask the correct dosage of Piriton

If it is a grass allergy - when your dog comes in from a walk or run on grass, sponge him or her down with a mild solution of allergy shampoo - someone suggested Episoothe which is good, taking care to sponge affected areas. Pat dry gently with clean tissue If it is grass related, this can help
Dr Salter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-07-2012, 07:09 AM
The correct dosage of Piriton 4mg is one tablet twice a day for 2 weeks.

I used to give these to my Australian Terrier when he had heat spots. Try not giving him any chews etc with Animal Derivatives. Might you also consider switching him to a raw diet, which I am doing with my Toby. Good luck.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2012, 07:42 AM
Sorry about poor little Ernie - it must be driving him mad

One of my two (nearly 18mths) was scratching almost non stop last summer and the vet seemed to think it was a grass allergy OR food allergy. This year he hasn't scratched at all so it was definitely food related. It turns out he is intolerant to beef and grain, and chicken to a certain extent (well he isn't but his insides are ) I changed his food to a grain free fish food and he has never looked back.

I asked this forum about soothing shampoos and I have been using Quistel which has been fab. I was told last year that it could have been a grass allergy as well as food and I waited with baited breath for him to start scratching this year .... he never did thank goodness. Last year he even had little scabs all over him, but mainly his tummy but all due to food intolerance.

His brother (who I also have) can eat anything and appears to have no allergies at all

Good luck and keep us informed.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >