View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 02:12 PM
With respect to gates, we got our extra tall ones from Sainsbury's Homebase. Even our 2 giants cannot jump over them - we have one in the doorway of their bedroom , which is next to our's. They can see out, the door isn't shut, just the gate, but we have now reached the point where we can shut our bedroom door without them kicking up.

Gates are a bit like crates, they are wonderful because the dogs don't feel shut in by them, they feel safe. And they can see and hear their humans whilst they go about their daily business.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Dogs don't have grudges and you can't take his behaviour personally. You have a difficult rescue dog with issues. He will take a long time to trust you.
He doesn't hate you, he just doesn't know you yet, it can take years before an abused dog trusts you but honestly it is SO worth the tears and the frustrations.
I;d probably teach him to be happy in a large crate so that I could pop him in there with a stuffed kong if need be.
The hand feeding is an interesting dilemma. I stopped hand feedingour feral dog and he came round on his own. However I hadn't got any expectations, if he growled and barked at me I didn't take it personally, mainly because I had other dogs and he was extra so not the entire focus of my attention. I still think I'd go with the hand feeding everything, nothing in his bowl but some stuff in kongs etc.
He probably owuldn't jump a dog gate---although I have had dogs who do. Asda sell them
Teach him to wear a muzzle and be comfy in it, put treats in it to get him used to it and if you use the plastic covered lurcher ones form countrymun they should fit and you can treat him through them. That way you will feel safe when you are out with him.
You can tell people that it is to stop him eating rubbish.

Cheer up, you are doing a great job with a damaged and insecure dog.

rune
I hate having to admit this, you old baggage, but that is one heck of a good post there

Very well said Rune ... especially the muzzle. We found with Ben taking him to the vet for his mange mite treatment, we were so worried that he would savage the vet, but the muzzle actually calmed Ben down. It seemed to take the pressure off him to have to bite!! It was as if he could just relax and let the vet do his job without losing face! Admittedly, the vet was wonderful, ignored Ben but just stroked his ear gently whilst he was talking to us. Eventually, he just took the muzzle off and now Ben is fine with the vet.

I think muzzles are great - and as you say, you can always explain that it is there not because the dog may bite, but because he picks up undesirable things.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Niccie View Post
Thank you for your responses, especially Rune! I'd go mental without this forum, trying to talk to friends and family about Riley isn't productive generally.

I may have been a tad emotional claiming my dog hates me, I don't always personify animals I swear!

We have been doing one-to-one training once a week but I had a 'shop around' before and have someone coming for an assessment on Tuesday - I think this might lead us down a more productive path, or at the very least I hope.

I managed to catch the postman this morning and I apologized for any 'distress' - I told him at the weekend we would get a box for outside or a letter box guard.

I also left Riley in the kitchen with his bed, some new cushions he could put in or out, every shape and size kong the pet shop sold filled with a variety of meats.

I'm feeling very positive and excited for Tuesday!
Great---stay positive if you can and when you get negative take a deep breath, pour a glass of wine and try and switch off for a while. It won't be easy and you will go backwards sometimes. Thats life!

You can freeze kongs as well, yoghurt freezes well.

Meant to ask---what is he fed on?

rune
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-10-2012, 01:33 PM
He's fed on JWB turkey & rice - it's done wonders for his skin allergy to the extent he has come off immunosuppresants.

Today went wonderful and I feel like a new 'new' dog owner. I'm not sure what the protocol is for recommending trainers but I can not recommend the trainer who just came to help us out enough!
We've seen a few now and paying a little extra for someone further afield was worth it!
I think I realised during today that I'm the one being trained, and she definitely used positive reinforcement with me

She taught me interactive games I can play with Riley and explain things which seem silly on reflection but you just don't realise while doing them!

Finally feel like have a way of clicker training him without food that will last and can not wait to get home and do some more training with him. He's so clever and watching him figure things out by himself is just brilliant to watch.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2