Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by WhichPets View Post
Don't worry too much, ive seen it for £36 for 12kg which looks pretty good on a couple of sites.
Just wanted to buy a small bag and not pay the P&P for odering such a small amount! I can get it for £8 on the F4D website though.. even though its pricier it includes postage
F4Dogs has faaaaantastic customer service, and I'm sure if you e-mailed them explaining you want to try their food, they'd be more than happy to send you samples of all of it including the brilliant packs of salmon mousse which I mix with my kibble, OR you never know, they might offer you a small bag at a special price just to get you hooked? Try it, they really are very nice people to deal with, can't fault them.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Yeah we use the wainwrights wet trays too sometimes as well as the kibble like I said for keisha, ours love them!
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 05:03 PM
If you join the Arden Grange breeder club (minimum two dogs) you get the food VAT free (ie around £29 per 15kg bag). There is a small delivery charge and a minimum quantity of two bags but it comes within 48 hours.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
If you join the Arden Grange breeder club (minimum two dogs) you get the food VAT free (ie around £29 per 15kg bag). There is a small delivery charge and a minimum quantity of two bags but it comes within 48 hours.
Do you actually have to be a breeder though ?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by WhichPets View Post
My dog has reached her 1st birthday and I am thinking about changing her food as I think we can do better than ProPlan

I would like to stick with dry food for the moment (no freezer space for raw and prefer not to feed wet).
I am looking for something around £35-40 per 15kg. Ideally from PAH but they don't seem to stock lots of the better things so can shop online too.

I have fed JWB and ProPlan so far. She's fed on ProPlan (salmon) because she likes the small, more oily kibble but not sure it's as good as it could be and recently some of her stools are a bit soft - is this a sign of overfeeding or bad food?!

What would you reccomend?
Thanks in advance

I think there a few things to consider when changing foods.

First of all I note from some of your posts that you say your dog is slim, but that would be normal for a year old dog, they may have finished (most breeds) growing in height but they have still to fill out, so they are the equivalent of a lanky teenager!

Two meals a day would be the average frequency of feeding in a dog of this age and an adult.

Most of us who work full time would struggle to fit in more than that I think!

There are literally HUNDREDS of dog foods out there, and what suits one dog will not suit another 9just like I cannot eat vine leaves)

There are some key things to look for on the label.

The higher the fat/oil content the more palatable it is to dogs, it also means that it is more calorie dense than one that is low, therefore that means you do not have to feed as much in VOLUME or WEIGHT usually.

That is why unless you know this, you cannot compare foods properly as ingredients alone will not give you this info.

Then you should be looking for a food that has as FEW ingredients as possible eg grains; a food that has one source or at most two is better than a mish mash.

The reason for manufacturer's doing this is to disguise certain things from consumers.

EG most people believe that if (insert relevant protein) is the FIRST on the label that the food contains MORE of this than anything else.

It does not.

It means it is the largest SINGLE ingredient but when you say add up oats, barley, maize, rice then it is clear that products marketed as Chicken and Rice should really be named Grain and chicken!

Some things to be aware of.

Apart form foods such as Orijen 99% of all dog food are at LEAST 50% carbohydrate (whether that is in potato or grain form)

Dogs get their energy from oils/fats not carbs.

If you find several foods that come within your price range, then read the labels and write down a comparison chart to see what you are ACTUALLY getting for you money!

It is tough deciding what to feed!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
No, years ago (when I fed kibble) I used to get JWB on breeder's terms so to speak, you just filled in a form then and I think there was a minimum order if I remember correctly?

Things might have changed since then, it was in the early 90s!
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
No, you don't.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 06:19 PM
No, you don't.
I didn't know this, i'm surprised more people don't do it as i would imagine you could get quite a discount !
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 07:04 PM
I feed Arden Grange and buy it from Berriewoods. I tend to buy four 15kg sacks at a time, and get them for £24.88 per sack with free delivery.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
F4Dogs has faaaaantastic customer service, and I'm sure if you e-mailed them explaining you want to try their food, they'd be more than happy to send you samples of all of it including the brilliant packs of salmon mousse which I mix with my kibble, OR you never know, they might offer you a small bag at a special price just to get you hooked? Try it, they really are very nice people to deal with, can't fault them.
Thanks, I rang them to see if they could help find stockets near me but no luck! I did try a little sample bag my family got from a garden centre somewhere so she does like it I have ordered a small bag off their website, hoping it arrives Monday

Thanks, that's interesting to know. I have gone for F4D this time - Arden Grange looks good too though.

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I think there a few things to consider when changing foods.

First of all I note from some of your posts that you say your dog is slim, but that would be normal for a year old dog, they may have finished (most breeds) growing in height but they have still to fill out, so they are the equivalent of a lanky teenager!

Yep she's definately at the lanky stage I'm not worried about her weight, she seems good to me, just needs to fill out a little which should come with age.

Two meals a day would be the average frequency of feeding in a dog of this age and an adult.

Most of us who work full time would struggle to fit in more than that I think!

I could fit 3 but I don't think she'll be interested.. she was saying no to that from about 5-6 months old! Will stick with 2.

There are literally HUNDREDS of dog foods out there, and what suits one dog will not suit another 9just like I cannot eat vine leaves)

There are some key things to look for on the label.

The higher the fat/oil content the more palatable it is to dogs, it also means that it is more calorie dense than one that is low, therefore that means you do not have to feed as much in VOLUME or WEIGHT usually.

That is why unless you know this, you cannot compare foods properly as ingredients alone will not give you this info.

Then you should be looking for a food that has as FEW ingredients as possible eg grains; a food that has one source or at most two is better than a mish mash.

The reason for manufacturer's doing this is to disguise certain things from consumers.

EG most people believe that if (insert relevant protein) is the FIRST on the label that the food contains MORE of this than anything else.

It does not.

It means it is the largest SINGLE ingredient but when you say add up oats, barley, maize, rice then it is clear that products marketed as Chicken and Rice should really be named Grain and chicken!

Some things to be aware of.

Apart form foods such as Orijen 99% of all dog food are at LEAST 50% carbohydrate (whether that is in potato or grain form)

Dogs get their energy from oils/fats not carbs.

If you find several foods that come within your price range, then read the labels and write down a comparison chart to see what you are ACTUALLY getting for you money!

It is tough deciding what to feed!
Thanks so much for all the nutririon advice, I wasn't even aware of grain splitting until I read it in one of your other posts! F4D has around 54% meat (fish!) which seemed to be the highest as Wainwrights is only 26%. It only has around 2% more oil and fat but I guess any extra is a good thing.

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I feed Arden Grange and buy it from Berriewoods. I tend to buy four 15kg sacks at a time, and get them for £24.88 per sack with free delivery.
Thanks, that is good value!

Thanks to everyone for all their advice It's definately not easy..took me the best part of yesterday deciding! Hopefully the Fish 4 Dogs will work out nicely
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >