Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Eileen Goodman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-07-2010, 06:59 AM

Help needed with orphan puppy

Hi,I hope someone out there can give me some advice.
We found a 1 day old puppy in our garden(in Portugal).Rushed him to a vet and was told the only option(other than them putting him down!)was to hand rear him.He is 4 weeks old today.Other than us being falling over tired he has progressed really well.He weighed 320grams and is now about 2000grams.The main problem at the moment is he's not pooing.This started last week and he had an enema last Thursday(by the vet)which worked.This was followed by 1ml of Liquid Paraffin on Sat which also worked.We gave him 1ml again last night,which so far has not produced anything.We are feeding him on Royal Canin Babydog milk.We did have him up to 80ml but reduced it to 60ml and also reduced the powder to 2 scoops instead of 3 as he was constipated.We have continued the same amount and mix since Sat and we are now concerned that it's not enough food.His teeth are through(the back teeth still breaking) and he is a very hungry baby.The vet gave me some small biscuits to soak in milk which she said we could start to introduce as and when his teeth are through.Could it be that he is not getting enough food to produce a poo?I started to get him to lap some of his milk this morning and he did quite well. I intend to try soaking the biscuits for his next feed but have no idea how much to give him.I thought if I give him 60ml of milk and them soak some of the food(maybe a teaspoonful) in another 20ml and let him lap it maybe he will get enough bulk to get him going. Any advice you can give me would be great. One other question is when does the hearing develop? I am quite sure he cannot hear yet is this normal?
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2010, 07:39 AM
First of all well done you for taking on this little one. At 4weeks old it should be getting more than milk. Its bowels may be sluggish due to the fact its only getting milk.
I have toy breed and some of them can be slower at starting onto the solid food stage.
What I do is mix some meat or soak dry food with the milk to start with then gradually reduce the milk in the food.
At 4 weeks old this little one should be hearing Any piccies
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 07:52 AM
You need to stimulate him to defecate---wipe around his bottom with a dampish material---it simulates the bitch licking them.

good luck

rune
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 08:14 AM
I agree with advice given, hopefully you have been stimulating him by rubbing his privates with a damp cloth or cotton wool.
Just try alittle tiny bit of biscuit with his milk mixed in, or another way is a little weetabix (only a tiny amount) with his milk.
Best wishes and well done to you xxxxx
Eileen Goodman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-07-2010, 08:29 AM
Hi All,Thanks for getting back to me.Yes,we have been using the wet cotton wool,this worked until a week ago.Have just made a 80ml milk drink,gave him 60ml in bottle and mixed the biscuit in the remainder till pulpy.He loved it! Now keeping fingers crossed he get a movement or else it will be the vet once again! Would love to put pic's on but not sure how to,only just getting the hang of putting out message.Also on the wrong computer for the pic's! Will work on it!
Will let you know if he goes on his own.
Thanks again
Eileen Goodman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Just a quick update.Decided to phone the vets at 12,still no poo since Sat night.They have taken him in and are going to do a Barium Mill X Ray.I am to pick him up at 7pm tonight.Keeping my fingers crossed as to lose him now would be terrible,we both love him so much.This is going to be the longest afternoon ever.To make matters worse my husband has had to return to the UK over night.Timing or what!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 12:34 PM
aw well done for taking him In, what a lucky little pupster.
Sorry to hear hes not toileting on his own at the moment but hes at the vets now and hopefully something can be done to help him. Fingers crossed he Is home safe and well later today. Let us know Good luck.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 06:14 PM
I agree with everyone, how lovely of you to take him in and he has obviously won your heart, he is one lucky little pup. We live in Southern Spain and all my incidents and heartaches seem to happen when my husband is back in the UK. I have to say though this forum has seen me through some horrible days so I shouldn't worry too much you will have as much support as you want or ask for on here. Looking forward to an update, what have you called the little one? Gill
Eileen Goodman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-07-2010, 06:01 AM
Good morning all,The update on my pup is that he is on solids,pooing for Portugal and a much more content dog.I actually slept from 12.30 till 5.30(the longest sleep in a month!).
I have to take him back to the vet this morning just for them to make sure he's on track with the food ect but I'm sure all is ok.
I so wish I had found this site a few weeks ago,I was tearing my hair out trying to work out what to do and when.I asked a vet last Thursday if he should be on solids and she told me not until his teeth were through.They were coming through the next morning and we returned to the vet on Sat and we asked again.I think a lot is lost in translation,the vets are all either Dutch,German ect.Anyway the main thing is that it's onwards and upwards from now(I hope!).
I do have another question,I now know how much dog food/Biscuit to give over a 24 hour period,but this is a long,messy feeding and I want to know if it's the midnight feed is it ok to make that feed milk? I would aim to get him on 2 feeds as he grows up and thought 3 solid meals a day and milk at night would set the way to come.By all means tell me if that is wrong,I know you all know much more than I do,it's all a learning curve. Also any tips on the best way to stop him getting in the food.I tried using a saucer,then a small sauce bowl(that was a little easier)but it's not easy.Any help,thanks in advance.
Some one asked me what we had called the puppy,What else could we call him but LUCKY!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2010, 06:30 AM
Oh Eileen, Im so happy to hear he is pooing for portugal! For some reason, dogs and their poos will become an obesession to keep an eye out for, its amazing how much you can tell about how a dog is feeling, by their poo! Its like the canine equivalent of Gillian McKeith!

I cant comment on his feeding as ive never hand reared a pup, but there are plenty of people in here with vast experience!

I just wanted to say, its such a wonderful thing you are doing for this wee boy and I hope all continues to be well.

Alex
xxx
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »