Our sister sites
Our sister sites
emma-rose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-07-2008, 11:29 AM

Dog eating cat food.

Hi,

I have a wire haired dsachund who is just about to have her first birthday and who is a rather difficult eater. She never seems to really enjoy her food although we have tried a large selection of things. Anyway, she recently got her paws of some of our cats food (the tinned kind) and she seemed to really like it so I added a bit to her dinner and she gulped it down in no time.

Is it ok to feed dogs cat food from time to time? I certainly would not replace her diet with it but from time to time can it do any harm?

Advice gratefully recieved.

Em.
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-07-2008, 11:36 AM
It's Ok for dogs to eat cat food, but not for cats to eat dog food. But only as extras, would not make it their main food as it contain to much protein.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2008, 12:50 PM
It's not great for dogs to eat cat food due to the high levels of protein, but i don't know of a dog that would turn it down if offered it!

Meka's cat food is dry complete food and her bowl is in the bottom of the airing cupboard. Tonks isn't allowed in there but whenever possible she sneeks in. On days when she hasn't wanted to eat i have let her see me taking a few pieces of cat food from Meka's bowl and adding it to Tonks' food. She gobbles her dinner down then!

If it means it will encourage your dog to eat then maybe just a couple of pieces to make the dinner smell better would be ok but i would really limit the ammount your dog has.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-07-2008, 12:59 PM
I had a dog that use to like our cats food, and when I mentioned it too our vet they said not to allow it as the protein levels are too high. So my cats are always fed up put of the dogs reach.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Might be worth mentioning that cat food (meat) can also cause dogs to have the runs.
emma-rose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks for your replies.

I have no intention of substituting her food with cat food all the time but it could be a useful 'tool' on the days when she is being really awkward. I must admit I was not aware of the difference of protein content, very interesting.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by emma-rose View Post
Thanks for your replies.

I have no intention of substituting her food with cat food all the time but it could be a useful 'tool' on the days when she is being really awkward. I must admit I was not aware of the difference of protein content, very interesting.
Yes apparantly cat poo is also high in protein, hence the disgusting little habbit some dogs have of eating it!
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Hi there

It is not good for dogs to eat cat food as it includes Taurine which cats need and dogs should not have as it becomes toxic. Cats do not eat unless their food smells appetising so it may well be that your dog needs a more appetising smell to the food.

Mum adds a tiny bit of tuna in oil or sardine in tomato sauce to our food when we are down and dont feel like eating.

Thalice-Malice
English Setter
Now eats anything
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2008, 05:29 AM
It is not good for dogs to eat cat food, the levels of protein are much higher in cat food, personally if you are experiencing difficulties I'd add Tuna to you little dogs food, or a small ammount of pilchards....something like that.....but no not cat food.
Also the problem with cat food, once you get your dog liking the taste it is very difficult to wean them off and you will find that you will be adding it all of the time.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Cat food doesn't do dogs any good. Have you tried putting your dog on a high meat content diet? Most dogs who are picky seem to enjoy a more natural diet. Commercial foods can contain as little as 4 per cent meat, and it's not the most appetising or digestible.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >