Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I think in real working sinarios such as farms time is always limited, many years ago there would be numerous farm hands, sadly today this is not the case, machines have taken over some of there work, but cash flow on farms is not what it once was, many farmers just cant justify the extra outgoing even though they could do with the help, so they do the work of two or more men, hence they have less time to spend on young dogs,

as to other area's of training, yes people are impatient, or lack in ability, so give up on dogs very quickly,
I know what you are saying Shona, but I think there is more use for a good sheepdog now than there ever was, simply *because*, of the lack of hired help. One good dog can take the place of ten men, and so if you are gathering over a large area, and don't have two or three others to help, you are in desperate need of a good dog that can do the job.

Also, decent sheepdogs go for BIG money these days, much more so than in the recent past, so it just shows there is a need for these type of dogs.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I think in real working sinarios such as farms time is always limited, many years ago there would be numerous farm hands, sadly today this is not the case, machines have taken over some of there work, but cash flow on farms is not what it once was, many farmers just cant justify the extra outgoing even though they could do with the help, so they do the work of two or more men, hence they have less time to spend on young dogs,

as to other area's of training, yes people are impatient, or lack in ability, so give up on dogs very quickly,
I see what you are saying about farmers being limited in time, and that is fair enough and totally understandable. I was referring more to police dogs, though i should have made that clearer

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Which forces still buy most pups from UK breeders?

I know a few forces have breeding programmes - the Met being the biggest and most successful, but I believe many others have had very hit and miss results and so have therefore resorted to buying pups from abroad.

Lancashire always used to buy from UK workline breeders, but have recently started to resort to buying all pups from abroad.

I agree that the amount of time put into a dog's training (as well as the experience of the handler involved) helps shape the end result. However, I do believe that if a dog has all the right stuff, it only takes an experienced, good handler to bring it out - however, if it isn't there to begin with no amount of training can put it there.
Tayside and Lothian and Borders are two that have young british dogs bought as pups from UK workline breeders. Also quite a few breeders claim to supply police/prison services with dogs, so someone must be buying lol. Though I have no doubt that some/many forces have resorted to buying pups from abroad - an expensive business!

I have recently seen a dog taken as a pup by a police service who has the right genetics, but through bad/no training was rejected as unsuitable, when in different hands could have made a good police dog, as there are several littermates which I understand are doing well.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 05:27 AM

I think a lot of modern working collies are being bred from trial dogs, which is all well and good - if these dogs can also work large flocks on hills at home, as well as 3 sheep on a trial field!
If this is happening then i would expect this to be the reason due to the lack of alrounders, plus the fact that with the quad bikes etc the dogs just dont have to do so much anymore.

A Question poser/discussion point:Are the Trials Dogs becoming another type of sports dog, away from the working Farm collie? In looks & ability & temperment? What is the % of farmers that actually want a trials dog? Are trials winners bred from other trials winners? Have trials changed from yesteryear demanding a different type of dog? (im not sure of these points hence asking?)
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 09:24 AM

I think a lot of modern working collies are being bred from trial dogs, which is all well and good - if these dogs can also work large flocks on hills at home, as well as 3 sheep on a trial field!
A fair number of police dogs are also from litters of successful schutzhund parents - a schutzhund dog may be great on the field, but not be able to manage life on the streets - as different drives/proportion of drives are required. A schutzhund dog can do very well working mainly or wholly from prey drive - I would imagine that a police dog needs more defence and fight drive - It needs to be more civil than a sports dog I would think.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by skilaki View Post
Tayside and Lothian and Borders are two that have young british dogs bought as pups from UK workline breeders. Also quite a few breeders claim to supply police/prison services with dogs, so someone must be buying lol. Though I have no doubt that some/many forces have resorted to buying pups from abroad - an expensive business!

I have recently seen a dog taken as a pup by a police service who has the right genetics, but through bad/no training was rejected as unsuitable, when in different hands could have made a good police dog, as there are several littermates which I understand are doing well.
There are plenty of breeders who [B]claim[B] to supply to the police and prison service ... claim being the operative word Although of course some forces do have some UK workline (and non workline) operational dogs, but it most certainly isn't as many these days as it once was.

I don't mean to be pedantic but how do you *know* this pup (with the right genetics) would make a good police dog in different hands? Just because littermates do well, doesn't automatically mean ALL the litter will work out. If it did, breeding excellent working dogs would be childsplay That said, I have seen a handler who just didn't get on with his trainee police dog on the initial course, and made all sorts of excuses about there being something wrong with the dog. The dog was given to a different, more experienced, handler and the dog passed the course with flying colours
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 11:46 AM
I don't mean to be pedantic but how do you *know* this pup (with the right genetics) would make a good police dog in different hands? Just because littermates do well, doesn't automatically mean ALL the litter will work out.
And isn't Tip such a good example of your point

Came from a line of working sheepdogs - Father was the best worker the farmer had ever had, mother solid worker. Tip seemed to have the working drive (from watching him herd Hoki) - I was convinced that he just hadn't had the right training.

Got him in front of some sheep and well my old cat showed more likelihood of being able to work the sheep
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
If this is happening then i would expect this to be the reason due to the lack of alrounders, plus the fact that with the quad bikes etc the dogs just dont have to do so much anymore.

A Question poser/discussion point:Are the Trials Dogs becoming another type of sports dog, away from the working Farm collie? In looks & ability & temperment? What is the % of farmers that actually want a trials dog? Are trials winners bred from other trials winners? Have trials changed from yesteryear demanding a different type of dog? (im not sure of these points hence asking?)
I think many of the trial dogs ARE becoming another type of sport dog, most typically the ones who are known as *Saturday afternoon dogs" - who aren't really used for *real* work at all anymore but are bred, trained and kept purely for trialling. IMO the very best dogs (and the ones who win big titles such as the International) are the dogs who ARE worked at home on large flocks as well as on 3 or 5 sheep on a trial field. In the modern world, there are less and less true working collies, and more hobby triallists, so it would make sense that collies are being bred more for winning trials than for work. A really great and outstanding dog is one who could win a trial but then come home and work large flocks in demanding terrain.

I don't think the trials dogs look different, but the average one certainly has less proper working ability (as it isn't called upon to work large flocks) and the temperament seems to be changing to produce an *easier* dog, who is less hardy.

Trials winners are certainly used widely at stud, and even though a good pedigree doesn't automatically produce another trials winner, the dogs that do win the larger trials tend to be very good allrounders, so you have a better chance of producing a dog that can work and trial.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by skilaki View Post
A fair number of police dogs are also from litters of successful schutzhund parents - a schutzhund dog may be great on the field, but not be able to manage life on the streets - as different drives/proportion of drives are required. A schutzhund dog can do very well working mainly or wholly from prey drive - I would imagine that a police dog needs more defence and fight drive - It needs to be more civil than a sports dog I would think.
Very, very true - and therefore the same principles apply to both police dogs and working sheepdogs.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
And isn't Tip such a good example of your point

Came from a line of working sheepdogs - Father was the best worker the farmer had ever had, mother solid worker. Tip seemed to have the working drive (from watching him herd Hoki) - I was convinced that he just hadn't had the right training.

Got him in front of some sheep and well my old cat showed more likelihood of being able to work the sheep
soooo true!
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 03:16 PM
There are plenty of breeders who [B]claim[B] to supply to the police and prison service ... claim being the operative word Although of course some forces do have some UK workline (and non workline) operational dogs, but it most certainly isn't as many these days as it once was.
Fair enough, I wasn't questioning that the number of UK bred police gsds has declined, but there are still a good number out there.

I don't mean to be pedantic but how do you *know* this pup (with the right genetics) would make a good police dog in different hands? Just because littermates do well, doesn't automatically mean ALL the litter will work out. If it did, breeding excellent working dogs would be childsplay That said, I have seen a handler who just didn't get on with his trainee police dog on the initial course, and made all sorts of excuses about there being something wrong with the dog. The dog was given to a different, more experienced, handler and the dog passed the course with flying colours
I don't *know* that the pup would have made a good police dog in different hands, that's why I said *could have* made it in different hands However this pup had been with the police dog handler for 18 months since a 7 week old pup, and in this time and without going into the details, seems to have learned next to nothing, not even very basic bite/prey work, the effort hadn't been put into him from what I could tell.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >