Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2006, 07:58 AM

Cold and Irritating cough....

Anyone got any advise for me please because me an OH are at the end of our tether.

1st Feb i went down with an awful cold, things didn't get any better so I went to see the doc. He told me I had a nasty chest infection, and prescribed 500mg antibiotics and an inhaler (which was a first for me )

It completely wiped me out, and I am still with this niggly irritating cough, we have both had this for a month now. Neither can sleep very well, as when you lay flat it all kicks off!

I went back to the doctor, who said my chest infection is better, but would not prescribe anymore medication.

So we are drinking cough mixture like tea!! The problem is until I get this under wraps I am unable to have my blood tests to ascertain the correct levels of thoroxine for my under active thyroid, which was diagnosed before Xmas.

Just a bit cheesed off with it all now, any advise please x
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2006, 08:42 AM
Best cough mixture for at night is Covonia Night Time" - it's superb - makes you drowsy and keeps you asleep. I recommend it to everyone - give it a try and good luck
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2006, 08:51 AM
Thanks Vicki, will give it a go x
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2006, 10:56 AM
I had the same in JANUARY still got this annoying tickly cough now, have tried everything, suppose I ought to go to the doctors and see if he can prescribe something.

Haven't tried the Covonia Night Time, is it ok to take if you're diabetic??
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-03-2006, 11:52 AM
Hi Harveys Mum Sorry you are not feeling well, once a virus has taken its toll on your immune system it takes a while to build up your defences again.

Although a cough can be annoying it is usually there for a reason, it's natures way of expressing and preventing a build up of mucous in the lungs following a virus infection and in a way a good thing.

Cough mixtures have been found to do very little and have a mainly placebo effect. Honey and lemon or any hot soothing drink is really just as good in that it keeps the throat moist, fruit pastilles are good for the same reason .

It has also been found that eating foods high in vitamin C can shorten colds and help the body to repair itself faster. So the best treatment is to eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables particularly those high in vitamin C like citrus fruits and Kiwi fruit. Also try not to get overtired, a body repairs itself better with rest.

You may find it esaier to sleep if you have an extra pillow and sleep slightly propped up, also have a bath or shower before bed, the steam will help to moisten and sooth the nasal passages.

Hope you are better soon.
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-03-2006, 08:08 PM
I agree with Mini...I work at the quacks and we are inundated with this virus at the moment ( OH had it about 3 weeks ago and still has the cough ) try putting a pillow under the mattress to lift your head and take a drink to bed -something sweet tasting (makes more saliva) to coat your throat
hope you feel better soon , I know how knackered I've been listening to him coughing .........so Stereo must be horrendous
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2006, 08:55 PM
Onions, in all shapes and forms is an old remedy for colds. But there are alternatives - I had a bad cold last week and as I was too lazy to make onion soup I went for the next best thing - Vie shots - concentrated fruit & veg, packed with vitamin C - the day after I drank 3 Vie's and ate a banana, the cold had gone!
Honey for coughs - works for dogs, too!
willow_pheonix
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-03-2006, 08:57 AM
try some eucalyptus and lavender oils in a burner and drink pineapple juice, loads of it, it's very high in vit. c and is a natural antiseptic. For a sore throat, glycerin - swallow a teaspoon , it coats the throat lubricating it. The glycerin may feel hot when you swallow but thats normal. Garlic also helps fight colds along with zinc and if your immune system is suppressed try echanacia (sp). Thyme tea also steep 2 teaspoons of dried thyme in boiling water for 10 mins then strain, you can add honey to sweeten it if wanted. Any more help just ask lol i'm allergic to most conventional medicines so i have to use alternative stuff
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2006, 09:06 AM
Thanks all, I felt awful yesterday and spent the best part of the day in bed, did get some Covonia and it certainly helped me sleep. (thanks Vicki)

This morning I have got the runny nose, hacking cough and pains across my back again... I have tried everything to beat this persistant virus, we will get there....
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2006, 02:45 PM
So sorry you are still feeling rough. I think there has been a particularly bad virus going round this winter and a hell of a lot of people have suffered these symptoms and they seem to go on forever. Try to drink plenty of water to flush out the system and I agree with Mini cough mixtures dont really do a lot, except for the ones that help you to sleep they dont actually get rid of the cough. I would try putting obas oil on a tissue inside your pillow case, helps you the breath and clears the head. Eat lots of healthy food.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >