Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
I don't think so, This idea that you need a relationship to train is simply a reworking of the old pack leader stuff with nicer semantics.

Recall is a learned response. I can take a dog that I have never met/worked with and have it recalling (from distractions) reliably within a few hours of training!

I don't require any sort of relationship with the dog, I just need to know what motivates the dog and take it from there.

As Jean Donaldson say ''some of the most complex animal training is done when there is very little bond between animal and handler''

Adam
no, you need a relationship to live with the dog! that combined with training they go hand in hand..if u dont want any of that then a living breathing creature should not be had..get a stuffed toy!!

and stop kidding yourself u are training the dogs adam... take your tools away and what do u have?... i actually feel sorry for u.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-02-2011, 12:56 PM
We're not talking about living together though are we.

We're talking about simple bit of training.

Adam
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 01:00 PM
We're not talking about living together though are we.

We're talking about simple bit of training.

Adam
you dont train.. simples!

erm... generally most people live with their dogs
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Its about recall not behaviour in the home. Of course if their is a problem in the home that can also be addressed.

Define training.

I view it as putting behaviours on cue, so that when you cue them they occur reliably.

This is what I do.

Adam
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Out of curiosity, would you/how would you train a dog who lacks confidence or has a low pain threshold to recall Adam? My old greyhound meets both of those criteria and I can't imagine him doing anything but going into a blind panic or shutting down if he had any aversive techniques used on him...
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-02-2011, 01:37 PM
I'd just use the e collar.

They are adjustable so high sensitivity isn't an issue ect.

Once the dog realised that his behaviour controls the stim from the collar his confidence will go up anyway.

Adam
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 01:44 PM
I fear you underestimate his wimpiness, he'll squeal at the slightest thing but thanks for the insight. I'll be sticking with my sassy 'I'll-come-back-if-you-gimme-some-chicken' method though
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Cant be bothered to read the entire thread. A few bits relevent to me.

1. I DO use food/toys/clicker/OC
2. I ALWAYS teach the required behaviour FIRST
3. I will use a "no" "ahhahh" to mark the bad behaviour ONCE the correct behaviour has been taught, to "mark" the undesired behaviour before i ask for the redirection to the behaviour i want.
4. i may use a rattle bottle IF required, i Will use a long line,i will use head collars, i Will use a slip lead.Before i use all these methods the dog will no the required behaviour & after use the dog will always be redirected to the required behaviour instantly so it can be praised rewarded.

eg slip lead. Dog has already been taught llw, & knows "with me" "this way" "Back" but its habit is such that it needs abit more (maybe due to the abilites of its owners) in which case on the " back i will introduce a touch on the slip lead, followed by completly released with praise.

eg with Long line. Name response behaviour taught & proofed, but dog still needs help at a distance, i will stand on line as i say name as we walk, just to back up the name response & to give the dog a idea about you still have control at a distance.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Depends how you train, like I said I don't see why it should take for ever/never be achieved.

I'd have her (or any dog) off in the first few weeks (high distractions)

Adam
You'd have them scared to do anything.

And I thought it only took ONE time Adam. Now it takes a few weeks? Hmmmm...me thinks you know...let me think...um...NOTHING.

As always. Why don't you just shut up? Seriously.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 02:45 PM
I'd just use the e collar.

They are adjustable so high sensitivity isn't an issue ect.

Once the dog realised that his behaviour controls the stim from the collar his confidence will go up anyway.

Adam
It's the trainer's behaviour that controls the stim. It's the trainer that controls the intensity and when it is applied. It's the trainer who will gain confidence in pushing the button.

All the dog will gain is discomfort and pain until it has worked out through trial and error what makes the trainer stop pushing the damned button.

Suggestion for you Adam. Find out where your nearest Deaf Club is and go along to the next get together. They all welcome hearing people going along. Go in there and see how much you understand of what is going on. Then try playing a game of bingo with them. Something you already know how to do, but see how much more difficult it is to play the game without number calling in the way you know. Once you've done this, you might just have a tiny idea of the difficulty dogs have in understanding what we want from them. Then reflect a while and see if you still think it fair to punish dogs for not understanding our requests for them to do things that they truly find incomprehensible until they are guided and taught 'how to play our game'.
Page 20 of 38 « First < 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 30 > Last »