View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2005, 06:21 PM

when does it become a puppy farm? (breeders keeping multiple breeds)

how many of you think the same as me when there are adverts in the paper saying that they have 5-6 different breeds of pups for sale I automaticly think oh! god! a puppy farm am I wrong
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-02-2005, 06:21 PM
I would not get a pup from a place like that
CBT
Dogsey Senior

24-02-2005, 06:47 PM
a puppy farm is somewhere dogs are overbred and kept in cramped, dark, unsanitary and unsuitable conditions with no proper food, water, care, exercise, bedding and other basic needs.

a puppy farmer is someone who doesnt care about their dogs, they only care about money.

Breeding several different breeds is not always a sign of a puppy farmer, but it can be. If youre looking for a puppy and you see a multiple breed advert it pays to ask whether or not they have a breeders license, if the parents are available for viewing and whether or not the parents have been health tested.

I bought a dog years ago from a woman who ran kennels and she bred 5 different breeds, her kennels were immaculate, all her dogs in tip top condition, and hardly a poo in any of the runs, we were allowed to walk round and view all the dogs, not just the ones for sale.

Several breeds does not automatically = puppy farm, it just means you need to be 100% more cautious than you would with a single breed breeder
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2005, 07:05 PM
maybe it,s just me then but if you have several breeds are you not just breeding to demand or fashion
minty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-02-2005, 07:09 PM
I personally believe that anybody mass producing dogs no matter how much care they take looking after their stock is puppy farming at the end of the day it is run for profit and that means produce as cheap as you can and sell as dear as you can
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2005, 08:15 PM
I agree with you minty at the end of the day they probably care for them because if there was anything wrong with the dogs they would not sell its a money thing
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2005, 08:17 PM
a puppy farm is somewhere dogs are overbred and kept in cramped, dark, unsanitary and unsuitable conditions with no proper food, water, care, exercise, bedding and other basic needs
what about those that arent in cramped dark conditions but are bred after every season?
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2005, 08:18 PM
I think theres a difference between breeding different breeds occasionally and having litters available from multiple breeds at the same time.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2005, 11:02 AM
LEL:
what about those that arent in cramped dark conditions but are bred after every season? [/quote]

i used to think that was a terrible thing, but now i am not so sure. in the wild the female dog will be insemianted by the male (normally only the top dogs in the pack) at every season. This isnt a bad thing at all, and if there isnt enough food, the pregnancy will abort natuarlly. the females also dont have seasons as long (i mean in years) as our domestic dogs (having doggy menopause alot younger).

So if the female is in good condition there is no health risk invloved in breeding every season (some females love to be pregnant). In saying that i disagree with breeding full stop, and dont know why anyone would want to keep breeding and breeding from the same female, if not ony for money.
CBT
Dogsey Senior

25-02-2005, 11:19 AM
If it was cruel to breed a bitch once a year every year for 6 years in a row, would the breeding laws and the KC really allow it?
Surely they would drop it to 4? or even 3?

The cruelty lies in breeding bitches on consecutive seasons if she is in poor condition, or she has had a particularly difficult previous whelping.

What about women who pump out child after child with very few gaps in between, theres plenty of them on the go!! lol lol I came from a family of 6 and I know quite a few people who have had large families, I know a woman who has 7 kids and she wants more!! Does having offspring on a regular basis really do damage if the mother concerned, (human, dog, or any animal in fact ) is in excellent health??

Im very sceptical about this one. I can provide experience and facts to back up my feelings on this matter, but no doubt if I did I would be called cruel and money grabbing and evil blah blah blah blah etc etc etc so I wont bother , suffice to say I know for a fact that if a bitch is properly cared for and fed a high quality diet and kept in excellent conditions catering both for her physical and mental wellbeing, then she is easily capable of producing 5 or 6 litters in a lifetime, with no detrimental effects, and I am not the only person who thinks so, but then we are talking working dogs which are kept very fit and mentally stimulated, not pet dogs, I believe there is a great difference there too.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »