Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2009, 01:36 PM

Dog walker

could i have some advice please, i have a dog walker who we have had for around a year, and does dog walking as a profession, i havent really had a problem with her but something is just niggling me. She has around 6 dogs of her own and takes them as well as my 2 and others out at the same time, she has a big van and they all go in the back together not strapped in or in a crate or anything. I dont think she is insured so how to we stand if any accidents happened, i dont want to upset her by changing to another dog walker but im concerned for the safety of my dogs and have heard rather unpleasing comments about her from reputable dog walking companies.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 01:39 PM
I would check on the insurance thing. It would be something that worried me. Also the traveling - I would want to know that the dogs were safe was anything to happen in tranist.
ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Hmmmm well everyone does things differently but....

Im just starting out and have just sent off my insurance premium, it was one of the first things i looked into. Heaven forbid should something happen I would want the comfort of insurance. Although they will only insure to walk up to 6 dogs at a time so 8 would not be covered.

Although I am insured for 6 at a time......I dont even walk all my 6 in one go alone....I prefer a maximum of 4 preferably 3.

Also to have the dogs ratteling round would concern me, in the case of an accident or an argument breaking out.

If something does happen, she has no one to claim from, so if you sued/wanted to claim for vets fees etc then it would be from her personally, I dont know how you would get on with that.
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Please excuse me for butting in on this, but as from yesterday, I have a dog walker for my boxer 3 times a week, its only Coco that goes with her, and between getting to and from the beach she is gone 1 and half hours, what is the rate in the UK? I am in Ireland but it would be similar I think, just interested!!
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Hi
hope you dont mind me mentioning it but remember your other post about your rescue dog being stressed. I personally think this may have something to do with it. Although i am not there obviously so wouldnt know for sure.
But if she is being rattled around in a van with a lot of other dogs and a human that doesnt give much inter-action (she cant really with 6 dogs at a time) she will not be a happy doglet IMO.

I would find someone else if i were you that can give your girl more 1 to 1 attention.
You are paying so you should have a service you and your dog are happy with x
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 02:25 PM
I'd find someone else. 8 dogs is just too much for one person, even if 6 are her own. The no insurance/security in the van would also bother me.

You don't need to tell her why you are letting her go. Just be vague; say you are cutting back on costs and unfortunately cannot afford to employ her.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 02:31 PM
I definitely wouldn't let my dogs go around in a van, rattling all over the place. She should have crates or something. Mind you, with all those dogs, she wouldn't fit the crates in but that means safety is compromised. I'd find someone else, if it were me. Personally, I would tell her why I'm changing, so that it gives her a chance to change the way she does things, or not if she doesn't value regular business. It would be up to her though, wouldn't it.
madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 02:41 PM
I would definately be worried about the no insurance - i've been a dog walker for 4 years and as Alexa said the insurance was the first thing i put in place before i even advertised.

When she first visited you ideally she should have brought with her a contract/form for you to read detailing terms and conditions such as wether you want your dog to be kept on lead or walked with other dogs etc and space for you to give vets and emergency contact details then your signature to say you are happy with her terms.

To me 8 dogs is too many for one person to walk my insurance covers me for up to 4 but i only take one owners dogs at a time (as i like to give them plenty of attention )and my own dog with the other owners permisson of course, you have to be happy with the person you are entrusting your dog to so if you're not happy look for someone else, ask at your vets they may be able to reccomend someone.
AlannaJohan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-04-2009, 02:58 PM
On top of agreeing with everything already said above, I think if something is niggling you then it's time to move on. There's nothing worse than ignoring gut feelings, I think, as should something happen it'd be a big point of regret. I don't mean to be alarmist or anything like that, it's just your obviously uncomfortable with something, consciously or otherwise, and I think the wisest thing would be to listen to yourself - after all, you're in the situation and you know your dogs.
As suggested, I would keep it brief, perhaps tell her you've found out that the individual insurance you have on your dogs won't cover them if your dog walker isn't insured also, and so you're going to have to move elsewhere. Good luck!
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Thanks for your help on this subject everyone, just one other point i would like to mention, my eldest dog is 7 and whenver the dog walker comes for him he hides from her and when he eventually gets into her van he cowers in a corner, do u think that he is frightened of her as he doesnt do this with anyone else like my dad who walks him sometimes he cant wait to go out.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >