Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 11:52 AM

Breeder problem

My next door neighbour has just got a Bichon Frise a couple of days ago. She went to the vets yesturday and found out that she has a hernia and that she cannot breed her. She didnt buy the dog to breed but its still a shock. She has an overshot jaw, which the vet said may have happened in the last couple of days, i dont understand this as dogs are usually born with this arnt they? Maybe they get more prominant when they grow but im sure they are born with it. Also there may be a problem with the dogs tear duct. Its not secreting a lot of tears. Also the vet went upstairs to give the first injection. She said that a nurse needed to hold her incase she jerked away . Now i know that this is not commen practise. When the vet brought her down she mentioned the hernia. Maybe she needed to seek help off another vet but she should have at least told her what she was doing.

Now she has to be spayed and during the op she is going to get the hernia removed as well. It doesnt seem to be bothering Milly, but its not the point. Im pretty annoyed at the breeder who sold her the dog. So when i went around last night i told her that she should ring the breeder, and in my opinion they should pay for the spaying and the removal of the hernia.

Well i seen her this morning and she said she had rang the breeder. Apparently the breeder knew about the jaw problem but didnt say anything. Also she said that because she has a hernia where unbilical cord was doesnt mean that the dog cant have puppies. She said if you keep pushing it in, it will stay there after a while. Ive told her not to do this as she could prob do more damage to the dog than good. The breeder did sound intrested and said that when she goes to the vet next to call her and see what the vet said. But she did not offer any money to rectify the situation.

p.s when i say the breeder, i dont mean the proper breeder. The person who did the studding got the pick of the litter and then sold her to my next door neighbour.
pinklizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-04-2009, 12:22 PM
If the hernial is umbilical then it's likely to have been present from birth and she should actually keep an eye on it and ensure that it can be gently 'reduced' or replaced on a daily basis. Hernias can cause problems if abdominal fat or a loop of bowel becomes ' caught' in the defect in the muscle wall. It's quite common for them to be repaired during a spay-the incision is just extended to include the umbilicus, and shouldn't add to much to the cost of the procedure.If the puppy wasn't purchased with the intention to breed, surely she would be having her spayed anyway? The overshot jaw should be monitored as she grows as some dogs may need dental surgery if it causes a misallignment of the adult teeth but in most cases is just cosmetic.
Bichons as a breed are prone to problems with the tearduct, this can be managed by using artificial 'replacement' tears on a daily basis.
Has your neighbour been able to get the details of the 'proper' breeder to contact them?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by valandra View Post
My next door neighbour has just got a Bichon Frise a couple of days ago. She went to the vets yesturday and found out that she has a hernia and that she cannot breed her. She didnt buy the dog to breed but its still a shock. She has an overshot jaw, which the vet said may have happened in the last couple of days, i dont understand this as dogs are usually born with this arnt they? Maybe they get more prominant when they grow but im sure they are born with it. Also there may be a problem with the dogs tear duct. Its not secreting a lot of tears. Also the vet went upstairs to give the first injection. She said that a nurse needed to hold her incase she jerked away . Now i know that this is not commen practise. When the vet brought her down she mentioned the hernia. Maybe she needed to seek help off another vet but she should have at least told her what she was doing.

Now she has to be spayed and during the op she is going to get the hernia removed as well. It doesnt seem to be bothering Milly, but its not the point. Im pretty annoyed at the breeder who sold her the dog. So when i went around last night i told her that she should ring the breeder, and in my opinion they should pay for the spaying and the removal of the hernia.

Well i seen her this morning and she said she had rang the breeder. Apparently the breeder knew about the jaw problem but didnt say anything. Also she said that because she has a hernia where unbilical cord was doesnt mean that the dog cant have puppies. She said if you keep pushing it in, it will stay there after a while. Ive told her not to do this as she could prob do more damage to the dog than good. The breeder did sound intrested and said that when she goes to the vet next to call her and see what the vet said. But she did not offer any money to rectify the situation.

p.s when i say the breeder, i dont mean the proper breeder. The person who did the studding got the pick of the litter and then sold her to my next door neighbour.
My new puppy has a hernia, and the vet said I could push it in, which we did, but it never stayed there, and it never bothers her, and they are going to deal with this when we get her speyed. The only problems it could cause is as pinklizzy says, the gut getting trapped, and that's why I DON'T push hers back, I've just left it. My breeder (a very reputable one at that) showed me a hernia on one of her older dogs she had which she had never had removed and it never caused any problems, and tbh I think these are quite common aren't they? It really didn't bother me when I went to buy my puppy from her, but of course, she was totally up front about it at the time, and I don't think I can breed from mine either, but not because the hernia won't let her, but because of the ethics of the original breeder, she doesn't want her puppies bred from coz SHE is the breeder of this line which is quite understandable, just like another clause I have in my contract, the fact that I am not allowed to take her abroad?
I can't think of any suggestions, but just wanted to tell you about mine that's all, but good luck.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Sounds like the breeder chose not to advise the buyer on the dogs faults and that is morally and ethically wrong. It also means that your neighbour has a good chance of getting some money back if the jaw problem doesn't resolve itself.
As to the hernia then I wouldn't keep pushing it back nor breed from the dog. A hernia is caused by the umbilical ring failing to close shortly after birth. It is very rare that it will 'get better' and is believed to be a genetic fault in most cases. The size of the hernia will vary and if it is a very small one then I wouldn't worry too much but if the dog is to be spayed in any event then having the hernia corrected can be done quite easily at the same time.
Becky
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 01:29 PM
My last shepherd had a hernia and it was dealt with when she was speyed.

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I don't think I can breed from mine either, but not because the hernia won't let her, but because of the ethics of the original breeder, she doesn't want her puppies bred from coz SHE is the breeder of this line which is quite understandable, just like another clause I have in my contract, the fact that I am not allowed to take her abroad?
I have also signed a contract with Tala's breeder. However, I now understand that these contracts are not enforceable in law and therefore meaningless.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
I have also signed a contract with Tala's breeder. However, I now understand that these contracts are not enforceable in law and therefore meaningless.
slightly off topic but they are not known to be enforceable until such time as they are tested in court. However, one thing is certain if the registration is endorsed and you have signed to say you were aware then the KC wont lift them.

Becky
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
slightly off topic but they are not known to be enforceable until such time as they are tested in court. However, one thing is certain if the registration is endorsed and you have signed to say you were aware then the KC wont lift them.

Becky
I believe they have been tested in court and found to be unenforceable. After the asking price is paid the dog becomes the property of the owner and therefore hers to do with as she wishes!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 02:28 PM
I've known of cases where they have been enforced! So each contract needs to be tested in court to see if it is, indeed, enforceable lol!
Becky
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Trip had a hernia when I took her on (at 11 months) I decided to have it removed when she was speyed - but it was Huge! Added quite a lot to the op unfortunately!

Originally Posted by talassie View Post
I believe they have been tested in court and found to be unenforceable. After the asking price is paid the dog becomes the property of the owner and therefore hers to do with as she wishes!
I know it has been tested about 'Donations' to rescues - I would assume the same holds true about contracts with breeders.
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 03:08 PM
So really by what everyone is saying, the overshot jaw may be a bigger problem than the hernia. Ive never knows dogs to have hernias and was quite worried. Im going to have to tell her to ask how much it will cost for the op and hernia removal.

Im really glad that she is not alone in this matter. As i said she didnt want to breed her but i really think the breeder should have informed us of this. Im going to push it for her to give her some money towards the op. The breeder is on the KC register so im sure she could contact the realy breeders. May tell her to do that tbh, see what they say
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >