Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2007, 09:27 PM
That's lovely Helena!
(No my garden isn't the same as yours lol)

What I would say though is.....
1. where your bamboos are near the fence I would remove the turf behind them as it will be a wotsit to mow round them otherwise. Perhaps mulch with ornamental stones?... or plant some daffodils in amongst the base of the trees/bamboos (you could lift the turf before it is established and slip them in) so they naturalise. They'd look gorgeous come springtime.

2. We had an Acer very similar to your and it hated the wind. Leaves were always going brown due to the wind, plus it was right where the dogs rushed past to go down the garden, so it died. Keep an eye on yours as it is beautiful.

3. Do we have to take our shoes off to walk on the stepping stones a la Bucket
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2007, 09:33 PM
Really stunning,love the acer it looks gorgeous I'm soooooo envious I'll just have to get the whip out and get my OH to transform mines. It's like a builders yard out the back garden,mind you he's trying to get a garage built,guess I'll just have to be patient.xxxxxxxxxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by boobah View Post
Really stunning,love the acer it looks gorgeous I'm soooooo envious I'll just have to get the whip out and get my OH to transform mines. It's like a builders yard out the back garden,mind you he's trying to get a garage built,guess I'll just have to be patient.xxxxxxxxxx
Thanks Boobah, but don't forget what mine was like, worse than a builder's site (I've got that bit around the back, but that's next in line!) This was a complete nightmare of a jungle, and quite honestly over 20 years I just couldn't keep up with it, physically or emotionally, I couldn't be a**ed!!!!!

Originally Posted by beckyc View Post
That's lovely Helena!
(No my garden isn't the same as yours lol)

What I would say though is.....
1. where your bamboos are near the fence I would remove the turf behind them as it will be a wotsit to mow round them otherwise. Perhaps mulch with ornamental stones?... or plant some daffodils in amongst the base of the trees/bamboos (you could lift the turf before it is established and slip them in) so they naturalise. They'd look gorgeous come springtime.

2. We had an Acer very similar to your and it hated the wind. Leaves were always going brown due to the wind, plus it was right where the dogs rushed past to go down the garden, so it died. Keep an eye on yours as it is beautiful.

3. Do we have to take our shoes off to walk on the stepping stones a la Bucket
Thanks Becky I didn't plant those ones, but you're right, they should have made a wider hole like I did with the trees, and I did circles, they did squares Needless to say I'll be going out there to rectify all their mistakes when they've finished and gone!

Lol yes, you would have to take your shoes off like you do indoors here but quite honestly, they're not for actually treading on, they're more for show really!!!!!!! Is that worse than Hyacinth then???!!!!! Next thing, I'll be sticking up a sign "no dogs allowed"!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Looks cracking, Aitch. It's coming along really nicely isn't it?
Thanks Vicki, yes you were right, not only am I an interior designer (of sorts!) but also a landscape garden designer, but without the hard work to make it look the way I want!!!

Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Ooooh it looks lovely Helena.
Thanks Lynn, I can't wait till it's finished it's dragging on a bit now!!!

Sorry the above is all a*se about face, but you know me, I did it all wrong, I'm not used to this multi-quote business yet!!!!

Now, today's progress is, the stepping stones have been meticulously positioned by moi (with the poor lad moving them around at my beck and call!!!) They're being cemented into the turf. If the rain keeps off, he'll finish the pointing on the patio steps, and do you know, I think we're almost there! Georgie can have his garden back!!!!!!

Oh and the bird feeders look fantastic in the corner with the stone bird bath inbetween, BUT, he broke the blooming bird bath, so he's going to stick it back together at home and put it in tomorrow!

The olive tree (freebie!!!) looks great at the head of dear Cassie's grave, and I notice a new pink rose has appeared since yesterday too! Awww, bless her, she's done that specially for me!!!

I've set out the bird feeders, just waiting for the bath to be erected whenit's fixed of course!

CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 02:05 PM
Your garden looks amazing H, the stepping stones really set it of beautifully and oh dear, poor Cassies grave, it brought a tear to my eye .
Can I just ask a question about the bird feeder, I've been looking at getting a bird table, but don't want to get one that will easily tip over in the wind, and have been looking at those, do they just push straight into the ground or do they have a base, thanks
Christine
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Thanks Christine, it's looking better every day now isn't it!!! Can't wait for the finale!!!!!

Yes, these bird stations are fantastic! Much better than a table I think, because those tables need forever cleaning, more stuff gets thrown on the floor, especially when the squirrels come for dinner This way, you can have such a variety out there for them too! I've got fat balls, niger seeds, sunflower seed, songbird mix (which apparently they actually fight over!!!)plus the peanuts and crushed peanuts for when the babies come! So all in all I think these are a much better idea. You put them together yourself, just slot one pole into another (3 I think in one and 2 in the other lower one) and at the bottom is a point, which we just hammered into the soil and they're solid as a rock!

As soon as I put them out there, down came the little robin to suss it all out, and he tucked into the songbird food and went off to spread the word that the cafe is open again on the High street! I love my little birdies in the garden, and I'm hoping I haven't lost them since I haven't been feeding what with everything that's been going on outside, so finger's crossed that robin did his job.

I've just spent an hour out there cutting the rounds in the turf at the bottom of the trees and filling it with bark. He said not to use stones or gravel coz they get too mucky, but I really wanted pebbles - Imight get my own way though when he's gone! I've also filled some patio planters, but put the wrong plants in , but they'll just have to stay that way coz I've had enough of gardening this week now!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-10-2007, 06:59 PM
Lookin' good Helen!!! I like the circles around the bamboos and will give you a soil surface to feed em' too.The stepping stones really set the lawn off and Cassies place will always be special no matter what.

Looking at your trimmed conifers-Privot would be alright to fill in the gaps cause they'll withstand dry soil.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 07:14 PM
Thanks Steve, it sure is isn't it!!! I've cut the big circles out of the turf around all the trees now and put bark on top after a circle of that membrane stuff. I've kept a small gap though at the tree itself, hope that's right? Apparently you don't mulch until end of Spring, so I haven't done that. Yes, never thought of some privet inbetween those conifers. He's mulched it all along there with the sleepers, and I was thinking of putting some things in pots, some of the things you mentioned before maybe?

Check out that olive tree now though Steve???!!!! Ayyyy, that was a real steal wasn't it at that price!!!!!! The gardener reckons it's quite a few years old too being that size? I dread to think what Mrs. Wotshername paid for that !!!!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-10-2007, 07:32 PM
The olive tree looks fantastic Helen and the price was excellent..! Olive trees are very popular round here cause im forever seeing them netted to stop the birdies eating em'.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Looking absolutely fab Aitch. Can't wait to see it finished. Bless wonderful Cassie for bringing you a rose. xx
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 09:18 PM
It looks beautiful Helena!
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >