register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What do you think of the Grand National?
I think it should stay but changes need to be made 70 56.45%
I think it should stay with no changes 8 6.45%
I bet on it 16 12.90%
I don't bet on it 29 23.39%
I don't care one way or the other. 1 0.81%
I think it should be abolished 43 34.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 14 of 29 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 > Last »
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Its an acceptable risk to me. The dogs are performing tricks for their owners, they are not bred solely for that use, or are they now?

When dog agility gains the recognition that the GN has, I may rethink my position on that. Of course the slippy floor thing doesnt occur outside.
Thankyou for replying
I am trying to understand your position here but Im struggling

You think its an OK risk for the horse because that is the whole point of its life? So (not that I agree with them) what about the dogs doing agility at crufts who were bred as sports dogs, not pets? It does happen, kennels of agility dogs who are rehomed once they are no use, thankfully it is not a majority but it exists - so is that better?

and you would like agility if it was more popular? That seems a little odd to me - if something is cruel in your eyes isnt it cruel even if loads of people like it?

and dogs slip far more on wet grass, playing agility or in real life - infact the other day I had to jump over my dogs as they slid past me in a tangle of high speed wrestling
But why is a horse pretty much landing on its head and dying less of a big deal than a couple of dogs who slipped without hurting themselves?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
No, please do spell it out to me. What is wrong with the way I post?

Oh and 3419 so ner ner ne ner ner
i just explained which posts and why

well done on your points.

we aint so unpopular after all
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Guide dogs have a re-homing policy for all their dogs that don't make the grade, I forget the name of the initiative. They go to homes as companion, buddy dogs.
Pidge, get your facts straight before you post. Buddy dogs is a new initiative that is only just being rolled out and IMO
has many flaws. It isn't suitable for all failed dogs.

Many dogs fail or retire on health grounds
or with behavioural issues. Others are retired. The homes are checked but very little follow up is done.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Why is racing worth the risk to a horses life?
sums it up in a nutshell to me.

Originally Posted by rune View Post
YOU accept the risks involved????

It isn't your risk to accept!

rune
too true

Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I actually like Krusewalker and have never considered him to be an unpopular member of Dogsey, maybe I missed something (after all, I dont read the majority of threads!)
many thanks
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Pidge, get your facts straight before you post. Buddy dogs is a new initiative that is only just being rolled out and IMO
has many flaws. It isn't suitable for all failed dogs.

Many dogs fail or retire on health grounds
or with behavioural issues. Others are retired. The homes are checked but very little follow up is done.
Such a nasty tone and completely un-warranted.

Yes, I know about the flaws. I didn't know it was such a new thing. My understanding was that their policies were to re-home whenever a dog does not make the grade, which can and does happen. Behaviour issues are down to the breeding in the first instance but sometimes cannot be helped.

The welfare of the animal is not even remotely comparable to risking it's life at the hands of sport. Which is the main point I was trying to make.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Such a nasty tone and completely un-warranted.

Yes, I know about the flaws. I didn't know it was such a new thing. My understanding was that their policies were to re-home whenever a dog does not make the grade, which can and does happen. Behaviour issues are down to the breeding in the first instance but sometimes cannot be helped.

The welfare of the animal is not even remotely comparable to risking it's life at the hands of sport. Which is the main point I was trying to make.
Perhaps my tone Pidge is reflective of your own.
Why are
The behavioural issues to do with breeding? Do you have any stats or evidence for that as I would love to read it if you do? I suspect Guide Dogs would love to see it too.
I could go on but I won't.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
So are you saying that EVERY single person who made a bet and won some money on the GN or a dog race is despicable??
No. I was on about the owners/people who race/use/abuse them.

That doesn't mean those that bet on them should have a clear conscience, though.

Oh I see, they are "noble" in their use, come on Azz.
Yes, saving someone's life _is_ noble. And yes it sounds like you are clutching at straws - it's absurd that you are even comparing the two, tbh

Im not clutching at anything, I love racing it doesnt matter what you or anyone else says to me, I love it and thats it. I accept the risks involved and Im satisfied that the horses receive every care they require at all times.
I thought you were a stalwart of the animal world - shame I was wrong
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 09:00 PM
There are risks in everything we do. You risk your dog every day when you take him out, so do I. Difference is, the dog you have is a pet, a family companion, not an animal bred and trained to race.
Oh, that old gem again

My dog needs to go out. He needs to get exercise and he needs to get stimulation. A horse doesnt need to race so IMO your point is irrelevant.

Also, I dont get your point about my dog being a pet and not bred and trained to race, whats the relevance? That the risk is ok for racehorses coz thats what they are bred for??...

Is the whole 'life always has risks' your only answer to why it is worth risking a horses life?

Same as I just said, your dog is a family pet. Yes I think your stupidity could have led to an injured dog, but a Horse trainer wouldnt be so silly as to do that would he? So comparable, dont think so pidge.
I dont get your point here either, again why does it matter if they are a pet?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Thankyou for replying
I am trying to understand your position here but Im struggling

You think its an OK risk for the horse because that is the whole point of its life? So (not that I agree with them) what about the dogs doing agility at crufts who were bred as sports dogs, not pets? It does happen, kennels of agility dogs who are rehomed once they are no use, thankfully it is not a majority but it exists - so is that better?

and you would like agility if it was more popular? That seems a little odd to me - if something is cruel in your eyes isnt it cruel even if loads of people like it?

and dogs slip far more on wet grass, playing agility or in real life - infact the other day I had to jump over my dogs as they slid past me in a tangle of high speed wrestling
But why is a horse pretty much landing on its head and dying less of a big deal than a couple of dogs who slipped without hurting themselves?
I dont class a horse as a pet animal, I dont see the relevance. If I decided to take my horse and race it, Id accept the risks associated with it. Like I do with working the Terriers, in essence its what they were bred for.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Yes, saving someone's life _is_ noble. And yes it sounds like you are clutching at straws - it's absurd that you are even comparing the two, tbh
Guide and assistance dogs dont save lives Azz, I cant imagine why you would think that? They allow people more freedom and allow other people more time for themselves, nothing more. Some alert dogs may save lives I grant you, but even then they are an "extra" such people are rarely alone anyway.

Whichever way you look at it, they were bred to do a job, serve a purpose for humans, and many, will be got rid of, rehomed or whatever once their usefulness is over.

I thought you were a stalwart of the animal world - shame I was wrong
I dont think its a shame, I think you have every right to your opinion, Im cool with that.
Page 14 of 29 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 > Last »