Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-12-2009, 05:09 PM

Encouraging puppy to speak

Hi all, Pearl my Great Dane puppy is now 14weeks old and a right little madam, such a lovely puppy. However she is very vocal and has a right little bark. Anyway i have been teaching her the command speak as she does it naturally. to the point when i say it she will bark. Is this a silly idea which i should stop?
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Hi,

No it's not a silly idea at all and why on earth should you stop? I think it's lovely when our dogs "talk" to us but you may like to consider also teaching a command to be quiet too. Otherwise you may find that when she's a "teenager" she could have far too much to say for herself and will always have the last word, so to speak.

Of all my dogs, only Yiannis talks. It's not a bark, nor growl, nor mumble, nor grumble etc. But if there's someone I'm talking to on the end of the phone, to them he sounds like a cow mooing! Curiouser and curiouser!!

After talking to a friend of mine a few nights ago I've found out about someone else I know who has a GSD which brays like a donkey. Maybe he and Yiannis should get together for a duet?!

Laura xx

Laura xx
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2009, 05:16 PM
I live in a semi-detached house and I don't encourage any sort of barking at all. The dogs bark at the front door which is good and if they are disturbed at night by noise from outside which is superb. Other than that they don't make any noise which saves me stressing about upsetting the neighbours.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-12-2009, 06:37 PM
I don't think it's silly but to be on the safe side you could her Quiet too

Ali
Starhope
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-12-2009, 08:07 PM
I agree with Ali, its not a bad idea especially if she is soooo vocal, but defo teach her the quiet command too and then you are in control of when she barks and when she is quiet