Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-11-2008, 03:27 AM

peanut butter

Has anyone had any difficulty feeding peanut butter to their dogs?We think we may have a one year old pup that has developed an allergy.She has red ears and she vomits 20 minutes after eating it.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 07:24 AM
It's not actually a food I would ever even consider giving to my dog. It makes no sense to me at all .

Considering your dogs reaction, I suggest you stop.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 08:22 AM
I'm not a lover of giving any dog human food, especially peanut butter. (Except for the very small cubes of cheese I use for special training).

I would say he's allergic, quite definitely. But not in the human anaphylatic kind of way. Don't feed him peanut butter anymore.
liz
Dogsey Junior

09-11-2008, 08:56 AM
why are you giving your dog peanut butter
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 09:02 AM
To be fair to 3dog I have read numerous books that suggest peanut butter is OK for dogs, but it's not my personal choice.
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2008, 10:11 AM
The reaction to peanut butter does indicate allergic reaction so I would stop feeding it. Our dogs do eat the occasional peanut which passes through undigested. They recommend stuffing Kongs with peanut butter - if this is what you are using it for try Primula cheese spread or butter/margarine or mayonnaise.

Hope this helps

Thalice
English Setter
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Why on earth would you want to feed your dog peanut butter anyway? Especially as it seems to be having an averse reaction to it! It goes without saying that you should stop feeding your dog peanut butter now!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Hi Hun, I don't let my dogs eat nuts anyway, or peanut butter, like humans they can suffer reactions, which I think is what yours might be doing. I think it's much better to give it a miss, there are so many other things that you can give (doggy stuff) .
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 01:23 PM
I agree that you see peanut butter promoted for use in kongs in many places - I think if you look back over various 'kong' threads on Dogsey, you will see many people use it.

But I agree with the others, if your dog has this type of reaction, I would definitely stop using it (but I suspect you've sussed that out yourself already)
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 01:31 PM
I never give anything with nut content to my dogs or even my kids until they are about five, as nuts seem to cause so many people/dogs problems. Just not worth the risk to me.

Definitely sounds like your dog has an allergy. Butter sounds like a good alternative for the Kong. Have never used them myself though.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >