Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2007, 09:19 PM

Window Blinds - Dog related, honest!

Mods, feel free to move this if you think it's in teh wrong place!!

I have horizontal blinds in my sitting room, a kind of silver metal. They are completely battered and bent att he bottom half with the dogs jumping up to bark at people outside. They are now so bad that there's gaps that people can see in at night.

So I need to replace them real soon (wrong side of Xmas to be doing this, but it needs done!).

Can anyone recommend a type of blind that is dog proof, or as close to it as I can get? Since the front window is very exposed I want blinds for some privacy if possible.

Norty Dogs!!!
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2007, 09:21 PM
I have bamboo blinds at most of my windows, and touch wood, they haven't battered them yet. I do have the advantage of having quite wide window cills on some of the windows.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2007, 11:57 PM
Evie i know how you feel hun , I had luvre blinds they got distroyed the same way , Then i had venetion blinds same thing happened , Then i got bamboo blinds same thing again , Now i have roman blinds and they are fab , I pull them up enough just so the girls can have a nosey XXDK
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2007, 12:05 AM
The problem for me is that it's a huge window and a low height, so both dogs can easily reach it. I think I'd feel too exposed with nothing to keep the outside world from nosing in.

Will have a look at bamboo blinds and roman blinds. DK, do the Roman blinds not leave the room dark during the day, or do you pull them right up?
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2007, 06:37 AM
I will watch this thread with interest as I have the same problem except I have used net curtain that becomes shredded and looks awful so quickly.
I thought about blinds but I thought 36kg of dog pounding on them would soon batter them.
So hopefully I will get an idea that may work on here.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

19-11-2007, 09:11 AM
We've got very deep sills (about 2 feet) so the dogs get up and sit on them. In the lounge I've even carpeted the sill as I let them up on that one and they lie behing the curtains.

The living room one isn't quite so deep but it is the one they bark at if somebody comes. We dont have a curtain on that windown but we have a roller blind. It works really well with the dogs as I can wind it down (for privacy) but leave a little 2" slit at the bottom so they can peep out. If it gets knocked it can't break and can always be cleaned if you get the right sort.
Travis
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-11-2007, 10:53 AM
I agree with dollyknocker's I had the same problem ,but in my house it was the kids and dog's,I now have Roman blinds and so far just over a year they are still in one piece
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

19-11-2007, 12:56 PM
I have wooden venetian blinds because of the parrots - they are best to keep the direct sun out. Loki never touches them! Mind you, my settee is in front of one window and the other one in my living room, my parrots are near there and Loki can't get to them!
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
The problem for me is that it's a huge window and a low height, so both dogs can easily reach it. I think I'd feel too exposed with nothing to keep the outside world from nosing in.

Will have a look at bamboo blinds and roman blinds. DK, do the Roman blinds not leave the room dark during the day, or do you pull them right up?
No i have cream ones and they let a lot of light in hun , xdk
Travis
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-11-2007, 03:02 PM
I have winter white,no problems with light either