Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Poor Loui, he is another one isn't he who may have problems that are food related.

I hope that Tupacs replies to your query, but I was also thinking about having a word with Jimmi's vet to see what he recommends with the home cooked route. I know that when I took him off the Wafcol pdq, the vet said that it wouldn't do any harm to feed him white fish and potato for a few days........at the time I was in such a muddle that I didn't think to ask about long term home diets (he was rather busy anyway that night) but I am sure that each of our vets - knowing the individual dogs and their specific problems - might be the starting point for all of this.
Unfortunately every vet we see comes up with as much as try another food Basically, they seem stumped! I think he could try EVERY single food on the market and they would still say that!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Unfortunately every vet we see comes up with as much as try another food Basically, they seem stumped! I think he could try EVERY single food on the market and they would still say that!
Drat - that's not helpful is it. I think that our vet will be helpful, but it will be tailored to Jimmi and therefore probably not totally useful for you or VB
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 08:59 PM
That is something I would worry about a bit too.

I'm finding this interesting too. Right now with Loui not being right I am trying hard to think about his diet etc and actually I remember he did have a bout of his cysts with a raw lamb mince that he DID NOT have when feeding COOKED lamb.

I'm wondering if it is something in cooked red meats that is present or not present due to cooking that makes the difference for him
I have heard of many dogs who have allergies to a cooked meat, but manage perfectly well on that same meat raw because of how the cooking changes the meat. I guess it must be just as possible for it to work the other way around, and for a dog to handle the cooked version better than the raw.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I have heard of many dogs who have allergies to a cooked meat, but manage perfectly well on that same meat raw because of how the cooking changes the meat. I guess it must be just as possible for it to work the other way around, and for a dog to handle the cooked version better than the raw.
I'm wondering if it might be worth a go but at the same time worried about the risk....I wouldn't do it right now anyway as he has this chest infection. But for future it is perhaps something I should consider with him.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 04:00 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
My worry with home cooked diets is getting the balance right. I don't worry about that with raw (I did at the beginning but I am comfortable with it now), because it is a species appropriate diet.

Hmm but it doesnt suit every dog ....

Cooking can destroy and/or alter the proteins, minerals and vitamins etc, so dogs can be getting more of some nutrients, and less of others.

That is why its important to discuss ideas with your vet. As mentioned further back in the thread we were advised on an appropiate adult dog diet via a vet. Long green beans are full of fibre, vitamins & nuitrients so go a very long way to keeping diet correct. Its not cooking that destroys or alters, its "overcooking"

Some people will give supplements, but when you can't be sure exactly what nutrients they are losing out on and how much they are losing, it can be hard to replace them again... and it could result in the dog missing some nutrients, and then gaining too much of other nutrients, causing an imbalance.

Again you need to check with someone in the position to know - how can you be totally sure the raw diet you feed your dog is not imbalanced

IMO it can be very complicated, and difficult to be sure they are getting a good balance. JMO
Yes it can which is why keeping your vet up to date with what your doing is important

Discussions here with like minded people are informative & helpful, we can learn from each other

It should be noted however the needs of puppies & young dogs are different - the diet we have talked about here are for adults only
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 04:07 AM
Dobermann: Red meats can be harder for some dogs to digest, have you ever tried cut the "reds" out completely. Compensate with poultry, rabbit, fish, tripe etc?
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2011, 08:15 AM
I'm finding this interesting too. Right now with Loui not being right I am trying hard to think about his diet etc and actually I remember he did have a bout of his cysts with a raw lamb mince that he DID NOT have when feeding COOKED lamb.
Do you think there may be a connection with the lamb fat rather than the lamb meat.
Mince will have a varying amounts of fat in it.
Do you exclude any of the fat after cooking the lamb mince.
Just an eliminating thought because lamb fat is very saturated fat and can be hard to digest.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by rueben View Post
Do you think there may be a connection with the lamb fat rather than the lamb meat.
Just an eliminating thought because lamb fat is very saturated fat and can be hard to digest.
True - Harv had very bad reaction to Lamb based kibble.

Turkey or rabbit mince leaner
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Hmm but it doesnt suit every dog ....
Can you point me to where I said it does? You asked about raw, so I answered.

That is why its important to discuss ideas with your vet. As mentioned further back in the thread we were advised on an appropiate adult dog diet via a vet. Long green beans are full of fibre, vitamins & nuitrients so go a very long way to keeping diet correct. Its not cooking that destroys or alters, its "overcooking"
I don’t mean this to be rude, but I would never take dietary advice from a vet.

Cooking does alter or destroy it, it just depends how much it is cooked that depends how much it is changed. Which is why it can be difficult to know what has been destroyed/altered, and what has not, and also to what extent. I have never heard that about long green beans.

Again you need to check with someone in the position to know - how can you be totally sure the raw diet you feed your dog is not imbalanced
How can nature be imbalanced? Do you ever wonder if lions, wolves, tigers etc have an imbalanced diet?

Yes it can which is why keeping your vet up to date with what your doing is important
Again, I wouldn’t take nutritional advice from a vet.

Discussions here with like minded people are informative & helpful, we can learn from each other

It should be noted however the needs of puppies & young dogs are different - the diet we have talked about here are for adults only
Yes, discussions are informative and helpful. All I tried to do was answer a query you had about whether it is a balanced diet, and I gave you an answer, which I specifically said it was MY OPINION (for the most part). Which i always do nowadays on here, because of the replies you get back if you don't emphasise the I's and My's… yet, your reply seems very on the defensive, and you have bit back with asking about the diet I feed my dog… I don’t even know why I bothered to try and help, at least I know not to for next time.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 07:16 PM
Dobermann: Red meats can be harder for some dogs to digest, have you ever tried cut the "reds" out completely. Compensate with poultry, rabbit, fish, tripe etc?
He digests it fine but then had the cysts show up again. He is fine when fed no beef at all, then it seemed that lamb may be an issue so I now have my doubts as to whether he can eat red meat at all really. However noticed a cooked low fat piece of lamb does not seem to bring them up.
Originally Posted by rueben View Post
If he eats cooked lamb fat it basically ends in 'the squits' yet if he eats raw lamb fat he digests it fine. Thats why I am wondering about whether there is something in particular about red meat....however when he hasnt had either he now has them I am even considering if totally cutting out this 'allergen' is creating more for him to be intolerant of if you know what I mean?

tbh I am now doubting the source a little too. I asked for lamb tripe before and they said yes, and tbf, he was fine, I asked for lamb liver and they said yes....this time I asked and they said they cannot do that as they use all sources together; they didnt say this was a new thing though! Perhaps its me looking a little too close but...hmm

The problem is it is very hard to (reliably) get offal that isn't beef or lamb here. Even in the supermarkets its hard to get pork offal and chicken livers.
Page 9 of 18 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »