Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-12-2009, 07:52 PM

How much peanut butter is ok?

I bought some organic peanut butter (no added salt) to use in my puppys kong. He's had a little bit just to test if he likes it etc but I was hoping someone could tell me how much it is ok for him to have and how often?
nellie_dean
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Why do you want to feed your dog peanut butter? There are lots of healthier treats than a high fat/protein food - after all, too much peanut butter is not actually all that healthy for humans never mind dogs, even if they like it!
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-12-2009, 04:00 AM
Good question. A little peanut butter won't hurt a dog, but it can't be a complete and balanced diet. If I had to take a guess, I would say keep it below 10% of a dog's diet. I am afraid people get carried away with it.

Freezing a peanut butter filled Kong makes it last longer.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Good question. A little peanut butter won't hurt a dog, but it can't be a complete and balanced diet. If I had to take a guess, I would say keep it below 10% of a dog's diet. I am afraid people get carried away with it.

Freezing a peanut butter filled Kong makes it last longer.
I don't know anyone who would fill a whole kong with just peanut butter....pretty sure the dog would just be sick.

A little peanut butter goes quite a long way...my adult dogs get about a teaspoon or so each and they don't have it that often either - probably on average about once a week (sometimes more sometimes less). I wouldn't use it every day.

I tend to fill the kong with something else such as their kibble and then just put a spoonful in the top.

Another alternative that someone on Dogsey recommended (sorry can't remember who) was to put some on a slice of bred (or possibly half a slice depending on the size of your dog) and then ram that into the kong and again just covering the opening with a bit extra.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-12-2009, 11:18 AM
I wasn't planning to fill it up!

I was just thinking of a little bit, as an occasional treat, mixed into the biscuits so they stick together better when i freeze them.

At the moment I'm just rubbing a little around the top. When I asked how much I was thinking more along the lines of 1 teaspoon or two!

He gets through it too fast if I don't mix the kibble with something to help it stick. I have previously used banana, yoghurt, honey, mashed carrot, and olive oil (all in small amounts). I've also put in cheese, tuna, treats, parma ham, chicken.

Hadn't thought of bread. I was told apple sauce and mashed potato would be ok but I haven't tried them. was wondering if porridge was allowed?

What would you suggest?
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2009, 11:30 AM
I tend to blob the peanut butter in the bottom, then smoosh all the biscuits/treats into it.... usually 1 large teaspoon in each Kong...

I also use mashed banana, mashed potato etc instead, for a bit of variation!
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I don't know anyone who would fill a whole kong with just peanut butter....pretty sure the dog would just be sick.

A peanut butter filled Kong is a very common technique. I have used it successfully. Yes, since both dogs and Kongs come in different sizes, you would want to be a little careful about the size.

You are guessing it would make a dog sick. If I have to guess, I label it as such. I have no good reliable information on just how much peanut butter is too much. I do have experience with giving dogs a peanut butter filled Kong. It is a great way of keeping them occupied when needed. Nobody should hesitate to use a common, successful technique if needed. I have never needed to use it much, but it is one more tool that has its uses.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2009, 11:04 PM
i'm stunned that anyone would think giving a dog a peanut butter filled kong was acceptable!! but given the advice labman dishes out i'm not surprised that he would suggest it.

wallaroo, it sounds like you are giving a good variety of treats in your dogs kong. as my collie is fed on chappie, i put some of that in lily's kong (she is on james wellbeloved kibble) it is a brilliant filler.
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-12-2009, 11:10 PM
I love PB to much to ever let werm or my OH get a sniff!!
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by tabsmagic View Post
I love PB to much to ever let werm or my OH get a sniff!!
ewww!! it is the most revolting food ever created! the mere smell makes me want to throw up!!

but each to their own!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >