Our sister sites
Our sister sites
saraUK
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-04-2007, 04:08 PM

How do you start showing your dog?

Hi there,

I would like to get some advice, I have owned dogs all my life but have never entered any of my dogs into shows/competitions. I now own a blue syaffordshire bull terrier, she has all her kc papers and is about 7 months old now. I've been taking her to obedience classes but would like to start 'showing' her.

Can anyone out there give me any advice on where to start! Thanks.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2007, 05:02 PM
Find yourself a local ringcraft class. I just put in ringcraft somerset in google and found one a short distance away from me. You should get lots of support and advice from them.
Becky
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Hi Sara,
As Becky said ringcraft is the best place to start.
Where abouts in the uk are you?
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2007, 02:17 PM
If you live close enough, take her to see her breeder to see if she's suitable for showing. It's always better to have an honest opinion from the start so you are not disappointed.
Also if possible, if the breeder shows themselves they are the best place to start. Ringcraft classes are a must but there may not be someone their who has staffies to give you that extra help. Go along to a few shows, champ ones if possible as entries are always good and sit round the ring, you learn a lot from watching
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2007, 03:58 PM
At ringcraft classes don't be embarassed to ask for help with things like filling in entry forms etc, you'll find people are only too happy to help. They often have schedules for some of the shows there as well. Good luck.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2007, 04:35 PM
agree go to a local rincraft class .....once you feel confident try a local open show

its like a bug you either get it or you don't .....if you get it then the sky is ur limit
saraUK
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2007, 09:01 AM
Thanks guys,

I live in west london, have googled ringcraft classes but can not find anyone close enough to me but I'll keep checking.

She did come from a good breeder, she is from champion lines, this was said to us by the breeder and is also shown on her kc papers. They live in Nottingham though so its a bit too far away from us.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by sara View Post
Thanks guys,

I live in west london, have googled ringcraft classes but can not find anyone close enough to me but I'll keep checking.

She did come from a good breeder, she is from champion lines, this was said to us by the breeder and is also shown on her kc papers. They live in Nottingham though so its a bit too far away from us.
The papers and how many champions in her line won't tell you much to be honest. It is no guarantee at all. It is still better to have a chat with your breeder as at the time did you tell her you were looking to show or looking for a pet.
Remember, most of the time, the breeder keeps the best puppy out of the litter to show themselves.
I don't want to sound negative. It's just that at ringcraft you see so many dogs that are not suitable for the ring but nothing is ever said to the owners as it's difficult.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
I don't want to sound negative. It's just that at ringcraft you see so many dogs that are not suitable for the ring but nothing is ever said to the owners as it's difficult.
Oooppps I have told people their dog isn't a show dog lol!
Becky
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2007, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Oooppps I have told people their dog isn't a show dog lol!
Becky
LMAOOO!!!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >