Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2013, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by KYes View Post
Sep anx is an uncommon clinical condition which even many dogs are claimed to have don't actually have

the answer is most dogs wouldn't develop it anyway so in most instances their isn't a special prevention programme required outside of the usual way folk raise dogs. you get some breeds that you need to be more cautious of such as toys and staffies
How is this remotely helpful to someone asking advice about Separation Anxiety. I am certainly unaware that toys and staffies are more prone to it ... where did you get this information from? What is the 'usual' way that folk raise dogs ... could you please explain.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Anxiety in being alone is very common for dogs as, being pack animals, its not normal for them. Tonks has learnt to be alone in a very positive way, being left little and often from a very young age, but would still rather have company... As most dogs would.

So many dogs, on being left, are given a treat or chew but do not touch them until the owners return. I'm afraid I can't remember where I read it but I saw it suggested that this in itself might be a form if very mild anxiety.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2013, 07:53 PM
Does anyone get a feeling of "deja vu?" Cos I sure do!!!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2013, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Yup!! I'm still hoping that KYes would like to come and explain a few points.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-08-2013, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
me too
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2013, 08:19 PM
I'd also like to say a big well done to the o p for asking this question! I don't mean to be patrionizing, it's just really good to considering it. So many people get a puppy, realise it doesn't like being left so don't leave them for a few weeks, then return to work and realise they have an issue. It's so much easier to plan to avoid an issue rather than plough on and then try to back track and retrain.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
I'd also like to say a big well done to the o p for asking this question! I don't mean to be patrionizing, it's just really good to considering it. So many people get a puppy, realise it doesn't like being left so don't leave them for a few weeks, then return to work and realise they have an issue. It's so much easier to plan to avoid an issue rather than plough on and then try to back track and retrain.
Absolutely. Really good advice and this topic does come up frequently. It is so bizarre that one of mine has it as he has the company of his brother who doesn't mind at all when we leave and is very calm. I have told him that he is very lucky not to be being left by himself ..... but he just wants ME
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
Absolutely. Really good advice and this topic does come up frequently. It is so bizarre that one of mine has it as he has the company of his brother who doesn't mind at all when we leave and is very calm. I have told him that he is very lucky not to be being left by himself ..... but he just want ME
Funny isn't it. Remus would rather not be left, even though he has Tonks for company... Even though he can't actually touch her because he's crated again now....but then who knows what he'd be like if he had been adopted to be an only dog.
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-08-2013, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
Florence I agree with you on this one and although KYes appears to believe that SAis very uncommon you only have to read all the threads on this forum to realise that it does exist. I'm not sure what experience KYes has but her statement is not helpful and frankly condescending. Although everyone is entitled to their own opinions it is more helpful to give examples of experience or help or not comment at all rather than dismiss another members comments. I am an experienced dog owner and the dog I have now is the first one I've had to experience this upsetting behaviour.
KYes, you asked me in an earlier post to explain my dogs sympotoms which I did days ago ..... why ask if you are not going to comment?
Actually I think your forum example reinforces myI argument not
Yours and Icould andwould explain further all those things you ask if ,just like Florence , you hadnt spoiled an otherwise fair post with all the silly judgmental statements about my posting instead of just concentrating on the content. so no, haven't dismissed anyone's opinions, I'm just not interested in those sorts of discussions. you both discouraged me
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-08-2013, 09:05 PM
Ps - excuse the typos I only have a phone to use its quite difficult so its also impractical for me to not sticks to points and is the reason I don't reply to each and every post in what you may be used to so I wouldn't read too much into that tbh.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >