Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by mcrobs View Post
I do understand where you are coming from, I was so upset last night, reading what was infront of me and did go on in a further post to appologise,

but dont you feel that yes I was niave in the beginning, and should I not have been guided by the stud dog owner
We are all niave in the begining.
I believe that if you are going to breed then your learning should have started way before you had picked your stud dog.

You should have been researching your breed and any possible health issues from day one.
What can go wrong because with the best will in the world thing can and do go wrong because you have to factor in Mother nature.

Speak to people with other breeds because they may be doing things not presently done in your chosen breed that are good.

At the end of the day your bitch, your pups, your responsiblity.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2012, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
I believe that if you are going to breed then your learning should have started way before you had picked your stud dog.

You should have been researching your breed and any possible health issues from day one.
What can go wrong because with the best will in the world thing can and do go wrong because you have to factor in Mother nature.

Speak to people with other breeds because they may be doing things not presently done in your chosen breed that are good.

Agree entirely with this post.
mcrobs
New Member!
Female 

04-03-2012, 09:40 AM

I do agree with you to a certain extent, I have never shyed away from my responsibility, but the whole facts were that I was the first to come forward with any issues, when further down the line the cases popped up, the first time i uesed the dog, it was through breeding terms and we had such a wonderful litter, but here I am m,any years down the line, not so green and alot more knowledge and "common sense", there are many things i would never do again, but at the end of the day, a stud dog owner has a responssibility to come clean about any health deffects regarding its offsrping
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2012, 09:50 AM
I do agree with you to a certain extent, I have never shyed away from my responsibility, but the whole facts were that I was the first to come forward with any issues, when further down the line the cases popped up, the first time i uesed the dog, it was through breeding terms and we had such a wonderful litter, but here I am m,any years down the line, not so green and alot more knowledge and "common sense", there are many things i would never do again, but at the end of the day, a stud dog owner has a responssibility to come clean about any health deffects regarding its offsrping
I am sure we have all done things we would never do again.
I first heard about this being an issue in Boxers in 2005 and I don't know many Boxers. If its a possible issue then it should be the advise to all Boxer owners to routinly test for this and especially before breeding.

The program PDE in my opinion is an ego trip for the producer and every bit of content should be questioned.
mcrobs
New Member!
Female 

04-03-2012, 09:53 AM
I am sure we have all done things we would never do again.
I first heard about this being an issue in Boxers in 2005 and I don't know many Boxers. If its a possible issue then it should be the advise to all Boxer owners to routinly test for this and especially before breeding.

The program PDE in my opinion is an ego trip for the producer and every bit of content should be questioned.
Well can you tell me the cases you know of then, as it may help !! All information that was supplied to the producer was 100% authentic with vet reports ect to back it up
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Did it not say that both parents must have a copy of the gene to priduce this problem? Didnt watch all of the program, may have misheard.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2012, 10:01 AM
Well can you tell me the cases you know of then, as it may help !! All information that was supplied to the producer was 100% authentic with vet reports ect to back it up
Sorry it was a girl with a boxer who was on a canine course with me and as the subjects we were covering were health breeding and genetics she talked about the issues she had with her boxer. She was not a breeder herself and she was managing the condition with diet.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-03-2012, 10:05 AM
*off topic posts removed*
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Thank you for your words, I am sorry for being reactive but it does still hurt, I do still cry, I just loved her so much, and still do......thank you for listening to my side of the story I will be back tommerow to chat some more, good night

Its good that you can put your side of the story to us, it helps explain why you bred your bitch, as its already been said, ALL aspects of this programs will be discussed on here and other forums and it will include all those who put statements out.

I understand you are upset, but coming with a threatening attitude does not help.

I felt for you and the other lady deeply on that programme, but when I heard you had bred her, I admit it did give cause for question.

Have taped the programme so will go back and watch it again... to get a better insight to your story.

TBH, have known about this for a long time in our breed, trouble is now, its a case of the stable door being left open.

If only breeders were honest, it always seems the bigger they are the more secretive they are.

Agree with the above also

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Did it not say that both parents must have a copy of the gene to priduce this problem? Didnt watch all of the program, may have misheard.
Yes it did!!
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2012, 10:35 AM
I have just done a quick google and came up with an appeal for bllod samples from affected dogs in 2010.

It seems there may be a problem with this condition in flat coated retrievers and GSD and several others. There are a couple of links posted to research in other countries as to the mode of inheritence

http://hunddna.slu.se/_eng/projekt/r...splasi_en.html

Can't post all the info as it is on an other dog forum.
Page 8 of 14 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »