Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-08-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by Alison N
Apologies Kathy - must have missed it, I'll read it through again when Grace isn't poking me with a nylabone .

My views as to rescue is very biased based on my chosen breed but I do know people who have bought pups from reputable sources who are frowned upon in some circuits because they didn't rescue. My ideal would be that everyone went to a good breeder then the rescue problem wouldn't exist so is it feasible to say that by not going to good breeder's, the problem is perpetuated? Again that would be deemed as an extreme viewpoint but as ShadowBoxer and Chloe have said, the title of this thread is also extreme in it's own right.

My view of rescue has been clouded by many events and I would say that the worst one was some rescue workers expecting me to take Rottweiler's out of pounds as my next dog as soon as word got out that Doris had died! When being told I did not wish to take them, I was looked on as the scum of the earth and as far as I'm concerned it was bang out of order. When I lose a dog I don't rush out for the next replacement, they mean far more to me than that.

We work on a supply and demand basis, the BYB's would die out if the demand wasn't there therefore the ensuing rescue problem would then be ruled out? Just pushing a different argument here and would be interested in viewpoints - all healthy debate.
I completely understand Alison. I have nothing against people going to breeders for a pup. I personally wouldn't as long as there are suitable dogs for my family in rescue. But that's just me and I dont judge others for going to a breeder. I don't know whether you were still on the other site when we got turned down for rescue siameses by several breed rescues because we owned filthy (their words not mine) moggies, but we went to a superb breeder and put ourselves on the list. It didn't go ahead because the week the kittens were born Mojo came into rescue and needed us more. I must admit I was a bit relieved that I didn't have to fight my own demons on the rescue/breeder front, but also disappointed that it looks like we'll never own a siamese cat.

I believe everyone has the choice as to what dog they give their home to. But what I cant understand is why some people say that rescues are all untrustworthy. It might be that the rescues of the particular breed they want AT THAT TIME are, but given time a more suitable candidate could turn up. But it just seems like rescues get a worse name every day from people who say "ooo you cant go to a rescue if you have kids", or "You never know the history of a rescue dog". There are many rescues that dont have a history. There are many that do though. And there are always puppies (of course if you're after a particular breed you might not be interested, but that's not because the puppy isn't suitable, it's because the choice of breed is different). That's what I meant, and am having trouble getting across.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2004, 10:33 AM
don't think this is ever going to get the right answer rescue or to buy ????? everyone has their own strong opions ....BYB will never stop and I can't change the world all on my own Kath M as I said before it's not a personal attack on you it's just that not everyone shares the same views ......yeap Staffy tired of this one .... we should all agree to disagree ...
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2004, 10:38 AM
But it just seems like rescues get a worse name every day from people who say "ooo you cant go to a rescue if you have kids",
but thats only from the ignaramus of society Kathy
I have had exactly the same comments about Staffys and the same misconceptions about them.

I think this debate is on the wrong board -

it should be put out to the uneducated public. They are the ones causing this whole problem . The ones that breed for no other reason than to make money and the owners who then "get rid" because they cant be bothered.

I think its wrong to attempt to make genuine dog lovers/owners guilty for the actions of those who dont care!
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-08-2004, 10:39 AM
I've kept out of this one but Kathy I do see what you are saying but there will always be peeps who say ALL rescues are untrustworthy , just as there will be peeps who say all Rotts,Dobes Bullmastiffs etc are untrustworthy -Such is life , infuriating as it is
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-08-2004, 10:41 AM
I agree Lel, but very similar comments were made by members of this board on this thread. It's worrying to think educated people have such a misguided view of rescue.

Murphy - agree completely, but if people post that on a thread I'm participating in, I'll point out where they're wrong. Sorry, edited to say where *I think* theyre wrong from my experience. Sounded a bit harsh.
Alison N
Dogsey Junior

27-08-2004, 10:42 AM
I know what you mean Kathy and I do agree you have been left to take the heat here - what happened to the original poster? I think people are obviously wary for their children and although I don't have them, I fully understand it.

What my worry is though is the anti-dog brigade and any little thing gives them ammunition. As you know I am very defensive on the Rottweiler front !

I will have rescues no doubt in the future again but as my parents care for the dogs while I am at work, I have to put them first. They are getting old and need a stable dog so for the next few years it will be well bred pups. On the same subject two dogs are enough yet time and time again we've been expected to take on lots of dogs just because they are at home.

I've loved all my dogs equally and had a special affinity with my blind rescue male Fred (despite his destruction and baking attempts!). He was a classic example of when things can go wrong though when he was ill and gave me a clean bite.

What does annoy me is that people are frowned upon for having a pup (and I don't mean you here Kathy), I just feel its very unfair.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2004, 10:46 AM
I havent read every post on this but im sure whoever made the comment about rescues having potential issues didnt mean EVERY rescue.

Rescues can have issues and others dont - just like anything in life.

Thats why its important for the rescue centre to make potential owners aware of those issues and try to work them through them and also for the new owner not to go in blinkered and realise the dog may be affected by problems . And if it is then not to give up on it .
Any dog is a commitment and if he has problems (whether rescue or pedigree) we should be there to help him through them but unfortunately people arent all like that
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-08-2004, 10:46 AM
LOL Kathy -quick thinking there
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2004, 10:48 AM
you have both made some good points ................ should we leave it now???
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-08-2004, 10:48 AM
Yep, Alison, me too.

And I really do agree with what you're saying. I get the opposite side though - those that tell me I've put my kids at risk by getting rescue dogs. Now you haven't met these two, but Ruby - well - the only thing in danger round her is food! And Dharma, well she came to us very young and went straight into training - I'm going onto a course in September that will mean she is worked to the utmost (I'm learning to be a trainer).

Although both dogs were found very quickly, we had in each case a fair bit of time to roll things round in our heads and make sure we made the right decision. You know why I wouldn't take this lightly.

And yet I still get certain people saying that rescue dogs should never go with kids. Some shouldn't, no, but there are so many that did nothing wrong to end up there. And to think that if these people had their views as "law" then I wouldn't have these two here.
Closed Thread
Page 29 of 32 « First < 19 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 >