Our sister sites
Our sister sites
franc1987
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-07-2005, 09:54 PM

vicous but not really?

Hi,

My two year old Staffy X Springer is a very loving and adorable dog but there is one thing with her and i was just wondering if this was normal?

When i am giving her a fuss she often climbs up on my knee and licks, i always tell her to stop licking and she does but then when i stroke her again she whines and growls at me, she doenst show her teeth but she sounds vicious even tho she isnt being? Then sometimes she jumps up and snaps but doesnt. She snaps with her mouth but doesnt make any sound. She looks like she is going to bite your face but she stops just short.
She doesnt appear to be being vicious and i always tell her No when she does this but i am worried because we are OK with this as we no her intentions arent vicious but other people she meets might think she is a dangerous dog. She sounds and acts like she is being vicious but isnt. I am not entirely sure this makes sense!

Also when she is laying down and i lay next to her to stroke her belly she whines and crys like she is upset but at the same time she is wagging her tail. She is really confusing me!

Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone have any advice for me,
Love Frances x
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2005, 11:40 PM
yep we have another one here - Bruno likes to lie opn his belly - he wants you to tickle his tummy or rub hik and he makes growly noises and then if you tickel his chin he will howl and whine.

He also turns his head if lying on his belly and you are rubbing him and tried to snap at you - but he doesnt actually snap or do anything - if he gets close he licks ur face thats it.

The noises I have always assumed are just him vocalising he likes it !!
He has never hurt me or anybody else ( apart from accidentally) and I just think the noises are part staffie too - they are very vocal...
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 08:13 AM
i have to agree with brundog,, i have known a few people with staffies and they are very "grunty" kinds of dogs,, its like they are talking to you in their own lil language,, so sweet.

im sure your dog would never hurt you,, just make sure she knows what is acceptable and what isnt,, shes just a vocal lil thing im sure
franc1987
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 09:41 PM
Hey

Thanks for the advice, its good to know that other staffies do this. I have never owned a staffy or a staffy cross before and never really had much contact with staffy dogs so Bo is a big learning curve- yes even 2 yrs on!

Frances
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 10:00 PM
ur welcome - they have lots of ridiculous characteristics that I have to admit to not coming across in other dogs. My friends all laugh at all the antics bruno gets up to - will need to get some video footage of Bruno for you doing this so we can compare sounds !! LOL
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2005, 01:21 PM
I think it is a lovie-affection thing. Loki loves to get his dead-thing-infested mouth as close to mine as possible. I resist but it's tough when you're asleep and this tongue snakes out ....

I think she is being loving and playful. Watch dogs in the wild or with siblings- they lick,whine etc. just like you have described.
xxx
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2005, 02:11 PM
tyson does this aswell its a lovie thing . i wuouldnt worry hes just letting you know that he loves you ..