View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2014, 08:43 PM
Hello, Jen. I apologize for my errors. I'm American this doesn't exist here. Sometimes I forget that bridge, that I'm from a different country. I thank you for telling me this.

All farms and livestock areas are considered private property and farmers and herders etc. are NOT going to be happy if they see you and your dogs around their flocks. There are usually proper fences though, so you will have a hard time defending yourself if you are caught on someone's land.

Jade doesn't go off her lead anyway, but if I ever found myself where there was livestock, I'd be certain to put Nigredo on a lead as well... even though I have seen him around chickens, deer, etc. and he isn't the type of dog to chase or harm anything.

I agree with you... I'm far more worried about livestock smashing my dogs teeth in, or stampeding and running someone or something over than I am of him hurting anything.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2014, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
<snip>

The public footpaths are protected and in some cases hard fought for. If you have a public footpath running through your land then you have to keep the pathway clear of blockages. As users of the public footpaths we only have the right to walk on the path, not beside it nor cutting across a field it runs round the edge of, only on it. This also includes our own animals however we do have every right to use it whether there is livestock in it or not.
<snip>

All of mine are used to livestock and live near it. Two of them work on sheep, one of them helps me poo pick the horses and has been in with a variety of known livestock offlead. For me the fear is not necessarily what my dogs will do but what the livestock will do if spooked deliberately or not by my dogs.
Exactly the point I was trying to make about my feelings re all this - the safety of my dog (oh and I'm terrified of cows lol!) once wouldn't get off my boat for AGES because cows had appeared overnight outside it and were all LICKING it and it was rocking like mad!

Anyone on here who lives in West Cornwall will know there are vast tracts of land, moors, etc. that are literally littered with old mineshafts. And they do warn of this with regard to you taking care and re your dogs. People still let their dogs run wild and it is not uncommon for the emergency services to come out (bless them all) and do their dammed best to rescue the creature. Hell, horses and even sometimes cars and lorries have fallen through down into these old disused mineworkings in Towns, let alone out on the lovely moors. You can easily find articles about these incidents.

All comes back, for me, to taking responsibility for the safety of your own animals.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2014, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Hello, Jen. I apologize for my errors. I'm American this doesn't exist here. Sometimes I forget that bridge, that I'm from a different country. I thank you for telling me this.

All farms and livestock areas are considered private property and farmers and herders etc. are NOT going to be happy if they see you and your dogs around their flocks. There are usually proper fences though, so you will have a hard time defending yourself if you are caught on someone's land.

Jade doesn't go off her lead anyway, but if I ever found myself where there was livestock, I'd be certain to put Nigredo on a lead as well... even though I have seen him around chickens, deer, etc. and he isn't the type of dog to chase or harm anything.

I agree with you... I'm far more worried about livestock smashing my dogs teeth in, or stampeding and running someone or something over than I am of him hurting anything.
Hey Myra, I thought it might help you better understand the issues we have here with livestock and dogs. I can imagine in America there are plenty of places to walk dogs that do not require crossing anyone's land. I'm glad you took it the way I intended it and not as an insult.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-03-2014, 02:29 PM
Where I used to live (in the Bernese Jura of Switzerland) there are still fields called 'pāturage communal' which are essentially community fields. They belong to the village and farmers can put their cattle, horses etc. there over summer.
Anyone can go in, we used to ride through them on horses and sometimes got into a bit of trouble if curious foals tried to follow us! But no other problems ever on horses. However, we always had to be careful with dogs, because cows don't like dogs. So on occasions we had to leave it and walk somewhere else, but only rarely. Those fields are huge and you never really know where the cows or horses are going to be (unless it's 5pm, that's when they're waiting to be milked by the entrance). Everybody knows that there are cattle in there and enters at their own risk (I can't remember if there are signs..).

It'll be different in every country (or even region), and I'm still not sure which way to think, whether I think it's ok for farmers to shoot dogs on their property or if I think that's a bit extreme. I think I'd only be ok with it if the dog showed actual signs of attacking the livestock. A dog just wandering about doesn't mean he/she is going to attack and could be a lost pet. But I don't know.. I guess it's good I'm not in charge of making decisions!!
ACDdragoness
New Member!
Female 

22-03-2014, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Not a laughing matter, the story was reported in Newspapers & on TV news. The owner got away with his dog being totally out of control in a public place-not bad luck-lack of training & control of the dog by it's owner.

Yes farmers should be able to shoot at dogs who worried their livestock & it's not something most farmers want or like to do. You have to be licensed to use a dart gun separately from a shotgun licence & the drugs in the darts are almost as dangerous as ammunition, the strength of the drug can kill a human.

The owners that allow their dogs to worry, maul & kill livestock should be punished with a jail sentence.

No laughing matter for the sheep/cattle/dog & I'm surprised that people thought the video amusing
Agreed, if the dog is acting aggressively or chasing their stock then the farmer has every right to protect them. It is the owners fault for not properly containing their dog.
Page 19 of 19 « First < 9 16 17 18 19