View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-04-2012, 08:08 AM

Its happened as predicted. Mum another fall.

7 weeks home after her marathon hospital stay and a stay wth my eldest brother.

She only has the carers 3 times a day which Gill and I pointed out was not nearly enough the inbetween times she is not covered and she proved this right yesterday.

She has been in bed for nearly a week now not well but when she feels slightly better she gets up to do little things for herself. In the book from the carers it says they get round there she has done most of the things even though she is not meant too. They then find her in bed unwell and breathless.

Last week they called the Dr out and she went for an x-ray for her chest and some blood tests it seems the x-ray was clear. Back to yesterday sorry for diverting.

She had been in bed carers been in made her a cuppa etc., she got hungry late afternoon and wanted one of these ready made jellies so went downstairs left her alarm button beside the bed. Frame was in the kitchen and she went into the living room trying to get the lid off jelly got agitated as she was finding it difficult and went down broke her little table cut her elbow bashed her head and couldn't weight bear on her right leg. So Gill and Peter get a call I have fallen. Ambulance called Paramedic turns up sorts her out eventually ambulance arrives he goes with her Gill and I follow on later. Seems nothing broken although at one point they did think she may of dislocated her right hip the replacement one then decided she hadn't.

They said they would keep her overnight to rehydrate her. Gill and I left at 10pm I dropped her home and I got in around 11.15pm. Gill is ringing eldest brother today and telling him we are not available in the future for hospital call outs she clearly cannot cope and we are both worn out with it all now.

All the time mum is sayng I will do anything but not go into a home.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2012, 08:29 AM
Would she be up for a sheltered housing scheme, Lynn? At the very least, she needs a bungalow, not a house and people on hand for emergencies.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-04-2012, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Would she be up for a sheltered housing scheme, Lynn? At the very least, she needs a bungalow, not a house and people on hand for emergencies.
She was offered the chance in 2010 Chris and she wouldn't even go for a look round. She is beyond that now.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2012, 09:14 AM
Must be so hard for you just waiting for next accident{{{hugs}}} Can totally understand you taking a step back.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-04-2012, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
Must be so hard for you just waiting for next accident{{{hugs}}} Can totally understand you taking a step back.
Its harder for my sister now since I have stepped back she only lives round the corner and she is worn to a frazzle. She has her own serious health issues. Mum is becoming so selfish to have her own way and stay in the house she cearly cannot cope with anymore she is prepared to risk all our health's.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-04-2012, 09:27 AM
Oh Lynn (((hugs))). Is the hospital expecting you and/or Gill to collect her and take her home?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Oh Lynn (((hugs))). Is the hospital expecting you and/or Gill to collect her and take her home?
No we informed them last night there was no one available to get her she would need transport. They said no problem but they usually try their luck. They have to ring for the key safe number so we will see but I am not able to go Gill doesn't drive so if one of the boys decide to do it thats up to them.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2012, 09:59 AM
Oh no Lynn that is awful you must all be physically and emotionally drained. It must be awful just waiting for the call you know will eventually come that she has had yet another fall. That must weigh so heavily on all your minds.

No other words of advice than that I'm afraid. I know when my grand mother got very frail between my mum and her two sisters they each would take it in turns to spend the day with her. This took a very hard toll on all three of them so I can imagine how you are feeling.

Hugs xx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2012, 10:18 AM
How awful for you all...... the woman is so stubborn!

*Hugs*
Mazza
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Oh how I feel for you having been in exactly the same position up until a few weeks ago and there isn't anything I could suggest to help. As long as they are mentaly sound they can make their own decisions where they live and like your mum mine was a danger to herself living alone but refused to move. Carers could go in numerous times a day but a fall could occur within minutes of them leaving and they becom a constant worry to us. Big hugs to you, I know how stressful and frustrating this is when a safe residential home could change hers and your life for the better,try to keep your chin up hun.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >