register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Should Sex and Relationships Education be compulsary in Schools?
Yes 32 94.12%
No 2 5.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »
shadow_the_staff
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-03-2006, 11:16 AM

Sex and relationships Education- Should it be compulsary?

Just saw a very good program on channel 4 called "lets talk sex". It discussed the issue of sex and relationships education, and whether it should be compulsary in schools.

Davina McCall is the presenter and is backing it 100%, she feels sex ed should start earlier (primary schools) be consistent and compulsary.

She visited holland where their sex ed classes are very frank, and work, tennage pregnanies, and STI's have dropped dramatically in the last 20 years, which is when their new sex ed ciriculum started.

I completely agree, I only had 2 sex ed classes in 11years of school.

It should definately be made compulsary in my opinion what do you think?

(If any one is interested in learning more go to channel4.com/letstalksex)
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

22-03-2006, 11:45 AM
agree completely tbh.

the current methods are pants and not woring.

i remember being at high school and our teacher basically skipping the lessons as he was embarrassed and didnt see the point of them.

was all too unstructured imo.

honesty and openess is how i prefer things and how it should be imo.

with kids able to get access to help and info easily and free if possible.

when i was at college i help setup a service where we the students gave other students advice and free condoms.lol

we had training and stuff and i think it was a good idea.

somethiong similar at alll colleges, unis and imo high schools should be available.
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2006, 11:51 AM
I totally agree with you both. I think we too had either one or two lessons on it and one of them wasnt until the 6th form!

I didnt see the program but im going to go check out the link. Thanks Shadow

x
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Yes its a good idea to have sex education in schools I think. We never had sex education - just a small talk by our class teacher about periods to the girls only in Junior 4 (which I had forgotten about by the time I was in senior school ) My parents gave me no sex education either - they told me nothing, my dad was a right prude I thought babies just happened at a certain time of your life, I didn't know that you had to actually do anything to get them When my friend told me the truth I was shocked and wouldn't believe her
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2006, 12:11 PM
Children know it all today I bet they could teach us a lesson or too children are very forward today and grow up very quickly in todays society
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2006, 12:12 PM
I know - my just 14 year old daughter knows a lot more than she lets on - I am surprised at the things she understands
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2006, 12:13 PM
At school, we watched a video of a woman giving birth - that was our sex ed! lol

My Mum told me and my sister everything we needed to know
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2006, 12:14 PM
My daughter is only out and comes out with things that make me dumbfound
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2006, 12:44 PM
100% agree!

Should definately start in primary school. Nothing graphic, but they should know where babies come from and that mum and dad make them. Stuff that can be expanded on ech year as they grow. I mean, at that age, most kids are curious anyway as their parents are usually still popping sprogs

Our sex ed is diabolical.
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2006, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Bodhi
100% agree!

Should definately start in primary school. Nothing graphic, but they should know where babies come from and that mum and dad make them. Stuff that can be expanded on ech year as they grow. I mean, at that age, most kids are curious anyway as their parents are usually still popping sprogs

Our sex ed is diabolical.

Totally agree 100% Bodhi I think you have closed the matter entirely
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »