Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scouse mouse
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-04-2011, 07:42 AM

Got him home

Well I finallyt went to pick up my new best mate yesterday. A 10 month old GSD X BC. And he is amazing!!

He is a little on the skinny side, but I will soon have him fed up.

He hasnt had the best of starts in life by the looks of things but I will make up for that, so I decided to give him a new name (new name / new start and all that). Now I know some people may not agree with renaming dogs, but he is such a clever boy and has already started to respond to it.

So he is now known as Ringo (as in Starr) seeing as he howled at every Beatles song in the car on the way home.

I took the bull by the horns straight away so to speak and tested his recall yesterday - and he is spot on! Took him out around the racecourse and surrounding fields and all he wanted to do was play fetch!

I'm so happy with him! Will post a picture of Ringo in the picture section
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 08:15 AM
New best mate, what a lovely way of putting it. Welcome home Ringo. Look forward to seeing some pics!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-04-2011, 08:21 AM
id howl if you made me listen to the beatles as well

well done

i do have to say though, that one of the things that upset me when i was a rehomer for a rescue centre was spending a lot of time taking people thru an education process, incl explaining not to let the dog off for some weeks until he has bonded with you and you have actually trained a recall specific to yourself using a long line.
because he doesnt know you and has no reason to hang around with you and could run off to anything more interesting at a second's notice

and then to find out later our advice was ignored and the dog put at risk. we had at least 3 dogs killed for this reason, it was frustrating and heartbreaking for me.

which rescue is your dog from?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 08:22 AM
Welcome, Ringo! Let`s hope his timing is better than that of his namesake! Piccies would be nice.
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Hate to say it but I'm with Krusewalker on this one.You didn,t 'take bull by the horns' - you risked the life of your new friend.Just because you got lucky that time doesn't mean you'll be as lucky the next time when he may get distracted and have something other than fetching on his mind.PLEASE keep him on the leash or behind a fence for a while!

And I sincerely hope you'll enjoy your new pal for many years to come!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Well done for taking this new friend on I have to agree with the others though, I didn't let my rescue offlead for about 3 weeks even though I had a 2nd dog who I knew he wouldn't want to leave, even if he didn't care about losing me! Not worth the risk in all honestly, until he knows you well enough to know where you are at all times even if he can't see you. Good luck with him, loving his name
scouse mouse
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-05-2011, 08:17 PM
hey guys - sorry if I seem to be "irresponsible" and putting Ringo's life in potential danger. All I can say about this is I had never been told this before now.

When I say I "rescued" him - I mean that I got him from a couple who were bored of him - partly because when they bought him as a young pup they were told he was a full BC.

If I had of gotten him from a rescue kennels and had of had the expertise of a rehomer to give me the advice about things such as recall etc I would of definately listened.

But now that you guys have given me some guidence I will take it all on board.

Thanks
Ollies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Have to agree with other posts ,but realise after your reply that its not your fault
Please come again on here for advice and re-assurance- we are all her to help and support each other.
Was going to ask about your name the other day -SCOUSE MOUSE and about his name-do you have Liverpool connections?
Hope all goes well for you both
Maureen
Lovesgsds
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Hope you have a fantastic time with Ringo x
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 08:35 PM
He sounds delightful - looking forward to seeing photos