Our sister sites
Our sister sites
roxybell1
New Member!
Female 

17-07-2011, 06:00 PM

KC good citizen award

Hi everyone
Just attended a kc dog show and my husband wanted to do the bronze award with our female rottie. The judge said that he couldn't enter it due to the fact that she already had it (she did it with me as the handler).

I was under the impression that the dog could do it more than once as long as the handlers were different each time. Am I correct in thinking this? (Been on the KC website but cannot find anything relating to this).
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by roxybell1 View Post
Hi everyone
Just attended a kc dog show and my husband wanted to do the bronze award with our female rottie. The judge said that he couldn't enter it due to the fact that she already had it (she did it with me as the handler).

I was under the impression that the dog could do it more than once as long as the handlers were different each time. Am I correct in thinking this? (Been on the KC website but cannot find anything relating to this).
Mine has done his bronze and silver twice, dont see the problem with it and I was the handler both times.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by roxybell1 View Post
Hi everyone

This is a problem with the test at Breed Shows, many of the judges have not really got a clue if they have not attended a KC Assessment Examiner Assessment course!

There is no limit to the amount of times a dog can do the exam as it is the handler and their relationship which is under test.

Can see no reason why anyone would want to go through any of the stages twice though?!
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
This is a problem with the test at Breed Shows, many of the judges have not really got a clue if they have not attended a KC Assessment Examiner Assessment course!

There is no limit to the amount of times a dog can do the exam as it is the handler and their relationship which is under test.

Can see no reason why anyone would want to go through any of the stages twice though?!
I did twice bronze as the 1st time was at my club, 2nd time was at Crufts. Silver I did twice as 1st time was original and 2nd time I was at the club helping them with good citizens and for the silver their werent as many dogs so got bored and joined in
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 08:07 AM
I did up to gold with Zane and was considering doing it again. It was someone on here (don't remember who) who told me this would be a waste of time effectively and that I can stil continue to train him and keep him efficient in what he's already learned.

I must say I'm pleased I took that advice and he hasn't done any of the tests again. TBH I don't think he's pass the,m at the moment (having yet another Kevin stage a 3 1/2 years old!! )
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2011, 10:27 AM
I can't see why you would want to do it again. Fiji took her bronze at a champ show some time after her course had finished (she was in season when they tested), the person taking it was approved by the kennel club as far as I know, she wasn't a breed judge, she only did the KC test on the day, all monies paid for the test were donated to charity.