Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I haven't read every post so I apologies for that.

But here we have 3 dogs, 13, 3 and 15months, we also have 5 cats ranging from 6 upto 15yrs, plus one rabbit, 2 guinea-pigs and chickens.

We are not anti kids either, as we are Foster Carers, but I think you have to assess situations carefully. I have never owner a dog that had just attacked, IMO a dog that ''just attacks'' is different from a dog that bites. I am probaly not explaining this very weel, but a dog that ''bites'' usually has a reason, a dog that does a ''attack'' without a reason, is different.

In our profession, we often have to spend a lot of time and monitoring the child to educate that child about animals and thier behaviour. I don't think it's a case of ''we've been lucky'' that our dogs take alot from strange children, because thats what they are when they first arrive, strangers.

It is more case of training the dog and child both separately and together, edicating both where the boundries lie and where each has thier own space.
It is hard having both child and animals as they have to be kept a eye on, as for my cats they never scratch, again thats not doen to luck, thats down to watching for the warning signs.
I got bitten (not badly) by my rabbit yesterday, but on reflection that was actually my fault as I picked her up from behind and I think I startled her.

I agree that once a dog has bitten, it is a worry as to whether they can be trusted not to do it again, but I think that to have that dog PTS would not be a option for me, although it would mean that a ''big'' investigation would take place from Social Services, but I think all aspects need to be looked at.

Slightly off topic but I was just wondering, where do Social Services stand on foster homes that have dogs? Of course, we all know that your dogs are perfectly fine with kids but, purely out of interest, just wondered where the Social Services stand on this and whether they have a list of certain breeds that are not suitable for foster homes. Presumably if a child were to be in a foster home and get seriously bitten by a dog, the SS would be responsible, ultimately. I'm in a bit of an inquisitive mood today
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
I Brundog, you are the first person I have come across in real life and on Forums that has said you would keep a dog and child together, even if your dog bit your child. No doubt we'll hear of others now that you have voiced your opinion on this. Quite interesting, really
Not sure about that.. I think the general consensus is that , people have stated it would depend on the circumstances..

Originally Posted by Brundog can honestly say, that for me to give Bruno up, he would have to seriously maul my child, and even then he would get every health check known to make sure that there was nothing wrong. I know I will be frowned on for this, but I KNOW he would never do it though, he just doesnt have it in him... I would not do it lightly and I would not do it for a bite.,.. it would only be a serious attack.
I think most would agree with this... you need to take into account the seriousness of the attack...
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
Slightly off topic but I was just wondering, where do Social Services stand on foster homes that have dogs? Of course, we all know that your dogs are perfectly fine with kids but, purely out of interest, just wondered where the Social Services stand on this and whether they have a list of certain breeds that are not suitable for foster homes. Presumably if a child were to be in a foster home and get seriously bitten by a dog, the SS would be responsible, ultimately. I'm in a bit of an inquisitive mood today
Your very right there, firstly I work for a agency that take either ''emergencies or behaviour issue children'' that the local authority carers either can not take or do not want to take because of the demanding behaviour.

My training (and pats of course) is to deal with the behaviour whether it be mental health or violent, as for the dogs, well it was insisted right from the start that the dogs were of a ''standard'' to meet with thier criteria on dogs and children.
First they had to be assessed by a animals behaviourist, who took notes on thier responses to thing, quick movements, (bearing in mind they are of herding breed) strange smells, taking of food from them, chews, putting hands into dishes whilst eating.
Thier reaction to being held both loosly and tightly, touching of teeth, feet, eyes, ears, back, tail etc.,
Then we had to take them to a place like dog borstal.... to assess our handling of them.
When we took Bruce 15 months ago I had to sign papers saying we had taken another dog, Bruce was assessed at 3 months (biting grips, playing, the picking up of etc) then again at 6 months, and again at 12 months, his next one will be 18 months.
Naturally if one of them bit, then investigations take place, the child is interviewed, we are, the dog (if not all) are re-assessed, now if they gave me the the order to PTS and I didn't then it is my own decision, but obviously if I kept that dog, then I would have to give up Fostering.

Hope that answers your question.

However if the attack was serious, then we'd be looking at a court case, brought up by Social Services....but then any dog attack can end up in a court case.

With cats they take a different stand....unless the cat flew into a freanzy, then there would be the same issues as a dog.

ps, as regards breeds, we have never been given a list, I know two carers that have SBT and Rotti's, but again they are really put through thier paces.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Your very right there, firstly I work for a agency that take either ''emergencies or behaviour issue children'' that the local authority carers either can not take or do not want to take because of the demanding behaviour.

My training (and pats of course) is to deal with the behaviour whether it be mental health or violent, as for the dogs, well it was insisted right from the start that the dogs were of a ''standard'' to meet with thier criteria on dogs and children.
First they had to be assessed by a animals behaviourist, who took notes on thier responses to thing, quick movements, (bearing in mind they are of herding breed) strange smells, taking of food from them, chews, putting hands into dishes whilst eating.
Thier reaction to being held both loosly and tightly, touching of teeth, feet, eyes, ears, back, tail etc.,
Then we had to take them to a place like dog borstal.... to assess our handling of them.
When we took Bruce 15 months ago I had to sign papers saying we had taken another dog, Bruce was assessed at 3 months (biting grips, playing, the picking up of etc) then again at 6 months, and again at 12 months, his next one will be 18 months.
Naturally if one of them bit, then investigations take place, the child is interviewed, we are, the dog (if not all) are re-assessed, now if they gave me the the order to PTS and I didn't then it is my own decision, but obviously if I kept that dog, then I would have to give up Fostering.

Hope that answers your question.

However if the attack was serious, then we'd be looking at a court case, brought up by Social Services....but then any dog attack can end up in a court case.

With cats they take a different stand....unless the cat flew into a freanzy, then there would be the same issues as a dog.

ps, as regards breeds, we have never been given a list, I know two carers that have SBT and Rotti's, but again they are really put through thier paces.
Thanks so much YS. That was really interesting reading. Seems the SS do take all the necessary precautions for children in their care. Your dogs must be absolutely marvellous to have got through all those assessments without a hitch You must be so proud of them. I certainly would be

Thanks again
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

05-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
As a mother and a dog owner, of what some have deemed and still deem an "unsuitable breed to have with children and have been accused of being selfish and stupid for owning one with children"...

I can honestly say, that for me to give Bruno up, he would have to seriously maul my child, and even then he would get every health check known to make sure that there was nothing wrong. I know I will be frowned on for this, but I KNOW he would never do it though, he just doesnt have it in him... I would not do it lightly and I would not do it for a bite.,.. it would only be a serious attack.

I have to say after saying all of the above, you never know what you would do til it happens though, and I dont think its fair to judge someone on their actions and cast them over for it.

I dont necessarily agree with what Greyhoundk did, but having not been there and not seeing how badly her child was bitten and the circumstances then I am not going to say what she should have done differently.

However I do take issue with the antikid comments, I dont think its one or the other, plenty of people have dogs and kids and the dog is another kid - Bruno is my first baby and I have the same level of love for them albeit in slightly different ways.

I dont like how it alwaysturns into one or the other in these type of discussions. It is possible to adore your dog and your child ..
I totally agree, I used to have 'a biter' of a cocker spaniel.
I had him before my first child was born and never considered getting rid of him let alone having him pts. He wasn't overly keen on the appearance of my son into his world either but he learned to live with it. With extra vigilance we managed with no major incidents at all. We did have a few minor ones but nothing that concerned me tbh. Strangely when my second son was born 8 years later Shannon the dog was completely devoted to him. My dog was my first baby too.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I totally agree, I used to have 'a biter' of a cocker spaniel.
I had him before my first child was born and never considered getting rid of him let alone having him pts. He wasn't overly keen on the appearance of my son into his world either but he learned to live with it. With extra vigilance we managed with no major incidents at all. We did have a few minor ones but nothing that concerned me tbh. Strangely when my second son was born 8 years later Shannon the dog was completely devoted to him. My dog was my first baby too.
There the key...extra vigilance, one of the things that the assessments with my three thats always comes to light in my head, is that we can be guilty of being compliancent, often I come away from the assessments, with a feeling of doing that from time to time.
We get comfy in our zone of ''they are fine'' I know I have been guilty of that, and often when out and some stranger asks....can my child stroke them....I have to remind myself not to just say ''yea thier fine'' I have to remember to say ....I think they would like that, just put your hand out so they can ''''come to you'''''
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

05-04-2009, 10:57 AM
There the key...extra vigilance, one of the things that the assessments with my three thats always comes to light in my head, is that we can be guilty of being compliancent, often I come away from the assessments, with a feeling of doing that from time to time.
We get comfy in our zone of ''they are fine'' I know I have been guilty of that, and often when out and some stranger asks....can my child stroke them....I have to remind myself not to just say ''yea thier fine'' I have to remember to say ....I think they would like that, just put your hand out so they can ''''come to you'''''
It sounds like hard work but it actually became second nature to be always on the ball. I just developed different ways of doing things to other mums I guess. My dog was my baby too and he wasn't nasty but he suffered from rage syndrome (and that's not me making excuses for him). He wasn't an easy dog but he was mine and he was 100% my responsibility.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2009, 04:33 PM
Cheeky Chihuahua - You are right in thinking that the rescue had my dog pts. I thought he would be re-homed with no kids but they obviously thought he was not suitable so thinking that they know what they're talking about i had to accept it (they did without telling me anyway, you effectively sign over ownership when they go to rescue)

You summed my thoughts up completely regarding anti kid people (you must be on my wavelength!- glad not everyones out to lynch me!)

Just for the record - my kids are dog savvy, and aware of what not to do etc my youngest was 5 when it happened - if my dog had bitten after being provoked it would have been a different thing.

Mmmm a cat scratching and a dog biting - don't think a cat is capable of mauling a child somehow....bit of a daft statement imo

I'll shut up now........
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
Cheeky Chihuahua - You are right in thinking that the rescue had my dog pts. I thought he would be re-homed with no kids but they obviously thought he was not suitable so thinking that they know what they're talking about i had to accept it (they did without telling me anyway, you effectively sign over ownership when they go to rescue)

You summed my thoughts up completely regarding anti kid people (you must be on my wavelength!- glad not everyones out to lynch me!)

Just for the record - my kids are dog savvy, and aware of what not to do etc my youngest was 5 when it happened - if my dog had bitten after being provoked it would have been a different thing.

Mmmm a cat scratching and a dog biting - don't think a cat is capable of mauling a child somehow....bit of a daft statement imo

I'll shut up now........
Yes, I've thought before that we seem to think alike on a few issues - nice to have some like-minded people on here, as I do seem to be light years away from some members on my thoughts on certain matters
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Yup I know what you mean .........
Page 11 of 14 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >