View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2007, 06:19 PM

2 Steps forward, 3 Steps back. (sorry long)

I have been so upset by this it has taken me a couple of weeks to be able to post about it.
Shady my 2.5yr old Rottie x GSD has had lots of behavioural problems all starting from being attacked by other dogs. She is very highly strung anyway (bad breeding) and had a bad start in life.
Anyway she ended up very fear aggresive with other dogs, fear aggresive towards traffic and children, in fact toward anything that rushed toward or past her. With adults though she is the most loving, soppy dog you could wish for.
I have over the past 2 years taken things very slowly with her, never taking her outside her comfort zone. Taking her to her place to walk by car most of the time or planning a very careful route and slowly she improved to the point she would happily play with her frisbee over the field with other carefully chosen dogs present that wouldn't leap all over her or chase or rush at her. (At one time the meer sight of another dog would set her off) She could tolerate cars on dry roads, most vans and even some lorries. Bikes as long as they didn't whiz up behind her and make her jump, she was accepting too and passing quietly. Then came the big breakthrough, she happily played around and sniffed an old golden retriever who just sat down and barked, accepted a Black Spanial walking up to us on the lead in the field which she had never seen before and allowed another small spanial, she had seen about quite a bit, to run over nearly to her, before it turned an run back to its owner. We were really getting there, still had a long way to go but to how she had been it was fantastic.
A few months ago we nearly went backwards when a woman with a border collie was going to let it charge up to shady while she was on lead down a footpath, I called to her and asked her to keep her dog with her as Shady really is not keen on Border Collies after having her tongue bitten by one and i didn't want Shady worried or to attack her dog, she just called back "Oh don't worry he will give as good as he gets" I was furious and told her in no uncertain terms to keep control of her dog, which she eventually did as I didn't want all my hard work undone.
Anyway a couple of weeks ago a similar thing happened only this time they wouldn't call thier dog back and it ran at Shady who I was proud to say although tensed showed no panic, but then it bit her on the neck and ran off as Shady lunged back panic stricken. The person just went on by and ignored the whole situation, I stayed calm as I didn't want to inflict my feelings on Shady although by this point Shady was all over the place with fear, and just calmly said you need to keep that ruddy dog under control, which they ignored and I didn't rant and rave for Shadys sake and because I thought she hadn't been hurt anyway.
After they were out of sight I made a fuss of her and found she was bleeding where the dog had actually drawn blood.
Her following outings were very disheartening as she was so anxious and even the traffic as well as any dog, or strange smell she was reacting badly to.
So we are now starting again, getting her confidence up and just praying some idiot owner doesn't come along and shatter her completely. She is the most beautiful girl who is just scared and anxious and I ask you all please if you see someone walking a dog on the lead, please don't let your dogs go rushing up, however friendly, you could be setting some poor dog back a mile. Please check with the owner first to see if thier dog would be ok with your dog running around them.
Remember the dog is more than likely on a lead for a reason.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2007, 06:58 PM
What a sorry situation for you when you have done so well. I'm going to mention the herbal calmers again. My Percy is fear aggressive but since being on the tablets he has improved dramatically so it may well help Shady by stopping her getting too frantic, as it seems tohave happened with Percy, and makes him far more able to cope in situations that would normally upset him.
Becky
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Glad you mentioned those Becky, I`ve had a chat with Madmare about doing just that and her skullcap & valerian tabs are on the cards now anyway because of fireworks month but I`ve suggested a top up with the liquid just before walks as well for a week and to see how she does with that.

We have had a session with Shady at my place in the last few days, with Shady on harness and long line [ with me doing that bit ], with Bev interacting and frisbree throwing for Shady so that Shady feels like she`s off lead, Bev has both hands free and can relax, knowing I can make sure Shady does`nt bolt if any of her fear enducers occurred [ traffic in the distance especially ], and we have talked about me going with them to the areas Shady is usually walked so I can see her in those environments and not just where I`m used to seeing her in the paddocks or at her house.
Its gutting that inconsiderate people can set back so much carefully done work which Bev has been putting in for Shady, but on the up side, Shady is a very intelligent girl indeed and I`m sure she`ll be able to get back on track quite quickly once her own - and Bevs - confidence is up again, I think she`ll be able to pick up from where she was and will continue to improve once she has got past this set back - Bev has the dedication to get her there thats for sure