Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sumbear880
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-02-2007, 02:45 AM

?Harness??

What was the name of the Harness to make your dog stop pulling? I have a 75lb Lab and she pulls a lot. I've tried everything to make her stop pulling. But in different enviroments or around people she doesn't know she gets so excited. I made a post last month asking for advice to make her stop pulling and some people gave me a name of some harness but I don't remember the name of the Harness. Can anyone help?
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 03:01 AM
This is the harness which Berger recommended

http://www.softouchconcepts.com/

Is that the one you were thinking of ?

If its not that one, if I may offer another for you to consider, I personally recommend, [ and use for all my crew ], a Trail Harness, the design of which is pictured here

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/shop_stor...e_1_p0097.html
Sumbear880
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-02-2007, 03:06 AM
Yeah I think that was it. The softtouch one. But that one has the leash hook to the front. Thats kinda weird.
What kind of dogs do you have that you use the trail harness on that you were talking about?
And does that ones leash hook onto the front?
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 03:25 AM
The one I use is on Collies and my Lurcher but I have lost count of how many I have fitted them on for other people with steam train dogs, from tinies up to Boxers and Rotties.

This is one of my crew modelling the optimum fitting for a Trail harness if it helps at all for you :smt001

Being pro-harness generally anyway, I recently got a variation of the concepts harness but mine clips to the collar at the front and is supposed to be used with two leads, one to the collar for working on loose lead with the second lead at the front of the harness as an `extra` for anti-pull work, so a handler can use one or other, or both leads in unison, depending on the situation and need at the time.
I will be testing it out on my friends dog [ she posts here as Madmare ]. Shady [ Rottie x Alsatian ] is recovered now after being very ill so I`ll be able to test it out soon before giving an opinion on that one.

The Trail harness I have been using for many, many years and have found it the best compared to all others I have tested [ so far ] :smt001
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 07:46 AM
We used a harness for Diesel as he too is a bit of a steam train but to be honest found it made him worse, are these different to the everyday "normal" harness as we have tried everything including a Canny Collar which he manages to pull off his nose, if he pulls and gets choked he doesnt seem to care

Our last Pei also had a harness, but he was never really a puller.

Would be interested to know how you get on xx
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 11:52 AM
My prt also keeps getting the canny collar off it worked though she's much better now.
my personal opinion of body harnesses is that a dog that pulls will be stronger with a body harness as they can get a lot more weight behind it. isn't that why they r used for sled dogs?
the only time i used one was for my dog that had kennel cough when i got him from a rescue kennels.

I could be wrong though.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by hayleybella View Post
My prt also keeps getting the canny collar off it worked though she's much better now.
my personal opinion of body harnesses is that a dog that pulls will be stronger with a body harness as they can get a lot more weight behind it. isn't that why they r used for sled dogs?
the only time i used one was for my dog that had kennel cough when i got him from a rescue kennels.

I could be wrong though.
This is what we found, because he wasnt in any discomfort from the harness he would power down the road dragging you behind him

I guess that made us the sled then
Jojo-eena
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Hi, I use a harness on my boy (7 month Dobe) he is strong but it is not a static harness, I do not find that these work as they can just use it to pull harder as Hayleybella says.
I use an 'Anti-pull' harness,

http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/non-pull-harness.php

it has an upward action so when the dog pulls it lifts his front end up. It is also fleece covered where it goes under the legs so does not rub and does not cut into his chest (which is important with big chested dogs)
Using this combined with stopping when he pulls and waiting till he lets the lead slack before walking on has really helped.
It has taken loads of patience though (taken about 3 weeks of being constant !!) but, finally, there is a huge difference in him, he still pulls occasionally but then he is still young.
Good luck and whatever you decide to use, remember to always be consistent
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Jojo-eena View Post
Hi, I use a harness on my boy (7 month Dobe) he is strong but it is not a static harness, I do not find that these work as they can just use it to pull harder as Hayleybella says.
I use an 'Anti-pull' harness,

http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/non-pull-harness.php

it has an upward action so when the dog pulls it lifts his front end up. It is also fleece covered where it goes under the legs so does not rub and does not cut into his chest (which is important with big chested dogs)
Using this combined with stopping when he pulls and waiting till he lets the lead slack before walking on has really helped.
It has taken loads of patience though (taken about 3 weeks of being constant !!) but, finally, there is a huge difference in him, he still pulls occasionally but then he is still young.
Good luck and whatever you decide to use, remember to always be consistent
See now this is the thing, D pulls so hard he ends up only walking on his back legs anyway, does it bother him, hell no, even with a normal collar he does this, oh well we will just have to persevere, he is always so excited to go out and he is always in a rush to get wherever we are going
Jojo-eena
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-02-2007, 01:14 PM
See now this is the thing, D pulls so hard he ends up only walking on his back legs anyway, does it bother him, hell no, even with a normal collar he does this

ha ha ha bless him ! have you tried not going forward when he pulls, until he slcks the lead off, an the other good one is the changing direction (have to be careful not to get dizzy though)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >